Office InformationAddress Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers
1901 Kaliste Saloom Rd,
Lafayette, LA 70508, United States
Phone: (337) 777-7777
The personal injury lawyer who represents you may also guide you in calculating the types and amounts of your recoverable damages, which may include:
Get the Help You Need
Call (337) 777-7777To Schedule a Free Consultation! 24 hours a day • 7 days a week
After you get hurt, your family’s future may be on the line. You may wonder when you can go back to work, how to cover your medical bills, or in the case of a wrongful death, how to move forward now that your family’s breadwinner is deceased.
Our Lafayette, LA, personal injury attorneys understand our clients’ needs. Our team has helped our clients recover more than $200 million in settlements and awards. We will put our knowledge and experience to work on your legal claim, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Common Personal Injuries
Often people who suffer injuries due to another person’s negligence are unsure if they have grounds for a personal injury claim. For example, you may believe your injuries are not severe enough to warrant legal action.
However, it is important to remember that your injuries will not necessarily determine whether you have the right to financial compensation. Instead, your attorney will need to carefully review how your life has been negatively affected by your injuries or the accident to determine whether you have grounds for a claim.
Some injuries are seen more frequently in Lafayette personal injury claims than others. These include:
- Organ failure
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Internal injuries
- Lacerations, contusion, and abrasions
- Head, neck, and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Compound fractures
- Bone breaks
After your accident, you should get medical attention to get the proper medical treatment for your wounds. If you suffered another type of injury not listed above, you might still have the opportunity to recover compensation for your suffering.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle in Lafayette
If you need a personal injury lawyer in Lafayette, you’ll want to hire an attorney who has successfully settled claims for your specific type of accident and injury. Our team has more than 250 collective years of experience in the following practice areas:
- Bicycle accidents: The most common causes of bicycle accidents include speeding, lack of attention, poor road conditions, fatigue, inexperience, alcohol use, distraction, and improper equipment.
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car accidents happen when drivers are distracted while driving. Distracted driving includes talking on cell phones, eating food, drinking alcohol, texting, and using navigation systems.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycle accidents are caused by human error, such as speeding, distracted driving, drunk driving, and reckless riding.
- Pedestrian accidents: Pedestrian accidents occur when drivers fail to see pedestrians crossing the road.
- Truck accidents: Commercial truck accidents occur when drivers are distracted while driving. Distracted driving can be caused by texting, talking on the phone, eating food, drinking alcohol, and using drugs.
- Dog bites: Dog bites occur when people taunt them or when a dog is protecting its owner or territory.
- Oil rig injuries: These are some of the most serious and life-altering workplace injuries that can occur. Common causes of oil rig injuries include explosions, fires, falls from heights, hazardous chemicals, and heavy machinery accidents.
- Wrongful death: When someone dies due to another person’s negligence, you may have a wrongful death lawsuit. The victim’s family can sue for damages if they believe the other party was negligent.
- Maritime injury: Defects in a ship’s design, construction, maintenance, operation, or navigation can lead to maritime injuries.
- Catastrophic injuries: Catastrophic injuries are severe and life-altering. These include spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, amputations, paralysis, and severe burns.
- Rideshare accidents: Unfortunately, accidents involving rideshare vehicles can be complicated to navigate. If you’ve been injured in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle, it’s important to seek the help of an experienced Lafayette personal injury lawyer.
The Time Limit for Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Louisiana
Louisiana has a time limit on filing a personal injury claim. L.C.C. §3492 states that the period for filing a personal injury claim is limited to one year under most circumstances. If you wish to seek compensation, you must file your claim within one year of sustaining an injury.
We Get Results for Our Louisiana Clients
The client testimonial videos on this page will show how we have helped families move on with their lives after serious injuries. When you choose us to represent your Louisiana personal injury lawsuit, you can be confident that you are in capable hands.
Settlements and Verdicts
The following results we have gotten for our clients are not a guarantee that a Lafayette car accident lawyer can get you a similar settlement. Rather, these examples show how much a case can be worth when you understand its full value.
- Settlement of $23 million for the wrongful death of a mother
- Settlement of $7 million for an 18-wheeler accident
- Settlement of $5.5 million for an injured maritime worker
- Settlement of $2 million for a car accident resulting in spinal cord injuries
When you work with us, a personal injury lawyer can look at the evidence and give you an estimated settlement for your case.
The Basics of Comparative Negligence
In some cases, an injury victim is partially negligent for their injuries and, therefore, responsible for a portion of their damages. For example, if a speeding driver is struck by another driver who ran a red light, both drivers may be partly responsible for their injuries.
In these cases, Louisiana follows a principle of “comparative negligence” or “comparative fault.”
