Truck accidents can cause severe injuries and fatalities to the occupants of passenger vehicles and often lead to complex lawsuits. If you were injured or lost a loved one in a Lafayette truck wreck, an attorney from our firm could help you pursue a settlement to cover your expenses.
You may be entitled to damages for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. After a crash, take the pressure off yourself by hiring a Lafayette truck accident lawyer from our law firm to file a claim and represent your case. Call us today to schedule your initial consultation.
Can I Sue for a Semi-Truck Accident in Lafayette?
You could sue for semi-truck damages if your lawyer can prove that your situation meets the criteria for a personal injury case. In seeking to meet these criteria, our team will work to prove that:
- The truck driver, the trucking company, or another liable party had a duty of care toward you.
- By being negligent and causing the collision, the liable party violated their duty of care.
- You suffered damages caused by the collision.
By hiring a personal injury lawyer from our firm, you can relax and focus on your recovery while our legal team works hard on your case.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accident lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 777-7777
Why You Should Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer
Hiring a Louisiana attorney is a good idea if you’ve been in a truck accident in Lafayette. These cases are more complicated than the typical passenger car accident claim. This complexity is due to the severity of your injuries and the possibility of multiple liable parties.
Your truck accident lawyer will use the available evidence to identify the liable party and prove the extent of your injuries. Having legal representation, you can rest assured that your rights will be protected throughout the proceedings.
How a Lafayette Truck Accident Attorney Can Protect Your Rights
The trucking company’s insurer may attempt to reduce any compensation owed to you. Our personal injury lawyers understand how insurance companies work. They can protect you from unsavory tactics used by insurance carriers or other lawyers.
An experienced truck accident attorney in Lafayette can protect you from:
- Making statements that might allow an insurance company or attorney to assign fault to you.
- Accepting an unfair settlement (our team calculates your damages to estimate your case’s full value).
- Submitting your case late due to slow responses from the insurance company.
Our team can help you navigate the claims and litigation process and answer any questions you have as your case progresses.
How Much a Truck Accident Lawyer Charges
Typically, victims walk away with more compensation when represented by an experienced attorney than they would if they handled their case alone. Since our personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, you won’t have to come up with money upfront. We only get paid when we win.
Furthermore, our law firm offers a free initial consultation to help assess the strength of your case and receive informed legal advice. You’ll also get valuable insight into your potential legal options to understand better the risks and rewards involved in pursuing legal action.
Lafayette Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Do Semi-Truck Accident Cases Go to Trial?
Insurance companies can be aggressive when it comes to settling cases quickly. An initial offer from an insurance agent may seem like a large amount of money, but it may not be enough to cover your future medical care and other damages.
According to Cornell University Law School, approximately 90% of personal injury lawsuits will settle without a trial. While we may settle your case outside of court, our personal injury law firm uses all available options to seek maximum compensation for victims like you.
Our truck accident lawyers in Lafayette take cases to trial whenever necessary and without hesitation.
How Long Does It Take To Settle a Semi-Truck Accident?
In addition to being more complex, semi-truck accident lawsuits may take longer to settle than cases involving only passenger vehicles. Truck companies generally carry a lot of insurance coverage. However, the insurers do not want to pay because it means giving up a large chunk of their profits.
Because of this, it can take time before an insurer will agree to a fair settlement. Other factors may also prolong your case, including:
- Case investigation: It may take time for law enforcement or our investigative team to determine the accident’s cause. For example, if a vehicle malfunction caused the wreck, it may take further investigation to determine whether the truck manufacturer or a mechanic is liable.
- Data retrieval: Semi-trucks maintain a device often referred to as a “black box,” which holds data about the truck’s performance. You have a right to request this information from the trucking company. However, the company may resist granting you this evidence, which could stall your legal efforts.
- Witnesses: Eyewitnesses play a crucial role in personal injury cases, as they can provide an accurate account of the crash. Contacting people and convincing them to testify in your case may take effort. It could also take time to find them and record their witness statements.
Determining Liability for Your Truck Accident Injuries
Suffering an injury in a commercial trucking accident does not automatically entitle you to monetary compensation. You must establish that the other party was liable, and our team will help you build an evidence-based case.
