After being affected by a life-altering truck accident in New Iberia, you may be contemplating your next steps. Truck collision cases present unique challenges due to the severe injuries and complex liability issues they cause. Therefore, victims of these devastating crashes are strongly advised to seek legal advice.
If you or a family member has been injured in a collision with a large truck, a New Iberia truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles could help you pursue financial compensation. Our law firm has over 350 years of combined experience and has recovered over $600 million in compensation for our clients.
Contact our personal injury team for a free, no-obligation consultation. You won’t pay anything unless we win your case.
Some of the Truck Accidents Our Personal Injury Attorneys Handle
New Iberia is a highly commercial town, with all types of trucks traveling through it. As a result, highways 182 and 90 are congested, with Highway 90 being the worst highway in the state.
Truck collisions can be devastating and lead to serious injuries or even death. Commercial trucks come in many shapes and sizes, each with unique risks and potential for harm. Our truck accident attorneys in New Iberia handle all kinds of commercial vehicle accidents.
Truck collision cases we represent regularly include the following:
- Eighteen-wheeler accidents: Large commercial trucks, known as semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and 18-wheelers, can cause significant damage due to their size and weight. A collision with a large truck often severely injures the occupants of small passenger vehicles.
- Dump truck accidents: Trucks transporting large amounts of loose material, such as dirt, gravel, and sand, can be difficult to maneuver and cause serious damage in a crash. Spills from dump trucks can be disastrous for others in the vicinity.
- Tow truck accidents: Trucks used to transport disabled vehicles are much smaller than semis but can still be dangerous when not operated correctly. Tow truck drivers must adhere to strict regulations to ensure the safety of other motorists.
- Delivery truck accidents: Many commercial trucks transport goods and materials from one place to another. Unstable cargo loads can make delivery trucks difficult to maneuver, leading to accidents.
- Fatal truck accidents: Sadly, many truck accident victims do not survive. You may be eligible for a wrongful death claim or lawsuit if you recently lost a loved one in a fatal truck accident.
If you were injured or a loved one passed away, contact our law firm for a free case evaluation.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Common Causes of Truck Crashes in New Iberia, LA
Various factors, including driver error, poor maintenance, and road conditions, contribute to truck accidents in New Iberia.
Here are some of the most common causes:
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Alcohol and drugs
- Speeding and overtaking
- Poor training and maintenance
- Improper cargo loading
Many of the above reasons are related to or exacerbated by the tremendous weight of most commercial trucks. Accidents in Iberia Parish involve trucks of all kinds, and each truck classification has its own weight range.
Remember that these weight ranges are before any passengers or cargo are added; a loaded tractor-trailer can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. Because of the extreme weight differences between commercial trucks and passenger vehicles, accidents can be catastrophic.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Recovering Damages After a Truck Wreck
When you or someone you love suffers an injury in a truck collision, an experienced truck accident lawyer in New Iberia, LA, can help you recover compensation for your losses.
Your healthcare costs will continue to accumulate until your recovery is complete. When we assign a value to your lawsuit, we include every compensable medical expense, including:
- Ambulance fees
- Emergency room fees
- Hospital stays
- Prescription medications
- Assistive medical devices
- Travel expenses
- Various out-of-pocket costs
If you’ve suffered a severe brain injury, a paralyzing injury, or another serious condition, a catastrophic injury lawyer from New Iberia can pursue the compensation you need to treat and manage your condition.
In addition to your existing and anticipated medical expenses, the at-fault driver should compensate you for your current and future income loss. In addition, we could fight for the recovery of:
- Vehicle damage.
- Physical pain and suffering.
- Physical disfigurement.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
A truck accident attorney in New Iberia could help you pursue the above damages and possibly others, depending on the severity of your injuries and the crash’s circumstances.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Proving What Caused Your Truck Accident
While filing a crash report is not always mandatory, it is always a good idea. RS Art. 32:398 requires reporting a truck collision that caused injuries, fatal injuries, or property damage exceeding $500. If someone called 911 and an officer showed up, they likely filed a report.
When our team gets a copy of your crash report, we will review it to:
- Find key contact details.
- Comply with the statute of limitations.
- Define accident causes and contributing factors.
