Any driver can fall victim to a truck accident. The consequences of these accidents are often life-changing, but help is available.
A New Orleans truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to pursue compensation on your behalf after this type of accident. We can handle all deadlines, communications, and paperwork in your case when we represent you, giving you time to start putting your life back together.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (504) 777-7777 to get started. An initial, no-obligation case review with a member of our team is free. If you qualify, we may be able to offer you representation on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payments required.
Truck Accident Liability
According to Louisiana State University’s Center for Analytics & Research in Transportation, in 2019, 43.1% of fatal road accidents in Louisiana involved a small truck or a van, while 9.3% of fatal road accidents involved a large truck. In other words, trucks of all sizes and vans played a role in more than half of all fatal traffic accidents in Louisiana that year.
Some truck accidents are the truck driver’s fault. A driver may ignore important driving laws, like the speed limit, or use drugs or alcohol while on the road. Negligent actions such as these could make a truck driver liable for an accident they cause. However, if the truck driver was an employee and working at the time of their accident, the company that employs them may be liable for the accident due to the legal principle of vicarious liability.
Other liable parties in a truck accident case may include:
- Another driver who got in the truck’s way
- A product manufacturer, if a defective auto part, like faulty brakes, caused the truck driver to lose control of the vehicle
- An employer who sets unsafe driving schedules or is responsible for improperly loading a truck
- A maintenance company that did not keep the truck or the roadway in good repair
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can investigate your accident and identify the liable party when we represent you. If you believe another party’s negligence caused your accident, call us at (504) 777-7777 for a free case evaluation with a member of our team.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call (337) 777-7777
Potentially Recoverable Damages
Damages in a truck accident case may generally be placed into one of just two categories: economic damages or non-economic damages.
Economic damages encompass the monetary losses you sustained because of the accident. These often include but are not limited to:
- Medical expenses: for people who received professional medical treatment for their injuries.
- Repair expenses: for people who had to repair or replace their vehicle because of the crash.
- Loss of income or benefits: for people whose injuries kept them home from work for any length of time.
- Loss of employment: for people who can no longer work or were fired because of their injuries.
Non-economic damages encompass the physical and/or mental losses you sustained because of the accident. These often include but are not limited to:
- Pain and suffering: for people who experienced physical and/or emotional anguish because of their injuries.
- Disability: for people whose physical or mental abilities were affected by their injuries.
- Scarring: for people whose injuries will leave large, disfiguring, or painful marks.
Alternatively, if you are pursuing compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit, the recoverable damages may include:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Pre-death medical care
- Loss of wages
- Loss of companionship
- And more
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can identify the damages you may qualify for and figure out what each of your damages may be worth in monetary terms when we represent you.
New Orleans Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Getting Help from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers on Your Case
Although you are able to file an insurance claim or lawsuit on your own, you may find it easier and less stressful to hire a lawyer to work on your behalf.
A New Orleans truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can assist you from the start of your case all the way to the end. If you hire us, we can provide you with a variety of services. This may include:
- Investigating the accident: including collecting evidence, such as surveillance video and police reports, to help build your case.
- Filing paperwork: including filing an insurance claim and/or lawsuit.
- Communicating with others: so you do not have to speak directly with the liable party, their lawyer, or their insurance company.
- Negotiating for a settlement: which may involve sitting down with the liable party’s insurance company and fighting for a fair settling offer.
- Going to trial: if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement.
We understand that the legal process can often seem complicated under the best of circumstances, never mind after an accident. If you ever have questions about your case, our procedures, or any other legal matter, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers welcomes your call.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
You may need to act quickly if you are thinking of seeking damages for your truck accident injuries. Civil Code (CC) §3492 limits the amount of time accident victims have to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit in Louisiana. In general, the time limit to sue is one year from the date of the accident. If you wait longer than this to take legal action, your lawsuit may be dismissed.
A New Orleans truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee-basis with no up-front payments necessary. We only collect attorney fees in this arrangement if and when you win your case and recover compensation.
For a free consultation on your truck accident case with a member of our team, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (504) 777-7777.