According to Louisiana Civil Code § 2323, any negligence on the plaintiff’s part results in a proportional reduction in their final damage award. For example, if a jury decides that a plaintiff is 20% responsible for their injuries, their damage award would be reduced by 20%.
The problem with this civil code is its inconsistency, according to the Louisiana Law Review. A personal injury lawyer in Lafayette could provide additional information on comparative negligence and whether it may apply to your case. We will make sure you are treated fairly under the law.
Damages You Can Recover After Your Accident
The consequences of an accident may vary from case to case. Current and future medical bills resulting from an injury are often extensive and may pose a severe financial hardship. These typically form the foundation of a settlement demand or civil court case.
While paying the medical costs, you may experience a loss of potential income. If an injury is substantial enough to prevent you from working, this may induce a heavy financial burden.
Beyond the financial difficulties of an injury, there may also be psychological and emotional difficulties. This could include:
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Mental anguish
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship
A Lafayette personal injury lawyer can investigate your case, catalog your damages, and pursue compensation for all the losses you have suffered.
What to Expect From the Personal Injury Claims Process
The personal injury claims process in Lafayette can be intimidating. However, once you understand what to expect from it, you can feel more confident in your decision to seek justice. Here is a basic idea of what you can expect after hiring a personal injury attorney to take on your case:
- We begin investigating the accident.
- We gather the evidence needed to prove liability.
- We calculate the value of your damages.
- We prepare to file your claim with the insurance company.
- We handle the insurance negotiation process.
- We prepare your case for trial.
- We advocate for your right to maximum compensation in court.
Keep in mind that the personal injury claims process can vary considerably on a case-by-case basis. For example, some accident victims may be able to settle their case outside of court with the insurance company, while others may need to bring their case to court to recover total compensation. You can get a better idea of the claims process for your case when you contact your attorney for help.
Should I get Legal Representation?
The first step towards recovering monetary compensation is deciding whether to hire a lawyer. If you’re considering filing a lawsuit against someone responsible for causing your injuries, consider speaking with a personal injury attorney about your options.
You don’t want to go through the entire process without knowing what you’re doing. That’s why you should speak with a professional before making any decisions. At our personal injury law firm, we work hard to ensure that our clients receive the best possible representation.
You can trust us to handle your claim quickly and efficiently. We’ll take care of everything so you can focus on recovering.
Do I Have To Go to Court After an Accident?
Whether or not you go to court will depend on the circumstances of your case. For example, in some instances, the insurance company may be willing to negotiate a settlement with you outside of court. This can be beneficial because it allows you to avoid the time and expense of a trial.
However, if, during the settlement process, the at-fault party is unwilling to negotiate, you may need to take your case to court. When this happens, it’s important to have an experienced accident attorney on your side to ensure that your rights are protected, and your interests are properly represented.
We understand the stress and difficulty of going through the legal process, especially after a devastating accident. That’s why we’re here to help. We’ll work hard for you and will answer all your questions every step of the way.
Will I Get a Bigger Settlement with a Personal Injury Attorney?
When you’ve been injured in an accident, you may wonder if hiring a personal injury attorney will help you get a bigger settlement. The answer is often yes; having an experienced Lafayette personal injury lawyer on your side can have a positive impact on the outcome of your case.
An experienced attorney understands the ins and outs of the legal system and can help you build a strong compensation case. They also know the tricks insurance companies try to employ to avoid paying your damages. Further, they will negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company to get you the best possible settlement.
Our Team Has Decades of Experience
We’ve been helping injured people get fair compensation for decades. We know how to deal with insurers and recover money for personal injury claims. Our attorneys have helped thousands of clients win millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements.
We have helped clients with the following:
- Physical injuries
- Property damage
- Catastrophic injuries
We provide legal advice with our decades of legal experience. We are a team of lawyers providing legal services to individuals and businesses in personal injury.
Our attorneys have 250 years of combined experience, allowing us to understand your needs and develop an effective strategy to help you achieve your goals. Our personal injury law firm is committed to helping people recover from injuries caused by another party’s negligence or wrongdoing.
How Insurance Companies Settle Personal Injury Claims
If there’s one thing our legal professionals understand, it’s that insurance claims adjusters will try several ways to trick the injured into accepting liability.
Insurance companies settle claims by preying upon desperate injury victims during their most vulnerable moments. They know you need money to cover your bills, so they’ll offer you less than you need to make a full recovery to get your case out of the way. We won’t let them get away with it.
Contact a Lafayette Personal Injury Attorney Today
In the event of a personal injury, getting immediate and thorough medical attention is your best bet for a speedy recovery. Afterward, give a personal injury lawyer in Lafayette a call to see if you might be eligible to collect compensation for your damages.
A skilled attorney could review your injury claim and conduct any necessary investigations. In the process, they will advise you of your legal options and act as your advocate throughout every stage of your case. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation and see what we can do for your case.