If the collision was caused by impaired or distracted driving, driver fatigue, or mechanical failure, we might find proof of these details in the accident report. Once we determine what caused the crash, we can identify the liable party or parties.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Determining Liability in a Truck Collision
When an auto accident involves a commercial truck, it is important to identify all liable parties to ensure that the victims receive maximum compensation. Multiple parties may be held responsible for a collision and its resulting damages. These may include:
- The driver: The first party we look at is the truck driver. The truck driver might have been careless by operating the vehicle while tired or distracted.
- The trucking company: The driver’s employer may be liable for your damages if it failed to maintain the truck properly or did not train its drivers adequately. Vicarious liability may also come into play, meaning the company could be held responsible for an employee’s actions while on the clock.
- A third party: Sometimes, a third party is to blame. This party could be a manufacturer of defective parts or a company that improperly loaded cargo onto the truck.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we understand the complexities of truck accident cases and are dedicated to helping victims recover the compensation they are owed.
Compiling and Organizing Your Evidence
Our investigative team and the team representing the other driver rely on the evidence to understand the cause of a car-versus-truck collision. To support your right to financial recovery, the evidence we ask for may include the following:
- Medical bills and records
- Written prognosis reports
- Proof of lost income
- Physical evidence from the scene
- Crash report
- Witness statements
- Photos and video footage
A complete evidence file tells the story of your entire ordeal. We may request some of these items from you and others from their respective sources.
If your injuries prevent you from participating in your case, or if you need assistance obtaining any of the evidence or documents we request from you, we can help. Do not hesitate to ask our client-focused, responsive team members for assistance.
Telling the Story of Your Incident
Photos and videos enhance your evidence file and prove your accident’s severity. To create an accurate depiction of what happened, take or obtain the following pictures, where possible:
- Pictures of your injuries at various stages of recovery.
- Photos of your vehicle from various angles.
- Pictures of the accident scene and the truck.
Please provide photos of your vehicle before the collision to prove its pre-accident condition. If you can take pictures, get some indicating vehicle paint transfer and impact points.
If we get involved in your case early and conduct our own investigation, we could also locate residential, commercial, and dashcam video footage. We are committed to helping our clients prove their cases and will leave no stone unturned.
Negotiating With the Insurance Company in Iberia Parish
We want you to understand your legal rights and options after being injured in a truck wreck in Louisiana. You can negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement, or you may need to file a lawsuit against the responsible party.
It is best to let an experienced attorney do the talking when dealing with an insurance adjuster. Our team has the knowledge and resources to negotiate a fair settlement for you or bring a lawsuit.
Keeping up with a personal injury claim can be overwhelming and confusing, and we’re here to help. Contact our law office today to learn how one of our personal injury attorneys can help with your truck accident case.
Filing a Lawsuit Within Louisiana’s Statute of Limitations
Your personal injury lawsuit has a statute of limitations, or deadline, for filing. You might lose your right to compensation if you wait until the statute of limitations expires. Depending on the consequences of your accident, you may need to comply with one of the following deadlines:
- The personal injury statute of limitations is generally one year from the date of the accident, according to CC Art. 3492.
- The wrongful death statute of limitations is generally one year from the date of your loved one’s death, according to CC Art. 2315.2.
Other circumstances surrounding your accident might mean additional deadlines apply to your case. For example, if the truck that hit you was a municipal vehicle, you might be required to make specific notifications to the appropriate governmental body.
Our legal team can help you meet every relevant deadline so you don’t jeopardize your rights.
Our Convenient New Iberia Location
Our law office in New Iberia is conveniently located on W. Main Street, near Center Street. We’re proud to serve neighborhoods throughout New Iberia, Louisiana, including but not limited to:
- Burke and Coteau
- New Iberia North
- Lifenite and Sandager
- Avery Island
- Charlotte and Norbert
- New Iberia West
- Hope and Olivier
- City Center
Call for a Free Consultation with a New Iberia, LA, Truck Accident Law Firm
If you or someone you love was injured in a collision with a large truck, the physical and mental recovery process should be your primary focus. If your injuries are extensive, they may prevent you from seeking compensation on your own and within the statute of limitations.
Eliminate these worries and leave your case to us. When you reach out to Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, our truck accident attorneys in New Iberia, LA, are ready to fight by your side. Call now or contact us online to schedule a free legal consultation.