You may sue more than one negligent party for your injuries. However, for this to happen, your attorney will need to identify the responsible parties. Liability for your truck crash injuries can rest on the shoulders of multiple defendants, which may include:
- The truck driver behind the wheel during the collision
- The trucking company employing the driver
- The truck’s manufacturer
- The manufacturer of a specific vehicle part
- The maintenance company servicing the truck
- The company loading the cargo
- A municipality governing road conditions where the wreck took place
- A third-party driver who caused you to get into a crash with the truck
The Law May Be on Your Side
Federal and state laws regarding hours of service and training are in place to keep drivers safe. When a commercial driver takes a risk behind the wheel or a trucking business places profits over people, they harm others.
You can often go after the company, even when the driver is an independent contractor. Our experienced truck accident lawyers in Lafayette will leave no stone unturned when pursuing financial compensation for your injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Seeking Compensation After Fatal Truck Accidents
If your loved one died in a fatal 18-wheeler accident, you might want to reach out to a wrongful death lawyer from our firm. Managing a wrongful death claim while grieving a loved one’s passing can be emotionally overwhelming, especially if you have to relive the traumatic events.
However, you do not have to face this legal battle alone. Our personal injury law firm is here to help.
One of our Lafayette wrongful death attorneys will organize your case and stand beside you from start to finish. Our team of attorneys, paralegals, and investigators will:
- Complete a full investigation of your truck accident in Lafayette: The investigation will be one of the earliest steps in your case. We’ll pursue any evidence that may be useful to your claim, consult witnesses to your truck accident, and preserve all evidence we collect.
- Determine the cost of your damages: We will account for current and future damages related to your truck accident. With the help of experts, we’ll assign a monetary value to each damage. The total cost we calculate will show you how much compensation to pursue.
- Do the paperwork necessary to complete your case: As you might expect, lawsuits and insurance claims are impossible without substantial documentation. Our team takes the administrative burden off our clients as we handle your paperwork and communications.
- Dealing with trucking companies and their representatives: The goal of a liable trucking company is in direct opposition to yours. We will deal with these companies for you, whether it is to gather evidence, negotiate a settlement, or win in court.
- Fight tirelessly for your financial recovery: We will help you secure the financial recovery you deserve. Whether through an insurance payment, settlement, or verdict, we will never lose sight of this goal.
Our experienced lawyers will fight relentlessly for your financial recovery during this challenging time. This will allow you to focus all your attention on your physical and emotional well-being.
Former Client Explains Why You Should Hire Our Personal Injury Lawyers
It may be helpful to read the experiences of clients we’ve represented in the past. Our client testimonials allow you to anticipate how we will treat you when you work with us. Here’s one example:
“This law firm is amazing. I traveled about an hour and thirty minutes to their location. I was nervous because this was my first time acquiring a lawyer. As soon as I entered, I was welcomed with open arms. Very comfortable. Nice southern hospitality.”
Because we maintain offices in Lafayette, you will receive personalized legal assistance throughout your case. If you need help, you can call our team anytime or visit our offices. You will always receive the help you need when our Lafayette truck accident attorneys handle your case.
Types of Damages You May Qualify for in a Wrongful Death Case
Depending on the circumstances of your legal claim and your relationship with the decedent, you may be entitled to damages for:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of future income
- Loss of inheritance
- Medical expenses
- Emotional trauma
- Punitive damages
These are a few examples of damages your lawyer may pursue in a wrongful death lawsuit. The damages you can claim will depend on the specifics of your case. For example, punitive damages are awarded in rare situations where the defendant acted maliciously or egregiously.
Louisiana’s Statute of Limitations May Apply to Your Lafayette Truck Accident Case
Time is generally not on your side due to Louisiana’s statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits. According to CC Art. 3492, you only have one year to file a civil action, barring extenuating circumstances. This window is smaller than allowed by other states.
Getting help from a truck accident lawyer in Lafayette right away is one way to ensure you do not miss important deadlines in your case. Taking immediate action also ensures that evidence does not get lost or covered up and memories of the event remain fresh in people’s minds.
Filing a Trucking Accident Claim Allows You To Pursue Compensation for Damages
A truck accident could result in severe consequences in a variety of contexts. When filing your personal injury claim or lawsuit, we can list all the damages you suffered in a demand letter for compensation. Your damages will typically fall into two categories:
Economic damages refer to financial losses suffered from the accident and resulting injuries. Victims may suffer costly and debilitating injuries like broken bones, traumatic brain injury (TBI), and burns.
