If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a collision involving a big rig, you could be eligible for compensation for your losses. Call our team to contact a Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Lafayette big rig lawyer today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.
Why You Should Let a Lawyer Handle Your Case
If you are dealing with a serious injury or a loved one’s death after an accident involving a big rig, allow a lawyer to assist you. They can help you decide who is liable for your losses, as additional defendants, such as a trucking company, may be responsible along with the driver of the big rig.
Some ways that a lawyer may be able to help include:
- Starting your case right away by filing the necessary documentation
- Helping you identify the party or parties that are liable for your injuries or loved one’s death
- Documenting evidence of the accident, its cause, and its aftermath, including video, photographs, eyewitness accounts, and police reports
- Speaking with your doctor to obtain documentation of your injuries
- Taking care of all of the legal responsibilities necessary to bring your case to completion, whether through a judgment or settlement
- Protecting your rights throughout the legal process
- Keeping you updated and aware at all stages of your case
- Answering any questions you may have
- Representing you in court, if necessary
One central goal your lawyer will have is to prove that the driver of the big rig acted negligently, a goal that will be critical in your pursuit of compensation.
Do Not Wait to Call, or Time Could Run Out
The majority of personal injury and wrongful death claims are restricted by statutes of limitations, which are time periods within which you must bring legal action. In Louisiana, the statute of limitations for both wrongful death and personal injury claims is generally one year from the date of the accident under Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §3492. A limited time frame of this kind makes it critical that you call a lawyer right away.
There can be exceptions to these statutes, so call a lawyer regardless of the time that has passed since your accident.
Potential Compensation You May Recover with a Big Rig Accident Claim
Every personal injury and wrongful death claim is unique, and damages vary on a case-by-case basis. With this said, compensation in your case may cover:
- Medical costs related to the accident
- Lost wages or diminished earning capacity stemming from injuries sustained in the accident
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages against the defendant
Additional damages for a wrongful death claim may cover:
- The loss of financial protection for you and your family resulting from your loved one’s death
- The loss of spousal companionship
- The loss of guidance for children of the deceased
- Funeral costs
A Lafayette big rig lawyer may be able to pursue other forms of damages, depending on the details of your case. For instance, if your loved one’s death was due to a faulty part in a truck, we may be able to pursue punitive damages against the manufacturer in a defective product lawsuit.
We Can Help You Prove the At-Fault Party’s Negligence
To collect compensation after a big rig truck accident, we must show the driver was negligent by proving the following:
- The truck driver should have driven responsibly to keep other drivers safe.
- The truck driver did not drive safely and committed a negligent act.
- The driver’s negligent act caused your accident.
- You suffered injuries and tangible losses because of the accident.
The negligent party in a truck accident is not always the person on the hook for paying your expenses. If the driver was an employee and working in the scope of their employment during the accident, we can hold their employer liable for your damages under CC §2320.
Our Victories in Big Rig Truck Accident Cases
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers has won millions for our clients injured in truck accidents. Some of our victories include:
- $2.7 million won in a settlement for an injured truck accident victim
- $1.8 million settlement for a victim injured in a big rig accident
- $1.75 million won at trial for an injured truck accident victim
- $1.2 million won at trial for an injured big rig accident victim
Call the Attorneys on Our Team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
If you were in an accident involving a big rig, or you lost a loved one in such an accident, then let us work for you while you take this time to recover from your injuries or grieve while a lawyer handles your pursuit of compensation. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.