Louisiana is a fault state, which means the driver who has the right of way is not likely to be at fault in an accident. When police and insurance agents assign liability for the collision, they use negligence to prove the at-fault driver caused the accident. Fault is proven by the at-fault driver’s breach of their duty to provide ordinary care for others while on the road.
If you or a loved one were involved in an accident where right of way determines fault, the personal injury team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can examine the details of your accident to prove you had the right of way and that the other driver failed to yield. We can also help you seek financial compensation for any injuries you sustained and for the expenses and losses that stem from your injuries, including pain and suffering.
We Will Investigate to Prove You Had the Right of Way
Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles guidelines instruct drivers not to challenge the right of way when merging, allowing pedestrians to cross in the crosswalk, at four-way stop signs, and when encountering emergency vehicles. If you had the right of way in the accident you were involved in, we can use traffic lights and signs, witness testimony, and your accident report to prove it.
When a driver fails to yield the right of way, they endanger themselves and others on the road and may face criminal penalties that threaten their driving privileges. They also bear financial responsibility for the accident.
Louisiana Right of Way Laws
We use state traffic laws to prove the at-fault driver violated or ignored the right of way and is responsible for compensating you. Louisiana laws that govern the right of way for drivers and pedestrians include:
- RS Art. 32:212 – Pedestrians in crosswalks
- RS Art. 32:232 – Vehicles at traffic signals
- RS Art. 32:122 – Left-turning vehicles
- RS Art 32:123 – Stop signs and yield signs
When you sustain injuries and property damage in a failure to yield car accident, you have the legal right to pursue financial compensation. You also have the right to legal representation that will help you prepare your personal injury case.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Damages We Can Help You Recover
The driver who failed to yield the right of way in an accident can be held legally liable for your expenses and losses. CC Art. 2315 allows you to seek recoverable damages such as:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future lost wages
- Treatment-related travel costs
- Physical disability and disfigurement
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
Our personal injury team will help you create a detailed list of eligible damages and ensure that the value assigned to your car accident case is accurate.
How We Prove the Value of Your Damages
When we pursue compensation from the at-fault driver, we build your case file with evidence in two categories — proof of liability and proof of value. As part of our investigative process, we collect the following evidence:
- Medical records and bills that prove the cause and cost of your injuries
- Written prognosis that proves the cost of future anticipated medical care
- Employment and salary history records that prove the amount of income you lost
- Car accident report that proves the accident’s cause and contributing factors
We also collect all available injury and accident scene photos and video footage. This may include police-generated images of the accident scene that help tell the story and sequence of the collision.
Hear From Other Clients Who Sought Financial Recovery with Us on Their Side
Our client reviews are a great way for prospective clients to learn how our team goes to bat for injured clients. When previous clients talk about their experience working with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, they say:
- “Scott Higgins and especially his paralegal Kathy have kept in touch with me throughout my ordeal…I highly recommend Mr. Higgins. He has his game plan all planned out when he handles your case! He’s very laid-back but gets the job done! – Sherry
- “The staff at Laborde & Earles is top-notch. To the attorneys that handled my case (Kelby & Scott), to all the paralegals and other staff that assisted me with my case, all were awesome. Would highly recommend!” – Kyle
- “Courteous and punctual, always polite and professional, always returns calls and takes time to answer any and all questions, the whole staff including the receptionists are this way!” – Todd
In addition to client recommendations, we invite you to read about the verdicts and settlements we have obtained for previous clients.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Contact One of Our Personal Injury Team Members Today
If you were injured in a car accident, our personal injury lawyer can help you prove you had the right of way. We can also help determine fault and assign liability to the at-fault driver. Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777 today for a free case review.