There’s a high incidence rate of pedestrian accidents in the U.S., and Gretna is no exception. Pedestrians can get hit when trying to cross a street, use a sidewalk, or walk anywhere vehicles are present. If you suffered injuries while on foot because of a driver or other party, a Gretna pedestrian accident lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you recover economic and non-economic damages from the at-fault party.
We can investigate the accident, identify who you should sue for damages, and negotiate with an insurance company for a settlement that helps you pay your medical bills and other accident-related expenses. Our team is ready to talk with you about the accident for free. If you hire us, you won’t pay upfront fees or costs. We work on contingency, so we don’t get paid unless you recover compensation. You can start today with a free consultation.
Why Hire a Gretna Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
Pedestrians are more susceptible to accidents, even when mindful of surrounding traffic. Road rage can leave drivers so impatient that they refuse to yield, and drunk driving can launch a traffic pile-up that puts people on sidewalks in danger. Such accidents can leave pedestrians with severe injuries, some of which may be fatal.
Our Gretna pedestrian accident lawyer can help you sue the at-fault party or parties for the losses you incur.
We can also manage your entire case and do the following:
- Investigate the accident scene to determine what happened
- Identify the party (parties) responsible for the crash
- Gather evidence to build your compensation case
- Document witnesses’ accounts of the accident
- Talk with an accident reconstructionist and/or other expert witnesses who can explain how the crash impacted your life
- Hire private investigators to find a driver after a hit-and-run accident
- Negotiate with insurance agencies for a fair settlement
- File your lawsuit on time if we cannot settle your case outside of court
- Represent you at trial to fight for your damages
- Answer your questions and explain case developments promptly
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Gretna, call (337) 777-7777
Your Gretna Pedestrian Accident Has a Deadline
Under Louisiana law CC Art. 3492, injury victims have up to one year to seek compensation for an accident. Our injury lawyer will ensure you file your claim within this time frame and present irrefutable evidence to get the maximum compensation.
Gretna Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Recoverable Damages in a Greta Pedestrian Accident
If you suffer injuries in a pedestrian accident, you could get economic and non-economic compensatory damages. We can help you recover:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Psychological trauma
- Lost wages and earning capacity
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Bicycle repair or replacement
- Permanent or temporary disability
- Out-of-pocket expenses after the accident, like transportation costs
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of life enjoyment
If a loved one suffered fatal injuries, our Gretna attorney can help you file a wrongful death action for additional damages, including funeral and burial expenses, final medical expenses, and more.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Gretna
Like crashes involving passenger vehicles, commercial trucks, and bicycles, recklessness is often involved when motorists hurt pedestrians. Some causes of pedestrian accidents are:
Operating a vehicle demands drivers to pay attention to the road, other motorists, pedestrians, animals, weather conditions, etc. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) deduces that distracted driving claims nine lives every day across the U.S.
Distractions often come in three forms:
- Visual: Failure to look at the road.
- Manual: Taking hands off the steering wheel.
- Cognitive: The mind does not focus on driving.
As per Louisiana law, any driver with a blood alcohol content (BAC) above 0.08% is considered intoxicated and, therefore, unfit to operate a vehicle. Failing this chemical test meets the burden of proof for prosecutors to convict a driver with a driving while intoxicated (DWI) charge.
Failure to use sidewalks or marked crossings exposes pedestrians to danger, especially in urban areas. One can miscalculate the time needed to cross a road, and their reaction time may not be fast enough to prevent a crash.
A recent National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) report surmises that 61% of crashes happen during lefthand turns. Drivers are usually concerned about oncoming traffic and forget to watch for pedestrians. This phenomenon has prompted some researchers to suggest eliminating lefthand turns to improve safety.
Pedestrians must also be keen when interacting with motorists to avoid getting hurt. Using your phone or other electronic devices when crossing the road is just as dangerous as when a driver does it. Distractions make it harder to follow traffic signals and use the road properly, such as crossing the street at designated areas only.
Teens are eager to gain independence from their parents and guardians by getting a license. Passing driving school is only the onset of their life behind the wheel. Lack of experience causes many accidents in Gretna, as these drivers don’t know how to respond to pedestrians.
Poor Traffic Signals
Cities often suffer budgetary constraints that affect the repair and maintenance of roads and traffic lights. When these safety measures aren’t functioning correctly, motorists and pedestrians can get confused, especially at busy intersections.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident Happens in Gretna
The minutes following a crash are vital in saving your life and protecting your civil rights. Your first instinct should be to get to safety or at least call out for help.
We advise pedestrian accident victims to take the following measures:
- Report the accident by calling 911.
- Speak to eyewitnesses and record their contact details.
- Document the accident scene using your phone’s camera.
- Take note of injuries to your person and document them.
- Make other crucial observations, like traffic signals.
- Don’t accept responsibility, even if you think you did something wrong.
- Request an accident scene report from the responding officers.
- Reach out to our Gretna pedestrian accident attorney for legal representation.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Being struck by a vehicle is catastrophic due to the great forces of impact on the human body. The result traverses the physical harm to the emotional fallout after surviving these ordeals.
Here are some injuries you can expect from a pedestrian accident:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Neck and back injuries
- Fractured bones
- Internal bleeding
- Brain damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Limb amputations
- Facial disfigurement
- Mental disorders like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Sleep apnea
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for Legal Counsel About a Gretna Pedestrian Accident
Were you hurt in a pedestrian accident in Gretna, Louisiana? Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you sue the liable party for inflicting bodily harm and other damages. You deserve compensation that can cover your accident-related losses.
We have a proven track record of helping clients secure the financial awards they need to move on after an accident. To date, we have recovered more than $200 million on their behalf. Our clients benefit from responsive representation with utmost care and professionalism. Get a free case review today.