Data from Louisiana State University (LSU) reports that in 2019, there were 246 injuries reported from car accidents in New Iberia. If you were injured or a loved one was killed in a recent collision, then you may be entitled to collect compensation.
A lawyer can be an invaluable asset as you pursue financial recovery for your losses. After an accident, you should be able to focus on your injuries or mourning the death of a loved one while a legal representative handles your case. Keep in mind that Louisiana’s statute of limitations for filing a civil action does not allow a lot of time for filing a civil action. You only have one year from the date of your accident, and one year from the date of a loved one’s passing to pursue damages. Getting your case started quickly can help your claim fall between these state-imposed guidelines.
Call a New Iberia car accident lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.
Driving Behaviors That May Qualify as Negligence
If another party caused your accident and resulting injuries, they may have committed an act of negligence. According to information from the State of Louisiana Commissioner of Insurance, up to 90% of car accidents are due to driver error. Many of those errors are the result of careless behavior.
One of the primary causes of car accidents today is distracted driving. Markets Insider identifies this factor as the top cause of motor vehicle collisions.
Some examples of distracted driving include:
- Monitoring or posting to social media
- Accepting rideshare offers
- Making a phone call
- Adjusting the car’s entertainment system
- Eating food
- Drinking a beverage
- Restraining an animal
- Addressing other passengers
If distracted driving played a role in your accident, our legal team can take the necessary steps to investigate its cause. By examining the police report made at the scene, interviewing eyewitnesses, and even reviewing available traffic surveillance footage, we can pinpoint which of the motorist’s behaviors resulted in your injuries. This investigation will allow your legal team to assign fault to the appropriate party.
For a free legal consultation with a car accident lawyer serving New Iberia, call (337) 777-7777
Proving the Four Elements of Negligence Can Bolster Your Claim
When determining who is responsible for your collision, your lawyer will need to collect information that establishes four elements of negligence in your situation.
- Duty of care: Anybody who holds a valid driver’s license assumes a standard of care to travel safely on public roads and take precautions not to harm others.
- Breach of duty of care: By engaging in reckless or otherwise negligent behavior, a motorist can violate their duty of care. Speeding, operating a vehicle under the influence, or other actions can contribute to an accident.
- Causation: Because of the other driver’s careless actions, we must prove that they caused your crash.
- Damages: This element demonstrates that as a result of your otherwise avoidable collision, you have incurred expenses. Your legal team will demonstrate that your quality of life has been impacted by these costs and losses.
After we have demonstrated the presence of these elements, we can move forward with pursuing the responsible party for your damages. Learn more, call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777.
New Iberia Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
A Car Accident Lawyer Serving New Iberia Can Ease Your Legal Burden
Personal injury lawyers work to defend those who have suffered because of an accident. A legal professional can represent you while you focus on your recovery and well-being.
An attorney can assist you by:
- Speaking with you to fully understand your accident and account of events.
- Keeping you updated on the progression of the legal process.
- Filing your claim with the appropriate information.
- Negotiating for a settlement offer from the other party’s legal counsel.
- Collecting and organizing evidence of the accident and the circumstances that caused it, including any proof of the other party’s negligence.
- Examining your medical records to determine the extent of your injuries.
- Representing you before a judge should we be unable to reach an out-of-court agreement.
You may find it helpful to rely on a lawyer’s expertise when pursuing compensation. If your lawyer is successful in presenting your case, then you can begin the steps of putting this unfortunate event in the past.
Compensation That You May Be Entitled To
Until we take you on as a client, we are unable to determine how much you may be able to seek for your claim. Additionally, there is no research determining the average cost of a car accident claim in Louisiana, either.
There are, however, some possibilities in terms of damages you could collect, including:
- Past, present, and future accident-related medical expenses.
- Lost wages.
- Reduced earning capacity.
- Cost of physical rehabilitation or prolonged recovery assistance.
- Psychological distress.
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience.
- Loss of household benefits or income.
- Wrongful death.
You may be able to collect damages for items that we have not listed here.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call a New Iberia Car Accident Lawyer Today
While wondering whether legal representation is necessary in your case, consider this: Handling these proceedings can be difficult by yourself. Determining liable parties, collecting evidence, and negotiating for your own damages can be overwhelming if you do not have an intricate knowledge of state law.
If you are concerned about how you will be able to afford legal services, our staff operates on a contingency-fee-basis. We get paid only after your claim has reached a judgment or resolution. We take our payment out of the compensation we get for you. If we cannot successfully pursue your case, we do not get paid.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, your financial recovery is our first priority. For a free consultation, call us today at (337) 777-7777.