Physical injuries and property damage from a boating accident can leave you with serious financial consequences. If you or someone you love suffered injuries in a boating accident, you might have the basis of a personal injury claim or lawsuit. You could recover compensation for your accident-related damages.
A New Orleans boating accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can manage the entire legal process on your behalf.
The personal injury lawyer who represents you may also guide you in calculating the types and amounts of your recoverable damages, which may include:
Get the Help You Need
Call (504) 777-7777To Schedule a Free Consultation! 24 hours a day • 7 days a week
How Our Boat Accident Lawyers Can Help You
Boating accident cases are not always straightforward. A law firm without experience handling boat-related cases may not know the nuances of Louisiana’s boating laws and regulations. Our law firm handles boating accident cases in New Orleans and does so regularly. As a result, we have the knowledge and experience that boat accident victims like you deserve.
You may choose to hire our firm in particular for several reasons, including:
Your Unfamiliarity with the Legal Process
Those who have never brought a boat accident claim may lack basic knowledge of:
- What to expect from the legal process
- Settlement negotiations
- Boating laws in Louisiana
- Legal concepts specific to personal injury law
Experience matters when trying a boating accident case in New Orleans. Our firm has plenty of it, having recovered over $600 million for our clients. In addition, our attorneys have legal training and knowledge of boat accident laws.
Your Physical and Psychological Injuries
Your boating accident may have caused significant injuries. Even worse, you may have lost a loved one. You could be dealing with physical and psychological injuries that make it difficult to represent yourself effectively. Trying to handle a legal case when you are physically or psychologically compromised could:
- Cause your injuries to worsen
- Lead to new health problems
- Allow less time for you to rest, recover, and rehabilitate
- Diminish the quality of your case
Your health should be the priority after a boating accident. Our firm will manage your legal case so that you can get better.
Your Appreciation of Our Experience and Results
Seeking justice for accident victims is what we do. Personal injury law is not our hobby but our job and passion. Many accident victims prefer to have a dedicated professional handle their case, so they choose us to represent them.
Our Track Record Speaks for Itself
We are proud of our results in settlement negotiations and court. Our recoveries for clients include several multi-million-dollar recoveries—$23 million, $17 million, $10.4 million, $7 million, and many more.
While these recoveries show our firm’s hard work, we are just as proud of the reviews that former clients have left for our us:
- “Integrity, professionalism, and most important the willingness to go above and beyond expectations.” – Tara, former client
- “Laborde Earles is by your side always. I don’t know where I’d be without the help from them. Very firm, professional [and] keeps me posted on my case.” – Keana, former client
- “Laborde Earles law firm was a blessing during the most difficult time of my life. They are compassionate and very professional with great attention to detail.” – Cory, former client
A law firm should go the extra mile for its clients. We want you to be as comfortable as possible with our representation. Therefore, we will answer your questions clearly and directly, respond promptly to calls and emails, and honor any specific requests you have of us.
We have a shared goal with every client: to obtain a fair financial recovery.
More Reasons to Hire Our Firm for Your New Orleans Boating Accident Case
We have the results and client testimonials that injured victims of boat accidents would want from their lawyers. And yet, there are even more reasons to consider our firm for your case, including:
- Our consistent client service: When you review the testimonials of our former clients, you will notice consistent praise for our level of client service. Boating accident cases are not just about the financial result but also how our firm serves the client. So expect us to go the extra mile for you.
- Our presence in New Orleans: We maintain an office in New Orleans. This local presence is extremely important in injury cases. We will be able to respond quickly and thoroughly to all your needs. From visiting the accident scene to meeting with you in person, you will have the full support of our local team.
- Our attorneys and staff: We are very particular about who we hire. Our attorneys and support staff are passionate about serving our clients and winning cases. You will experience the Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers difference each time you interact with us.
- Our commitment to winning every case we handle: We aim to win your case. We will set a clear goal for your case and do everything in our power to reach that goal.
You are never alone when you have Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers on your side.
Potential Recoverable Damages in Boat Accident Cases
Boating accidents can occur when one vessel crashes into another vessel or an object, such as a dock. They also can occur if someone suffers injuries in a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall while aboard. Other circumstances can also qualify as a boating accident.
You could be entitled to financial compensation if we can prove that another party’s negligence caused your accident. Depending on the details of your boat accident and injuries, recoverable damages in this type of case can include:
- Medical expenses until you are fully recovered
- Lost wages related to the time missed at work while recovering from your injuries
- Reduced earning ability
- Property repair or replacement costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of life enjoyment
Damages like pain and suffering can be challenging to prove because they have no dollar value that can be documented with a receipt or invoice. However, our lawyer, who handles boating accidents in the New Orleans area, can calculate these damages for you and pursue compensation for them.
