If you or a loved one suffered physical and/or psychological trauma from a dog bite injury, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. You can hold the dog owner liable via an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
A New Iberia dog bite lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can make filing a claim or lawsuit easier on you. That way, you can focus on recovering from your injury while your lawyer takes care of the paperwork. Our attorneys work on a contingency-fee basis. You pay nothing out of pocket unless we secure a settlement or court award on your behalf.
Your Legal Rights as a Dog Bite Victim in New Iberia
The state of Louisiana has instituted protections for victims of dog bite injuries. That means the residents of Avery Island, Jeanerette, Loreauville, or Iberia Parish are protected by this law. Our New Iberia personal injury lawyers can help you understand your legal rights after a dog attack.
Under Louisiana Civil Code § 2321, the owner of a dog that bit you can be held legally liable if:
- The dog owner knew the pet had an aggressive nature.
- The dog owner failed to provide “reasonable care” in protecting you from potential danger.
- You did nothing to provoke the dog, and it attacked you, causing your injuries.
Statute of Limitations for Dog Bite Injuries in New Iberia
The statute of limitations outlines the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit. It’s important to note you have one year from the date of the dog attack to file a personal injury lawsuit against the dog’s owner. This is outlined in CC Art. 3492.
If a loved one died as a result of their dog bite injuries, you also have one year from the date of their passing to file a wrongful death lawsuit. This is outlined in CC Art. 2315.2. In this case, you could be eligible for additional damages which will be explained during your initial, free consultation.
Please keep in mind, if you try to take legal action beyond the one-year deadline the court may not hear your case. Our New Iberia dog bite attorney can ensure essential paperwork is filed on time.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving New Iberia, call (337) 777-7777
What Compensation You May Be Eligible To Receive in a Dog Bite Case
You may seek two types of damages for your dog bite case based on the severity of your injuries and the effects the incident has had on your life. These are economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages account for the out-of-pocket expenses the dog bite caused you. These include:
- Current and future medical expenses (e.g., hospitalizations, imaging tests, surgeries, prescription medications, rehabilitation)
- Loss of income (work you missed due to your dog bite-related injuries)
- Reduced earning capacity (if the injuries you suffered prevent you from performing the job you did prior to the dog bite)
Non-economic damages account for the physical and emotional trauma you suffered as a result of the dog bite incident. These include:
- Pain and suffering (the physical pain you are suffering)
- Emotional distress (the psychological trauma the dog attack caused may have left you depressed, anxious, or dealing with insomnia)
- Scarring or permanent disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life (your injuries prevent you from enjoying the activities you did before the dog attack, such as jogging or gardening)
Your lawyer will be able to quantify all of your damages and seek the fair amount of compensation you need to move forward.
New Iberia Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
What Our New Iberia Dog Bite Lawyer Can Do for You
When you choose to work with a dog bite injury lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, you can rest easy knowing they will handle every aspect of your case. Our team will:
- Gather evidence to support your case (e.g., the police report, your medical records, any video and/or photos of the dog and your injuries)
- Interview eyewitnesses
- Hire expert witnesses to testify on your behalf
- File all pertinent paperwork on time in the proper court
- Handle all communications with the other side’s insurance company
- Negotiate for a settlement
- If the other side refuses to settle, we will take your case to trial
- Keep you updated on any progress in your case
You do not have to handle these legal matters on your own. Our dog bite lawyer in New Iberia, LA can work for you while you recover.
What Information Will Your Lawyer Require From You?
When you begin working with a New Iberia dog bite lawyer from our firm, it will be helpful to provide thorough documentation and information. Your lawyer needs to prove that the dog owner was negligent because they knew the dog was dangerous or should’ve known the dog was dangerous but did nothing about it.
Any information you can give your lawyer regarding the case will help them do their job. Some of this information might include:
- The name of the dog owner and contact information, i.e., address, phone, and email.
- The name of the dog. Your lawyer can find out if the dog that victimized you attacked other people before or after you.
- Photographs of your dog bite wounds documenting before and after medical treatment.
- Names and contact information of any witnesses.
- A written log of your experience. Maintain a daily journal of what you have been experiencing since the dog bite took place, i.e., physical pain, psychological trauma, days of missed work, bills incurred, doctor’s appointments, etc.
All the above information will help your dog bite attorney in Iberia Parish put together a strong legal case on your behalf.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our Reviews Speak for the Work That We Do
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we are passionate advocates for all injury victims. Our past clients have posted 5-star reviews for our work and the settlements we have obtained in their favor. Here are just a couple of examples of what some of our past clients say about our dedication and commitment:
- “They helped me when the other party’s insurance wouldn’t answer my calls! They got the job done and efficiently!” – Lacey Mcdonald
- “The staff at Laborde & Earls is top notch. To the attorneys that handled my case (Kelby & Scott) to all the paralegals and other staff that assisted me with my case, all were awesome. Would highly recommend!!” – Kyle
We take every client and case very seriously. Our team is prepared to investigate your case, identify the liable party, and hold them accountable in an insurance claim or lawsuit. We do not back down when it comes to protecting our clients’ rights and getting them the compensation they deserve.
How Much Does it Cost To Hire an Iberia Parish Dog Bite Lawyer?
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we understand that you are likely under financial stress in the aftermath of a dog attack. Our firm works on a contingency-fee basis. This means we will not charge you any upfront fees for our services. You will only pay us if we win or settle your case.
The fees you pay will be a portion of your settlement, so you will not have to pay us out-of-pocket. Our team also offers free consultations. We can take your call 24/7 at no charge to you.
What To Do After a Dog Attack in Iberia Parish
You might be facing physical or psychological injuries after a dog attack. You should:
- Seek medical attention: Even if your injuries seem minor, it’s a good idea to seek medical care. A doctor will be able to assess and treat your injuries.
- Avoid speaking to insurers: Insurance companies will often try to get victims to settle for less money than they deserve. Avoid speaking to insurers, as they will use any information you give them against you.
- Contact a dog bite attorney: A lawyer from our firm can speak to insurers for you and build your case for compensation.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
If a dog has attacked you, you have every legal right to seek compensation. Our dog bite lawyer in Iberia Parish can answer all of your questions and help you build a case.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today for your free consultation. The sooner you call, the sooner we can get started on your case.