Cargo trucks weigh substantially more than passenger vehicles, so, injuries are a real threat. If you or a loved one were injured in an accident with a cargo truck, we may be able to help.
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in an accident with a cargo truck or another large truck, then you may be owed compensation. Reach out to a Lafayette truck accident lawyer to discuss your situation.
Cargo Trucks Present More Dangerous Circumstances on the Road
The average passenger car weighed about 4,000 pounds in 2003, according to a New York Times article that discusses an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) report.
The abnormally heavy weight of most cargo trucks means that they have a number of disadvantages that may have played a role in your accident, including:
- A greater difficulty stopping, as it is more difficult to stop the motion of heavier objects
- These trucks can be more difficult to maneuver, especially in poor driving conditions, due to their size, weight, and potential for being top-heavy.
- Because of the greater difficulty steering and stopping cargo trucks, as well as their sheer weight, these trucks may be more prone to be in an accident and can cause serious injury or death when they are involved in a crash.
According to a large truck crash causation study from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 87% of crashes involving large trucks were due to driver error or inattentiveness.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Negligence May Have Caused Your Injuries or Loved One’s Death
All drivers are susceptible to distracted driving and other forms of dangerous behavior, and this includes drivers of large, heavy cargo trucks. These trucks pose a greater risk of harm due to their weight and poor maneuverability, plus their drivers are distraction-prone humans just the same.
It is important that you know the forms of distracted driving, as these behaviors may have caused your or your loved one’s accident. Some forms of distracted driving that may have caused or contributed to your accident may include:
- Making a phone call while driving, whether it is hands-free or not
- Texting while driving
- Checking or posting on social media while driving
- Turning your head to engage in conversation, tend to other occupants of the vehicle, or engage with another motorist
- Fiddling with the car’s entertainment system while driving
Distracted driving becomes negligence when it results in an accident. If you or a loved one was injured or killed in an accident where distracted driving or other dangerous behaviors contributed, then you could collect compensation. Call a Lafayette personal injury lawyer today to schedule your free consultation.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
How a Lawyer May Be Able to Help You
If you are recovering from injury or coping with the death of a loved one, lean on a lawyer to handle your pursuit of compensation.
A lawyer can assist you in several ways, including by:
- Kicking off your case by filing the necessary documentation with the court
- Assisting you in identifying the defendant in your case, as a moving company or another entity may be at fault, along with the driver of the vehicle that caused your accident
- Collecting evidence of the accident, its cause, and its aftermath, including but not limited to videos, photographs, eyewitness accounts, and police reports
- Obtain documentation of your injuries from your doctor
- Completing all of the legal responsibilities necessary for your case, whether that resolution is a judgement or settlement
- Protecting your rights throughout the legal process
If the defendant in your case acted negligently in causing your accident, your Lafayette cargo truck lawyer will set out to prove it. If your lawyer succeeds, then you may be able to collect compensation for your losses.
Be Aware of Statutes of Limitations
The importance of calling a lawyer right away cannot be overstated. Under Art. 3492 of the Louisiana Civil Code, the statute of limitations for wrongful death and personal injury claims is generally one year from the date of the accident, meaning that you may have to file legal documents before that time period expires in order to collect compensation.
There are exceptions to this statute of limitations, and you should call a lawyer regardless of the time that has passed since your accident, but do not wait!
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Possible Compensation in a Car Accident Negligence Case
Each wrongful death or personal injury claim is different, and the specifics of your accident and trial will dictate any awards to which you may be ultimately entitled. With that said, some possible awards may cover:
- Emergency transportation from the scene
- Emergency care
- Treatment and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages or diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
Additional damages for a wrongful death claim may cover:
- The loss of financial protection for you and your family if an earner was killed
- The loss of spousal companionship
- The loss of guidance for children of the deceased
- Funeral costs
We may be able to help you pursue other forms of damages.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Call Our Team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
If you were in an accident involving a cargo truck, or a loved one died in such an accident, allow a Lafayette cargo truck lawyer to bring forth your case for compensation. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation. We want to help your family in any way we can in this difficult situation. Reach out today. We are ready to hear about the details of your case and guide you through the legal process. Call to learn more about your options.