Both past and present medical bills may pile up as a result of treatment for your injuries and are one type of economic damage you may suffer. Your current and future loss of income may further contribute to your financial hardship. Other economic damages may include:
- Property damage expenses, such as costs to repair or replace your vehicle
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Expenses for medical equipment, such as a wheelchair, crutches, or a neck brace
- Prescription medication costs
- Physical therapy expenses
- Mileage costs to travel to doctor appointments
Beyond monetary burdens, a truck accident could result in non-economic damages, which refer to physical and emotional losses. These more intangible damages may include:
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Reduced quality of life
- Permanent disability
- Emotional distress
- Psychological trauma
- Physical disfigurement
Every situation is unique, but a truck accident attorney in Lafayette will seek compensation for the recoverable damages that apply to your case.
Causes of Truck Accidents
To prove negligence, we may use evidence from the crash scene, our investigation results, your medical records, and expert opinions. Possible truck accident causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Driver fatigue
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driver error or lapse in judgment
- Aggressive driving
- Carrying excessive loads
- Improper truck maintenance
- Not exercising caution in adverse weather conditions
- Inadequate training
- Ignoring federal regulations that limit cargo
Trucking companies that fail to invest in their drivers or trucks may violate their duties of care. Often, they are found to be at least partially at fault when an accident occurs.
Our Lawyers Have Won Several Multi-Million-Dollar Settlements
Our team has more than 250 years of combined experience that we are ready to put to work for you. Our financial recoveries for clients include:
- A $7 million judgment for an injured 18-wheeler driver
- A $2.7 million settlement for a commercial truck accident victim
- A $1.8 million settlement for a semi-truck accident operator
- A $1.75 million trial verdict for a commercial vehicle accident victim
- A $1 million settlement for victims in a truck accident claim
Many personal injury cases settle out of court. We are ready to take your case to trial if we cannot agree with the other party. No one should pay out of pocket for expenses due to the negligent actions of another person. If your life was interrupted by a truck accident in Lafayette, we are here to help.
What Are the Most Common Types of Truck Accident Cases?
Commercial truck accidents can happen under many different circumstances. Understanding the nature of these collisions can be helpful when pursuing compensation.
Once we determine how negligence played a part in your Lafayette truck accident, we will gather evidence to support your claim. Truck accident types for which we seek compensation include:
- Rear-end collisions: Rear-end collisions happen when a truck strikes the rear of the vehicle in front of it. A rear-end truck collision usually occurs when the truck driver follows the other vehicle too closely or exceeds the speed limit.
- Wide-turn accidents: Commercial trucks require a much larger turn radius than other vehicles. When these massive trucks turn wide, they can strike nearby vehicles.
- Head-on collisions: These devastating accidents occur when the front end of a truck strikes the front of another vehicle. They may occur on two-lane highways, in parking lots, or dangerous weather conditions with low visibility.
- Jackknife accidents: Jackknife wrecks get their name from the shape of a commercial truck when it loses control. These accidents occur when a truck folds in on itself like a pocket knife before sliding sideways. Sometimes another vehicle gets caught in the middle.
- Side-impact accidents: A side-impact collision happens when a commercial truck strikes the side of another vehicle. This scenario can happen at intersections or when another vehicle travels parallel to a large truck.
Sharing Fault in a Truck Accident
Some jurisdictions bar an injured party from pursuing compensation if they share fault for an accident. Fortunately, this is not the case in Louisiana.
You can pursue financial compensation following a crash, even if you are partially at fault. Our lawyers can help you better understand your rights when you contact us.
Call Our Team Today To Start Building Your Lafayette Truck Accident Case
Facing long-term health consequences after a devastating truck accident is never easy. While financial compensation cannot undo all you’ve endured, it could provide the support you need to manage your injuries. Laborde Earles is dedicated to every case we handle.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury in a truck accident, one of our truck accident attorneys in Lafayette is ready to assist you. Our experienced legal team will guide you through every step of your case while treating you with the utmost care and respect.
Contact us today for a free consultation with a Lafayette truck accident lawyer.