If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an accident involving a moving van or truck, then you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Reach out to a Lafayette truck accident lawyer to discuss your situation.
Moving Vans Are Among the Most Dangerous Vehicles on the Road
Moving vans weigh more and, in most cases, are larger than the typical passenger vehicle, which means some of their features may increase the likelihood and severity of an accident. Some of these disadvantageous features include:
- A lessened ability to stop, as it is more difficult to stop the motion of heavier objects, according to Newton’s three laws of motion
- A lesser ability to maneuver quickly or effectively, especially in poor driving conditions, as the greater size, weight, and top-heaviness of moving vehicles may restrict agility
- When moving vehicles are involved in accidents, especially when they are fully-loaded, their weight presents a greater potential of injury and death to those in the vehicle(s) that the moving van or truck strikes
The dangers presented by moving vans may be even greater when the person driving is not used to controlling such a large, heavy vehicle. Even professional movers may be susceptible to causing an accident. Anyone driving a moving van should check out safety tips for driving a moving truck or van.
According to a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration large truck crash causation study, 87% of crashes involving large trucks were due to driver error or inattentiveness. Moving trucks are a part of this category.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Consider Whether Negligence Contributed to Your Accident
Drivers of moving vans, professional or otherwise, may engage in dangerous driving more than you might expect. They may be guilty of speeding, tailgating, or any number of behaviors that may qualify as negligence if they resulted in your accident. These drivers may also engage in another form of dangerous driving: distracted driving.
Considering the ever-present role that cell phones play in our lives, along with the many distractions that have plagued drivers for decades, those who drive heavy moving vans must be more careful now than ever before.
Some common forms of distracted driving that may qualify as negligence include:
- Making a phone call while driving, whether it is hands-free or not
- Texting while driving
- Checking or posting on social media while driving
- Turning your head to engage in conversation, tend to other occupants of the vehicle, or engage with another motorist
- Fiddling with the car’s entertainment system while driving
If you were in an accident with a moving van and any of these or other forms of dangerous driving were a factor, then there may be a clear-cut case of negligence. Call a Lafayette personal injury lawyer today to schedule your free consultation.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Know the Value of a Lawyer
If you are facing recovery from an injury or the recent death of a loved one, a lawyer can take on the legal pursuit of damages while you focus on what matters most.
There are several ways that a lawyer can assist you, including by:
- Starting your case by filing the necessary documentation with the court
- Helping you pinpoint the defendant in your case, as a moving company or another entity may be at fault, along with the driver of the vehicle
- Archiving any available evidence of the accident, including any videos, photographs, eyewitness accounts, and police reports that show the defendant acted in a negligent manner
- Gathering documentation of your injuries from your doctor for use in calculating damages that you are entitled to
- Completing all of the legal responsibilities necessary to complete your case, whether that resolution is a judgement or settlement
- Protecting your rights throughout the legal process
A lawyer’s job is to show to the court that the defendant in your case contributed to, or directly cause, your injuries or the death of your loved one. This will be the primary goal and value of your lawyer.
Know and Respect the Statutes of Limitation
It is critical that you call a lawyer right away, as statutes of limitations may impact your case. In Louisiana, the statute of limitations for wrongful death and personal injury claims is generally one year from the date of the accident, under Art.3492 of the Louisiana Civil Code. This means that you may have to file legal documentation before that time period expires in order to collect compensation.
Know that there are exceptions to these statutes, so call a lawyer regardless of the time that has passed since your accident.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Compensation in a Car Accident Negligence Case
Your case is one of a kind, and any compensation that you are eligible for will depend on the circumstances of your accident, the jury that hears your case, and other variables. However, awards may possibly cover:
- Emergency transportation from the scene of the accident
- Medical care you required because of injuries sustained in the accident
- The cost of any hospital stays after the accident
- Lost wages or diminished earning capacity
- The cost of rehabilitation and transportation to rehab appointments
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
Additional damages for a wrongful death claim may cover:
- The loss of financial protection for you and your family if an earner was killed
- The loss of spousal companionship
- The loss of guidance for children of the deceased
- Funeral costs
We may be able to pursue other forms of damages, depending on your circumstances.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Call Our Team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
If you were in an accident involving a moving van or truck, or a loved one died in such an accident, a Lafayette moving van lawyer can be a great asset for your pursuit of compensation. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.