Owning and maintaining a property is a big responsibility. Anyone who fails to live up to this responsibility may put their visitors at risk and leave themselves open to a lawsuit.
If you believe your accident was caused by a neglectful New Orleans property owner, you could seek compensation from them. A premises liability lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to represent you and handle your case. Our firm can file an insurance claim or lawsuit on your behalf while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
How Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Can Support You
A premises liability lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can handle a wide range of tasks on your behalf when we represent you in New Orleans. This may include:
- Communicating on your behalf: We can manage all communications with insurance companies, lawyers, and other parties in the case.
- Calculating damages: We can identify your damages and collect evidence of their value.
- Finding all liable parties: We can investigate the case to make sure we understand exactly how your accident happened and who may be held accountable. If multiple parties share liability for your accident, we can pursue them all for compensation.
- Filing your insurance claim or lawsuit: We can notify all liable parties that you are filing an insurance claim or lawsuit against them.
- Negotiating a settlement: You do not have to face the insurance company alone. We are happy to assume the role of the negotiator and fight for a fair settlement offer on your behalf.
- Going to trial: In cases where the insurance company just will not make a fair offer, we are more than willing to take the case to trial.
We will endlessly advocate for you, fighting for the best outcome in your case. If you were hurt in a preventable accident that a negligent party is responsible for, you deserve justice and compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a premises liability lawyer serving New Orleans, call (504) 777-7777
What Premises Liability Means
Property owners or managers may be liable for any injuries that occur on their property. A premises liability accident can occur:
- In a storefront, a restaurant, or another type of commercial building
- In a private home
- In an apartment or hotel
- At a school
- On a private sidewalk or parking lot
- At a stadium or arena
- Other locations
Typically, the accident victim must prove that the owner or manager of the property knew or should have known about a potential hazard and did nothing about it. Potential hazards may include:
- Broken stairways or lack of handrails
- Wet floors, which may result in slip and fall accidents
- Torn/ripped carpeting
- Overgrown grass or hedges
- Loose dogs
- Lack of warning signs regarding potential hazards
- Negligent security
- Poor lighting
- And more
Common Consequences of a Premises Liability Incident
Premises liability accidents can harm people of any age, but when it comes to falls, individuals 65 and older may be at particular risk of sustaining severe injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 20% of falls suffered by older adults result in a serious injury, such as a fracture.
Other potential consequences of falls and similar accidents include:
- Head or brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Psychological trauma
If you were hurt in a premises liability accident, make sure to receive treatment for your injuries from a doctor as soon as possible. You may feel like your injuries are not severe and there is no need to see a doctor, but you could develop worse symptoms in the next few weeks or months. Brain injuries, for example, can take time to manifest.
You do not want to wait to get medical attention, as it is important to establish the link between your injuries and the accident and to continue to see your doctor for follow-up appointments. If you wait to see a doctor, the insurance company may argue that your injuries came from elsewhere as a way to avoid paying you anything.
New Orleans Premises Liability Lawyer Near Me (504) 777-7777
Recoverable Damages in a Premises Liability Case
Accidents can affect your life in so many different ways. You may have painful or permanent injuries that require expensive treatments. You may have to take time off of work to recover, take a lower-paying job due to your injuries, or give up your career altogether. You might have lost a loved one in the accident.
You may be able to seek compensation for your damages in a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. In a personal injury action, the recoverable damages may include:
- Medical expenses: If you needed to go to a doctor, hospital, pharmacy, or rehabilitation center, or if you needed to buy medication or assistive devices
- Lost income: If you could not go to work because of your accident
- Loss of employment: If your injuries prevent you from resuming your career
- Pain and suffering: If you were (or are) in physical or emotional pain because of your injuries, which may refer to mental disorders acquired or worsened because of the accident itself, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Reduced quality of life: If you are no longer able to do the things you used to, such as traveling or socializing freely, or even basic things like cooking or getting dressed
- Disfigurement: If your injuries were bad enough to leave permanent scars
In a wrongful death action, the recoverable damages may include:
- Funeral and burial expenses: To lay your loved one to rest
- Pre-death medical care: If your loved one required treatment from the accident prior to their death
- Loss of wages: For income previously provided by your loved one
- Loss of companionship: For the absence of your loved one’s affection and emotional support in the future
Our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers believes that you should not have to pay for an accident caused by someone else’s negligence. We offer free consultations where you will speak with a dedicated team member about your accident so we can learn the facts and discuss your options with you.
Our Firm Takes Cases on Contingency
If the accident has left you struggling financially, you may be reluctant to spend money on a lawyer. That is why Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers works on a contingency-fee basis. In this arrangement, we charge you nothing up front, and we only collect our attorney fee if and when we are able to get you compensation. Our fee comes from the settlement or court award we potentially secure for you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Don’t Delay in Taking Action
It’s beneficial to act soon, as CC Art. 3492 imposes a general statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits in Louisiana. One of our lawyers will need as much time as possible to create a solid case. There is evidence to gather and witnesses to interview, among other important actions.
You do not want to miss the deadline to take action and risk having your case dismissed, losing the ability to receive compensation you deserve.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we know that recovering from an accident can be very difficult, both physically and emotionally. If you qualify, a premises liability lawyer from our firm would be happy to take the weight of your case off your shoulders and fight for compensation on your behalf. You should only have to focus on recuperating; we’ll handle the rest.
Give Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers a call today at (504) 777-7777 for a free consultation on your case with a member of our New Orleans team.