If you were injured in an accident in Cankton, LA, you may have the basis for a personal injury lawsuit. One of our attorneys can help you seek compensation from the responsible party. The extent of your injuries and how much it costs to treat them will play a significant role in assessing the value of your case.
A Cankton personal injury lawyer from our firm wants to help. When you choose Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers to represent you, we handle every aspect of your case while you recover. Speaking with one of our representatives can clear up any misconceptions you may have about the legal process – we’ll review your case at no cost today.
Seeking Personal Injury Compensation in Louisiana
An injury can wreak havoc on all aspects of your life, including your financial, physical, and emotional health. That is why accident victims have the legal right to seek compensation for all of these types of damages when another party caused them. We’ve outlined common recoverable damages below.
Economic Damages Address Expenses and Financial Losses
Our personal injury lawyers can often seek the cost of medical bills and lost wages from the party responsible for an accident. These are known as economic damages, meaning that they compensate victims for financial harm related to an injury. Examples include:
- Emergency medical expenses
- Therapy and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages during the recovery period
- Reduced earning capacity
- The cost of repairing or replacing personal property
Our team calculates such damages using receipts, invoices, pay stubs, and other documents that outline their monetary value.
Non-Economic Damages Address Pain and Suffering
Non-economic damages – such as emotional trauma and mental anguish – do not come with an established cost, so it takes more steps to put a price on them. Generally, the more severe your injuries, the more you can receive for non-economic damages. Other examples include:
- Loss of consortium
- Permanent disability
- Temporary disability
- Pain and suffering
- Reduced quality of life
You deserve to be compensated for every aspect of your injuries if someone else caused them. A personal injury lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can seek financial recovery for both types of damages.
Documents That May Support Your Personal Injury Lawsuit
To recover compensation, our attorneys must do more than prove you were injured. We must also show that the negligent party’s actions caused your losses.
Proving your damages and their cause can require a large amount of legwork and evidence. Some supporting documents we aim to gather include:
- Medical records that outline your injuries and the treatment they will require
- Police reports, workplace incident reports, inspection reports, and other documents that contain details on how and where your injuries occurred
- Witness statements that verify your claims, along with contact information that allows our team to reach each witness
A personal injury lawyer from our firm can help you collect the materials you need to show how your Cankton accident affected you. We also handle all other steps necessary in your case.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
What Our Personal Injury Team Can Do for You
Among other things, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can make the claims and legal process more manageable by:
- Assessing your case for free: When you call for a complimentary consultation, a member of our team will review the type of accident you were involved in, how it has affected your life, and how you might be able to recover damages.
- Determining who is liable: Even if you already know who caused your injury, there may be additional liable parties we can name in your case. We investigate to definitively determine who the subject(s) of your suit should be.
- Calculating what you should ask for: Our attorneys can speak to you, collect evidence, and review similar cases to determine the monetary worth of your case – in other words, how much you should seek from the liable party or parties.
- Keeping you involved: Although our firm manages your case, it is still up to you to decide what direction you want your case to go. We can provide the information and support you need to make intelligent, logical decisions.
- Fighting as long and as hard as necessary: Most personal injury cases are settled out of court. However, we have no problem taking your case to trial, should we not be able to secure a fair settlement offer from the liable party.
- Handling all administrative tasks: From notifying and staying in touch with the liable party about your lawsuit to submitting evidence, we can take care of every legal task for you.
We handle all of the above on a contingency-fee basis. This fee arrangement means that we do not get paid attorney’s fees until the very end of your case. However, if we cannot successfully secure compensation on your behalf, you do not have to pay us these fees.
Personal Injury Cases Our Attorneys Handle in Cankton
Negligence comes in many different forms. Just because a party did not intentionally cause you harm does not mean they are excluded from liability. Some examples of the personal injury cases we handle include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Maritime accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Product liability
- Dog bites
- Mass torts
- Premise liability, including slip and fall
- Dangerous drugs
- Defective products
- Wrongful death
Each of these situations comes with its own unique set of rules and factors. For example, evidence regarding a truck accident may look very different than the evidence needed for a defective product case. Bearing this in mind, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can determine the nuances of your case and move forward on your behalf.
Louisiana Laws and Other Factors to Consider
There may be other laws and circumstances that affect your ability to collect damages. These may include but are not limited to:
- Comparative fault laws: “Comparative fault” means that fault for an accident can apply to multiple parties, including yourself. If a jury decides you are partly responsible, it can reduce your financial recovery, per CC Art. 2323.
- The statute of limitations: You have up to a year to file a civil action for personal injury in Louisiana, as codified at CC Art. 3492. If the time to file your case runs out, you will have to carry the full financial burden of your losses.
- The liable party’s insurance: In many cases, the liable party will have insurance to help cover damages they caused. However, if they are uninsured or underinsured, it may be more difficult to collect the money you seek.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers would like to get started on your case as soon as possible. We can help you navigate the above challenges and seek compensation to pay your bills, support your family, and hold the liable party accountable for their negligence.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Get a Complimentary Review of Your Cankton Personal Injury Case
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers has the resources you need to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. By gathering evidence of your accident, negotiating with the other parties, and promptly filing your case, a Cankton lawyer from our office shoulders your legal burden while you recover from your injuries.
Members of our team are standing by to take your call. For a free consultation, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777.