If you were injured in a parking lot accident, it can be confusing to seek compensation. Right-of-way isn’t always as clear-cut in parking lots as on roadways, and some people don’t stay and admit responsibility for the damage they do. If you need help navigating a parking lot car accident, our team is ready to help.
Our firm can answer your questions and help you collect damages, so you can put the incident behind you. We will use the evidence at our disposal to prove the responsible party’s liability. To get a fair financial award, we will stand up for you against insurers and defense attorneys. As a team, we hope we can help you get financial relief that makes a positive difference in your life.
Damages You May Be Able to Claim After a Parking Lot Accident in New Iberia
There are a few types of damages you can claim. In your case, these may include:
- The cost of the damage to your vehicle
- The costs involved in treating your injuries
- Wages you can’t earn due to your injuries
- Any pain and suffering your injuries cause
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
To obtain those damages, you don’t have to negotiate with insurance companies or communicate with them at all. Leave it to an injury lawyer from our firm. Your lawyer will evaluate your damages fairly (including your non-financial damages) and fight for a fair settlement, even if it means taking the other party to court.
For a free legal consultation with a parking lot accident lawyer serving New Iberia, call (337) 777-7777
Our Parking Lot Accident Lawyer Serving New Iberia Can Establish Fault
Your lawyer will have to establish the other driver is at fault, which requires showing evidence of negligence in your accident. Without this evidence, you cannot compel the other party’s insurer to pay your damages.
Your lawyer will establish negligence by showing:
- The other party had a duty of care. Motorists are required to drive with caution to protect other road users.
- The other party breached this duty. The other party ignored their duties toward you.
- The breach of duty caused the accident. Through their actions or inactions, a collision occurred.
- The accident caused your damages. You suffered injuries and other losses as a result of the accident.
New Iberia Parking Lot Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Who Is At Fault in a Parking Lot Accident?
It isn’t necessarily easy to determine fault for a parking lot accident. However, the right-of-way is still a good rule of thumb.
Right-of-way rules still apply in parking lots. According to these rules, generally:
- If a driver rear-ends another driver, the tailing driver is at fault.
- If a driver pulls out of a parking spot and hits another driver, the driver pulling out of the parking spot is at fault.
- If a driver hits someone entering the parking lot from the main road, the driver who was already in the parking lot is at fault.
- If a driver drives through parking spots instead of through lanes and hits another car, they are at fault.
If two drivers pull out of parking spots at the same time and collide, it can be more difficult to establish fault. In addition, the parking lot may be confusing or poorly maintained. In these cases, it’s possible that neither driver is at fault.
What to Do After a Parking Lot Accident
- Call the police, if necessary. This depends on the severity of the incident. If there is extensive damage to either your vehicle or the other driver’s vehicle, if either you or the other driver is hurt, or if the other driver drove away after hitting your car, you must contact the police.
- Consider seeing a doctor. Depending on the severity of the accident, you may have an injury that isn’t showing symptoms yet. You should see a doctor to make sure you’re okay. It may be more difficult to connect your injuries to the accident later if you don’t see a doctor right away.
- Inform your insurer. You should call your insurer even if you weren’t at fault for the incident. Be careful not to give a detailed statement without the advice of your legal counsel.
Finally, it may benefit you to retain a car accident lawyer from our firm. You may be getting calls from the other party’s insurance company. They may try to manipulate you into admitting fault or accepting a low settlement. To protect yourself, contact a lawyer from our firm to talk to them.
What to Do After a Car Accident in a Private Parking Lot
You may have had a car accident in a private lot. In such a case, you should do everything we’ve already mentioned and talk to the property owner.
They may be able to help you in a number of ways, such as by tracking down a hit-and-run driver or providing security footage. However, if you believe the property owner contributed to the incident, you may want to leave that conversation to your lawyer.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Do Police Respond to Parking Lot Accidents?
Police may or may not respond to a parking lot accident. It depends on the severity of the collision. If there was severe vehicle damage, serious injury, or any crime (such as a hit and run), the police will likely respond.
Contact Us if Your Car Was Hit in a Parking Lot in New Iberia or Iberia Parish, LA
To learn about working with a lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, contact us. We’ll review your case for free and tell you about how one of our New Iberia car accident lawyers can work for you on a contingency-fee basis. In this arrangement, you won’t pay your lawyer anything unless we recover damages for you.
You deserve compensation after your parking lot accident. Our lawyers have over 100 years of combined experience and have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients, so we’re very confident one of our lawyers can help you. Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today for your free case review.