Wrongful Death Damages May Be Recoverable
Unfortunately, some boating accidents result in fatal injuries. If you lost a loved one to such an accident due to someone else’s negligence, you could recover damages on the decedent’s behalf under CC Art. 2315.2. Louisiana law allows only certain people related to the decedent to file a wrongful death action. If you are eligible to do so, we can work with you to file a lawsuit.
If your wrongful death case is successful, you could recover compensation for your loved one’s medical expenses, funeral and burial expenses, and lost household income and benefits. You also may be able to recover damages for grief over losing your loved one and the loss of mentorship and guidance.
Collecting Evidence in Boat Accidents
In addition to a boating accident report, we can collect evidence of the responsible party’s liability, such as:
- Photos or videos from the accident scene
- Pictures of the boats, ramps, or other structures involved in the collision
- Photos or videos of the victim’s accident-related injuries
- Witness statements
- Your medical records and statements from your doctor
- Testimony or exhibits from accident reconstruction experts
When we investigate your boating accident, we will ask you for any accident-related evidence or receipts that you have.
Pursuing Compensation for Your Boat Accident Damages
Once we have the evidence of the responsible party’s liability and your damages, we can present the case to their insurance company. Then, we can take the case to the negotiating table or trial if necessary, including if the insurance company refuses to provide a fair settlement.
We Will Manage Your Entire Case
During your case, we will handle all daily communications, deadlines, and paperwork so you can focus your time and energy on your recovery. In addition, our staff will be available to answer your questions and provide you with updates on your case.
Louisiana Law Limits Your Time to File a Boating Accident Lawsuit
CC Art. 3492 generally puts a one-year statute of limitations on filing a lawsuit after a boating accident. When our law firm represents you, we will ensure your case is filed on time. We do so because filing late could mean:
- We cannot successfully file your lawsuit
- Your case being dismissed before it begins
There are exceptions to this deadline, so it is worthwhile to speak with our team about your case—regardless of how long it has been since your boating accident.
Avoid risking your right to financial recovery by waiting too long to get legal help.
Report Your Boat Accident Without Delay
After a boating accident in New Orleans, you are required to stop, help anyone who needs assistance, and exchange information with other involved boat or property owners. The information you exchange should include names, contact information, and boat identification information.
Additionally, you must report a boat crash in much the same manner as a car accident, according to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries (WLF). A report is generally mandatory if anyone on either boat:
- Suffers injuries
A report is mandatory if more than $500 in property damage occurs. Itemizing the details of a boating accident in an official report is also a good idea. This document may prove to be valid evidence of your damages in your boating accident case.
Establishing the Cause of Your Accident While Boating
The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) cited 4,168 recreational boat accidents in the U.S. in 2019. These accidents caused 2,559 injuries, 613 deaths, and $55 million in property damage.
According to the USCG, some common causes of boating accidents include:
- The boat operator is not paying attention
- The boat operator lacks experience
- Lack of a proper lookout
- Alcohol use
Whatever the cause of your boat accident, a boating accident attorney could identify responsible parties and collect evidence of how their negligence caused your crash, injuries, and the financial aftermath.
Can I Afford to Hire a Boat Accident Lawyer to Handle My Case?
Yes, every boating accident victim in New Orleans can afford to hire our law firm. We are committed to making legal representation available to all. We do so through a contingency fee structure.
Our contingency fee structure:
- Means that you pay us no upfront costs or fees
- Requires our firm to handle all of your case-related costs, including experts’ fees
- Means that our attorneys only receive their fee if they get a settlement or judgment for you
Our fee comes from the settlement or judgment we obtain for you. We never receive compensation directly from you.
What Are the Benefits of a Contingency Fee Structure?
As a client, there are many reasons to like our contingency fee structure. This structure:
- Means that you never pay out of pocket for legal representation
- Means that you have no direct financial risk when pursuing a lawsuit or insurance claim
- Puts all of the financial risk on our firm—we are confident in our ability to deliver
- Allows anyone of any financial means to get the legal representation they deserve
- Provides a great financial incentive for our firm to win your case
We understand that a boat accident can put you under significant financial pressure. Many people do not have the funds to pay for an attorney, even before a boating accident. We never allow one’s financial status to stand in the way of legal help.
If you have been in a boating accident in New Orleans, you can afford to hire us—no question about it.
Call a Boating Accident Attorney in New Orleans for Help with Your Claim Today
A boating accident in New Orleans can damage or destroy your boat. Worse, it can leave you and any passengers on your boat with serious injuries. You do not have to seek compensation for these damages alone. A New Orleans boating accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can manage all aspects of your insurance claim or lawsuit.
Call us today for a free, no-obligation consultation about your case.