According to Louisiana State University’s Center for Analytics and Research in Transportation Safety (CARTS), about 2,400 crashes involving large trucks and buses in Louisiana led to injuries and 86 resulted in fatalities in 2020.
Commercial vehicle drivers must follow strict regulations, which are set as precautionary measures for both the commercial driver and other people on the road. These regulations may involve rules on:
- The weight that loads can be for specific truck sizes
- How many hours a commercial driver can drive on a work shift
- Alcohol consumption
- Proper driving methods for commercial vehicles
Yet, other factors can still cause commercial truck drivers to get into vehicle accidents despite these measures. Things like environmental hazards (e.g., ice and snow) and driver errors (e.g., distracted or fatigued driving), among other causes, can still trigger accidents on the road.
If you or a loved one was a victim of a truck accident in Chalmette, Louisiana, you might be entitled to receive compensation from the at-fault driver or another liable party. To begin investigating your case, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (504) 777-7777. We can have a Chalmette truck accident lawyer assess your situation after one of our team members gives you a free consultation.
Your Case Must Establish Who Was Negligent in the Accident
Using the four elements of negligence as explained by the Legal Information Institute (LII), your lawyer may structure your case argument to prove who was at fault in the truck accident. It should be noted that there could be multiple liable parties besides the truck driver in a truck crash, such as:
- The truck driver’s employer
- The truck’s manufacturer
- The trucking company’s maintenance team
- A municipality in charge of the road where the accident took place
- A third party who caused the collision
With each party you assign liability toward, you must establish four basic elements:
- The duty of care the liable party owed you
- How they violated their duty of care
- How this violation (i.e., their negligence) led to the accident
- The damages that the accident caused you
For a free legal consultation with a truck accident lawyer serving Chalmette, call (337) 777-7777
Our Team Can Help You Retrieve Evidence to Support Your Case
When you call our law firm, we may ask if you have certain pieces of evidence already available to you, as these pieces of information can immediately begin setting up the framework of your case. We may ask if you have:
- A copy of the accident report
- The truck driver’s name, driver’s license information, and license plate number
- The truck driver’s employer’s name (e.g., the trucking company they work for)
- The truck driver’s or trucking company’s insurance information
- Contact information of all parties involved in the accident
Other pieces of evidence could also support your claims about who and what caused the accident, what damages you experienced, and what other factors might have contributed to the crash. Do not hesitate to share any information with us, no matter how small, as every detail can be vital when building your case.
Some examples of other evidence include:
- Photos and videos of the accident
- Surveillance footage of the accident, whether from a business, traffic camera, or residential home
- Statements from witnesses who saw the crash
- Accident reconstruction analysis
- The truck’s black box data information
- The truck driver’s driving logs and record
- Test results from a breathalyzer or blood sample
Need some help getting evidence for your truck accident case? A Chalmette truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to retrieve certain documents, witness testimonies, and recorded footage on your behalf via a private investigation. Our team aims to be thorough in our research to prepare your case and make it as comprehensive as possible.
However, we cannot begin this journey until we know what your case involves. Call our law firm today at (504) 777-7777 for a free case evaluation and tell us how your accident occurred. From there, we can start taking measures to discover evidence that supports your statements.
Chalmette Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
We Can Help You Calculate Your Damages to Determine How Much Compensation You Need
The team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers has handled various truck accident cases. However, no two cases resulted in the same compensation award, as each case varies by the specific damages the victim experienced. To determine how much compensation you may be entitled to receive, we factor in several types of damages:
- Your medical expenses
- Property damage you incurred
- Pain and suffering you felt both physically and emotionally
- Income you lost because of your injuries
- Any permanent disabilities you have because of the accident
- Any reduction in your earning potential caused by your injuries
You may also be able to receive compensation for other expenses you had to cover because of your injuries, such as childcare or homecare services, if your injuries limit your ability to do these tasks. Your attorney may suggest other damages not listed here as well.
Truck Accident Cases Also Abide by the Statute of Limitations
Personal injury cases must abide by the statute of limitations, which is a law that dictates how long a plaintiff has to file a civil action regarding their injury. This statute also applies to truck accident cases and is generally one year from the date of injury, according to CC Art. 3492.
Your lawyer can monitor this statutory deadline, as you do not want to risk surpassing the deadline. Should you do so, you may lose your right to compel the negligent party to compensate you for your injuries, especially if the negligent party finds out you missed the deadline and submits a request to the judge to have your case dismissed.
As part of our services, our team will notify you of the approaching statutory deadline and take appropriate steps when possible.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Wants to Represent You
A Chalmette truck accident lawyer from our team can help you face the liable parties involved in your truck accident. You do not have to face insurance adjusters, the trucking company, or their legal team on your own. Our team can aid you with your truck accident case. As your representative, we can speak on your behalf while respecting each decision you make throughout the litigation process.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (504) 777-7777 to receive a free consultation with one of our team members, who can analyze your case and explain how our team may be able to help you. Reach out today.