Pedestrian accident victims often sustain serious injuries and other damages; fortunately, the law allows you to file a compensation claim.
If you or a loved one was recently in such a situation, a Marrero pedestrian accident lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyerscould help you navigate the claim filing process to get justice.
How a Marrero Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help
Pedestrian accidents can be devastating, whether they involve a car, cyclist, or truck. If you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, a Marrero pedestrian accident lawyer can help you recover compensatory damages. Whether you sustained minor or severe injuries, a lawyer can help you file a claim to pursue financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
A Marrero pedestrian accident attorney can help your case in the following ways:
- Clarify your legal rights and your case’s details
- Perform an investigation and collect evidence to establish liability
- Review the police reports and your medical records to validate your claim
- Interview all eyewitnesses to the accident and record their statements
- File a personal injury claim against the at-fault party or parties on your behalf
- Handle all correspondence with the insurers on your behalf
- Work with other experts, such as doctors and financial experts, when computing your claim’s worth
- Present all the relevant paperwork to the insurance company
- Negotiate with the insurers on your behalf for the compensation you deserve
- File a court case if negotiations don’t yield a fair settlement
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Marrero, call (337) 777-7777
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
While reckless drivers cause many pedestrian accidents, there are other different causes you should know, as follows:
People who text or use their cell phones while driving may not notice a pedestrian crossing the street until it’s too late to stop safely. This can cause severe injuries and even death to the pedestrian if the driver is at high speeds and not paying attention.
Speeding is a common risk factor for car accidents in general. Still, it’s hazardous for pedestrians because it makes it harder for drivers to react quickly enough if something unexpected happens on the road ahead of them, like someone stepping off the curb unexpectedly without looking first.
Fatigued drivers pose a serious risk to themselves and others on the road because they may fall asleep behind the wheel or become distracted by their thoughts, resulting in an accident involving another vehicle or pedestrian(s).
Unsafe Road Conditions
If there are cracks or potholes on the roadside, they may cause a car to lose control while driving near them. This could result in a crash with a pedestrian who may have been walking along this part of the road.
Bad Weather Conditions
Weather conditions, such as snowstorms or heavy rains, can cause drivers to crash into pedestrians due to limited visibility. Pedestrians should wear reflective or brightly-colored clothing when walking in bad conditions. Drivers must adopt a driving style to match the weather to reduce the chances of a crash.
Marrero Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Damages in Pedestrian Accident Claims
When you’re involved in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other damages. The first step is to contact a pedestrian accident lawyer who can help you determine what types of recoverable damages are available.
Some of the most common include:
- Medical Bills: Medical bills are often the highest cost associated with a pedestrian accident claim. You may receive compensation for medical care and treatment related to your injuries, such as physical therapy and hospitalization.
- Lost Wages: If you missed work due to injuries sustained in an accident, you might be eligible for lost wages. Your lawyer will determine the compensation you should receive based on the number of days you were not working due to your injuries.
- Pain and Suffering: If you suffer from pain that persists after recovering from your injuries, your attorney could recover pain and suffering damages on your behalf. These damages compensate victims for the physical and emotional distress they experience due to their injuries or diminished life quality.
- Property Damage: This is any damage that occurs to your bicycle, phone, laptop, or other property due to the accident. This could be replacing jewelry that got lost or paying for new clothes if your shirt was torn when a distracted driver hit you.
- Wrongful Death: When a loved one is lost because of someone else’s negligence, family members should receive compensation for their loss. Wrongful death claims allow families to seek compensation for their loss of income from the deceased person, funeral expenses, and other associated costs of losing a loved one, especially if they are dependents.
Deadlines to File a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit in Marrero
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Marrero, Louisiana, it’s important to understand the deadlines to file a lawsuit. According to CC Art. 3492, when filing a personal injury lawsuit, the time limit is generally one year from the date of the bicycle accident. For a wrongful death lawsuit, the statute of limitations is generally also one year, according to CC Art. 2315.2.
If you don’t file your suit within the time deadlines, it may be barred by the court. Even if you’re legally entitled to compensatory damages, the court will not award any money because you were late.
If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, consider contacting a Marrero pedestrian accident lawyer for assistance to ensure you file all the paperwork on time.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Our Marrero Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Handle Your Claim Today
If you sustained injuries and other damages after being involved in a pedestrian accident, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is ready to offer responsive legal help. We’re ready to handle all aspects of your case and fight for fair compensation.
Contact us today for a free consultation and learn more about what our Marrero pedestrian accident team can do for you.