Property owners are responsible for keeping their premises safe for guests. This general safe premises mandate can cover everything from removing trip hazards to posting warning signs of on-site dangers. If you had an accident and got hurt on someone else’s property, you may be able to request compensation for your damages in a premises liability claim.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers handles premises liability cases in Metairie. If you think a negligent property manager or owner allowed your accident to happen, give us a call at (504) 777-7777. A member of our premises liability team can go over your case and legal options with you for free. If we believe you have a viable claim, we may offer to assign a Metairie premises liability lawyer from our firm to your case. Call us today to get started.
The Basics of Premises Liability Cases
Two general circumstances can establish a premises liability case:
- When the owner of a property knew about an on-site hazard and did not do anything to remove or warn their guests about it
- When the owner of a property should have known about a hazard on their property but did not
If you can prove that the hazard that caused your accident and injuries fit into one of these categories, the property owner may owe you compensation for your accident-related damages. Examples of these types of hazards may include:
- A puddle on the floor of a department store
- Broken tile or floorboards in someone’s private home
- An over-capacity nightclub
- A sporting event with inadequate security
- A swimming pool that does not meet fencing, signage, or other safety regulations
- An electrical shock hazard in a public building
- A bar without properly maintained fire extinguishers
- An aggressive animal that is kept off-leash in the owner’s front yard
No matter what caused your accident, it is worth investigating if you may have a viable premises liability case against the responsible party. Keep in mind that safe premises standards apply to private homes, public places, such as libraries, lots, driveways, or sidewalks.
For a free legal consultation with a premises liability lawyer serving Metairie, call (337) 777-7777
What Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Can Do for You
Trying to recover compensation in a premises liability case is not always easy. The responsible party may deny your accident occurred or try to say you were at fault for causing it. This could force you to shift from an insurance claim to a personal injury lawsuit. You may also find that evidence is scarce or that your time to sue is running out once you have recovered enough to take legal action.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you with all of these issues when we represent you. While you prioritize your recovery, a Metairie premises liability lawyer from our firm can:
- Investigate your case: this will allow us to identify who is responsible for your accident and build a case against them. We can collect as much evidence as possible of your accident, such as requesting security footage from the premises itself.
- Prove your damages: we will also collect evidence of your injuries, the full range of your accident-related damages, and their estimated value.
- File your claim: once we have assembled all evidence, we will submit your insurance claim and/or personal injury lawsuit.
- Negotiate with the insurance company: we can handle all communications and negations with the responsible party or their insurance company for you. You get the final word on whether to accept or reject any settlement offers we receive.
- Go to trial: we can take your case to trial if the responsible party refuses to accept liability.
Per Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §3492, you may have just one year from the date of your accident to file your personal injury lawsuit. If you let this deadline pass before you take legal action, your right to sue may expire, and you may be left paying for your damages out of pocket.
The stakes of taking legal action on time are high. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers recommends that you get started on your case as soon as you are able to do so. To discuss your options for free with a member of our team, call (504) 777-7777 today.
Metairie Premises Liability Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Damages in a Premises Liability Case
In general, compensation for the following types of damages may be available in a personal injury claim:
- Medical expenses: for all current and future medical needs
- Lost wages: if you missed work during your recovery period
- Reduced earning capacity: if you had to switch careers and take a lower-paying job because of your injuries
- Disability: if you sustained injuries that will never heal
- Property damage: if any of your personal property was destroyed or damaged in your accident
- Pain and suffering: if your injuries caused you physical or emotional trauma
You might be pursuing a different set of damages in a wrongful death claim if your family member lost their life in a premises liability accident. Wrongful death damages might include:
- End of life medical expenses
- Funeral and burial costs
- The income your loved one is no longer providing you
- Loss of companionship
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers understands what types of damages may be available in a premises liability case. Allow us to review all the ways the accident impacted your life when building your claim.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
You do not need to navigate your premises liability case alone. A Metairie premises liability lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can go after the party that injured you.
Get started by calling our client intake team today at (504) 777-7777. During your initial consultation, we can go over the details of your accident, who may be liable, and review your options. This call is free.
If we think your case is viable and offer you representation, we will not request upfront or hourly payments. We work for a percentage of any settlement offer or court award we help you win, meaning our fees are contingent on us winning your case. If we cannot help you recover compensation, you do not owe us attorney fees.