Most people do not worry about getting hit by a car when walking outside, but unfortunately, this does happen at times. The injuries and damage from a pedestrian traffic accident are usually horrific. The average mid-size sedan weighs close to 3,000 pounds, and when it strikes an individual, the results are devastating. In some cases, a pedestrian accident could be fatal.
Whether you are walking down the street in town or on a country road, pedestrians have certain right-of-way privileges. If you have suffered injuries as a pedestrian in an accident, you may be eligible to collect financial compensation for your pain, suffering, and injuries. You just need the right legal advocate to fight for your case.
At the Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, a Crowley pedestrian accident lawyer will file a personal injury claim for you and ensure you collect a fair settlement amount. Our lawyers have combined experience of over ten decades. We will negotiate with the other party to secure the monetary compensation you deserve for the injuries you have sustained.
Contact a Crowley pedestrian accident lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. We can get started by discussing your case free of charge. We will go over the details to determine how strong of a case you have and your legal options. You will not pay any attorney’s fees unless we recover compensation for you. Call our office today at (337) 777-7777 for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Facts and Stats About Pedestrian Accidents
Car accidents occur every day in the United States, but what about pedestrian accidents in Louisiana? According to Louisiana State University (LSU), the state reported 1,402 injured pedestrians and 122 fatalities in 2019. Sadly, 42.6% of those fatalities involved alcohol impairment.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Crowley, call (337) 777-7777
Common Reasons Pedestrian Accidents Occur
Let us take a look at the main reasons why pedestrians might get struck by a vehicle.
- Speeding: any time that a car is involved in speeding, it creates a dangerous situation on the road. If the driver does happen to see someone on the street, they might be going too fast to slow down in time. In addition, if the car was speeding, then the consequences of the hit will be deadlier for the pedestrian.
- Impaired driving: driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a big problem in pedestrian deaths. The National Safety Council (NSC) states that out of all the pedestrian fatalities, alcohol impairment attributed to 41% of the accidents. That value is consistent with the state. When impaired, the driver does not have the reflexes and sharpness necessary to avoid some accidents, making them a risk to others.
- Low visibility: pedestrians are more difficult to see than other cars. This difficulty can increase the chances of the pedestrian getting hit. It helps if people wear reflective clothing or use a flashlight when walking at night.
- Distracted driving: by now, most people know about the dangers of driving while distracted with a cell phone. Texting, talking on the phone, or checking your social media accounts are all against the law to do while driving under Louisiana Revised Statutes § 32.300.5. Other activities can distract drivers, too, such as eating or talking to passengers.
If you are suffering because of an accident, a Crowley pedestrian accident lawyer is ready to assist you with collecting financial compensation. Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777, and we will give you a free consultation.
Crowley Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Louisiana Law and Pedestrian Accidents
Louisiana’s law and statutes give pedestrians the right-of-way in crosswalks, according to Louisiana Revised Statute § 32:212. Furthermore, personal injury laws in Louisiana allow you to sue for damages if you suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident. However, keep in mind that you have to file a claim within a one-year timeframe per Louisiana Civil Code § 3492. Sometimes extenuating circumstances can change the time limit. It is best to try to file a claim soon after the accident, so everything is fresh in your mind. Check with your Crowley pedestrian accident lawyer for more information.
Recoverable Damages from Injuries
The damages from a pedestrian accident could be extensive. You could lose a limb or worse, you could lose a loved one. Not only do people suffer physical injuries from pedestrian accidents, but they could face emotional trauma, mental distress, and loss of work. Your lawyer will help you collect financial compensation for all the losses you incurred as a result. Some of these recoverable damages may include:
- All medical costs, which includes present and future expenses
- Medical supplies, including prescriptions
- Lost income from time away from work
- Pain and suffering
- Disability or disfigurement
- Wrongful death if applicable
- And possibly more
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Crowley Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Getting hit by another motorist while walking is a shocking and horrific situation to go through. You may be suffering from multiple injuries for which you deserve compensation. At the Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, a Crowley pedestrian accident lawyer will fight for you to receive the monetary amount you are eligible to get under the law. As we work to prepare a solid case on your behalf, you can focus on your health.
Get in touch with a Crowley pedestrian accident lawyer by calling the Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777. We will provide you a free, no-obligation case consultation.