If someone else struck you while you were on a bicycle ride in Chalmette, you could pursue damages against them for your medical bills, damaged property, lost income, and more. A Chalmette bicycle accident lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you with the insurance claims or lawsuit process.
We will collect evidence to support your case, work with other experts to validate your claim, and negotiate with the insurer for a fair settlement. Our attorney can offer legal services on a contingency basis, meaning you won’t pay us anything unless we recover compensation for you. You can learn more during a free consultation with us today.
Why Hire Our Chalmette Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
After a bicycle accident anywhere in Louisiana, victims and their dependents could file an injury or wrongful death action against the party that caused the crash. The money compensates for the injuries and other damages they suffered. Although the law allows you to file the claim without legal help, doing so is risky.
Our Chalmette bicycle accident lawyer can do the following in your case:
- Investigate the accident to establish how it happened and who’s liable for it
- Liaise with doctors to verify the severity of your injuries
- Collect and review evidence to build a strong case for compensation
- Handle all communications with the at-fault party’s insurance and legal representatives
- Negotiate for the maximum settlement available
- File an injury lawsuit with the court if necessary
- Protect your interests and rights throughout the process
- Update you regularly about your case’s developments
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer serving Chalmette, call (337) 777-7777
Recoverable Damages in a Chalmette Bicycle Accident
An injured cyclist has a right to seek financial compensation to recover their accident-related losses. Examples of compensatory damages our Chalmette bicycle accident lawyer could pursue are:
- Medical costs: After a bicycle accident, the at-fault party could compensate you for your medical expenses. These include medication, ambulance charges, hospital stay fees, future medical costs, mobility aids, or long-term physical treatment.
- Lost income: You may not be able to work while you are recovering from the crash in Chalmette. You’re entitled to compensation for lost wages or income due to your injuries. If you cannot return to work for an extended period, you could receive disability benefits. If your disability is permanent, payments could continue indefinitely.
- Bicycle repairs: After a bicycle accident someone else caused, you can pursue compensation for bicycle repair or replacement if it is damaged or destroyed.
- Pain and suffering: A victim could recover financial compensation for the physical and emotional trauma suffered after the accident, such as anxiety, depression, and distress.
Filing a Wrongful Death Action After a Chalmette Bicycle Accident
Surviving family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit if a cyclist dies in or because of a bicycle accident. Compensation for wrongful death covers medical expenses before the victim died, funeral costs, and burial expenses.
Chalmette Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Louisiana’s Legal Deadline Limits Your Time to Sue for a Chalmette Bicycle Accident
The statute of limitations refers to the deadline to file a claim or lawsuit; your case becomes void after it expires. The statute of limitation in Chalmette, Louisiana, according to CC Art. 3492, is one year when filing a bicycle accident injury lawsuit.
According to CC Art. 2315.2, you also generally have one year after a victim’s death to file a wrongful death lawsuit. We will file your case within the state’s legal deadline if we have enough time. We can advise you of the deadline that applies to your case when we talk with you during your free consultation.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Since bicyclists can’t move as fast as motor vehicles on the road, they usually have their lanes. However, statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report show that more than 130,000 bicycle crashes occur yearly.
Here are some common causes of these accidents:
- Distracted Driving: Distracted drivers usually do other things, such as eating or texting, instead of concentrating on the road. It’s easy for a driver to miss a bicycle on the road because of its diminutive nature if they’re inattentive.
- Intoxication: Motorists under the influence of drugs or alcohol usually cause road accidents since their sense of judgment is impaired. A cyclist can also be the drunken party who causes the accident.
- Sidewalk or road defects: Bicycles usually have designated lanes depending on the local ordinance. Sometimes, bicycle accidents occur due to defects on sidewalks or roads, potholes, or uneven paths.
- Poor weather conditions: Responsible cyclists should wear reflective clothing since bicycles usually don’t come with lights by default. The reflective clothing makes the cyclist more visible during poor weather conditions, like fog, snow, or rain.
- Bicycle malfunction: In some instances, cyclists can get into accidents independently without another party involved. It mostly happens when the cyclist is riding a defective bicycle. The bike mechanism can fail or lock up, causing cyclists to lose control and crash.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Chalmette Bicycle Accident Injuries
Vehicles can cause bicycle accidents, which can lead to catastrophic injuries since a cyclist lacks protection like a driver or passenger.
Common injuries in bicycle accident cases include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brian injuries
- Broken bones
- Broken neck
- Skull fractures
- Back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
These accidents could cause life-changing injuries and, in severe cases, wrongful death. Hundreds of bicycle accident fatalities occur in the U.S. every year. According to a report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), more than 75% of fatal bicycle accidents happened in urban areas with heavy traffic in 2019.
Safety Tips for Preventing Bicycle Accidents
A cyclist can take precautions while on the road in Chalmette to reduce the risk of getting into an accident. Cyclists must also abide by the same rules as other motorists to maintain road safety.
Here are some safety tips to consider before cycling next time:
- Avoid cycling at high speeds.
- Follow the rules for riding on public roadways.
- Wear protective gear, such as a helmet and knee pads.
- Avoid using illegal substances or drinking alcohol.
- Maintain your bicycle and make repairs promptly.
- Look out for other motorists on the road.
- Be aware of potential dangers, such as loose gravel, objects on the roadway, and poorly maintained roads.
Cyclists should use reflective accessories on their bicycles or wear reflective clothing to enhance visibility when riding in the dark or at dusk. Although Louisiana law requires only cyclists under age 12 to wear helmets, ensure you wear one regardless of your age to protect yourself from severe head injuries.
Contact Us Today for Legal Help for a Chalmette Bicycle Accident
The legal team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you recover financial compensation for your injuries, property damage, medical costs, and any other losses after a bicycle accident. We can gather evidence to build a compelling case against the liable party and strive to get you the maximum compensation.
Call us today for your free consultation to learn more about how our Chalmette bicycle accident lawyer can help you.