Driving is a dangerous activity that requires constant vigilance and concentration. When someone allows themselves to be distracted behind the wheel, they risk causing a serious accident with life-changing consequences for other road users.
If you were the victim of this type of accident, a Jefferson Parish distracted driving accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to help you recover compensation for your damages. The potentially recoverable damages in a car accident case may include your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777. We may be able to represent you on a contingency-fee-basis with no advanced payments required.
The Risks of Distracted Driving
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that accidents involving distracted driving injured an estimated 400,000 people and caused 2,800 deaths in 2018. The CDC warns that any actions that remove a driver’s eyes and concentration from the road, or their hands from the wheel, may distract them enough to cause an accident.
Cell phones are a common source of driver distraction. Because of the dangers of using a cell phone behind the wheel, Revised Statutes (RS) § 32.300.5 makes it illegal to read, write, or send texts while driving in Louisiana.
Other forms of distracted driving may include:
- Eating or drinking while driving
- Operating a GPS unit or radio
- Handling an unrestrained pet
- Grooming or applying makeup
- Interacting with a passenger
- And more
For a free legal consultation with a distracted driving accident lawyer serving Jefferson Parish, call (337) 777-7777
Damages in a Car Accident Case
If you are able to prove that another party was responsible for your accident, they may owe you compensation for your damages in a personal injury insurance claim or lawsuit.
There are two types of compensation that we can help you fight for. The first, economic damages, encompasses the monetary losses you incurred because of the accident. The second, non-economic damages, encompasses the physical and psychological injuries you sustained.
The following economic damages may be recoverable in a car accident case:
- Medical expenses: if you spent money on medical care to help treat or manage your accident-related injuries.
- Loss of income: if your injuries made it impossible for you to work and earn a living for any length of time.
- Loss of earning capacity: if your injuries forced you to reduce your working hours or switch to a job that pays less than your old one.
Plaintiffs may also be eligible for non-economic damages such as:
- Pain and suffering: if you experienced any sort of distress (physical or psychological) related to the accident.
- Scarring or disfigurement: if your injuries left you with noticeable and painful scars.
- Quality of life: if you need help with everyday activities, like cleaning the house, or if you had to give up enjoyable activities, like attending social events, because of your injuries.
A Jefferson Parish distracted driving accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you identify your damages and estimate their value when we represent you.
For a free case review with a representative of our firm, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777.
Jefferson Parish Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Working with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers on Your Case
We understand if you are reluctant to hire an attorney. It may seem like a big step. You may even feel like you are overreacting or that you cannot afford a lawyer at such a difficult time.
It might help to remember that the at-fault driver’s insurance company may have lawyers on their payroll. Hiring your own legal representation can save you the trouble and stress of confronting insurance agents or lawyers on your own.
Additionally, if money is a concern, rest assured that Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers charge no fees upfront. We work on a contingency-fee-basis, meaning our clients only pay us attorney fees if and when they win their case and recover compensation via a settlement offer or court award.
Here is a brief summary of the things that Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to do on your behalf:
- Advise and support you: our firm can answer your questions, give you legal advice, and keep you updated on the progress of your case throughout our work together.
- Act as your representative: Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can communicate with all parties on your behalf.
- Build your case: we can conduct an investigation into the accident, identify all potentially liable parties, and collect evidence of their liability and the value of your damages.
- File paperwork: your lawyer can identify all of the required forms in your insurance claim or lawsuit, fill them out for or with you, and submit them to all necessary parties in a timely fashion.
- Negotiate hard: we are not intimidated by the insurance company or their attorneys. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can fight for a fair settlement offer in your case.
- Take your case to trial: if necessary, we can take your case to trial and present our evidence to a judge or jury.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers believes in holding distracted drivers accountable for their negligent behavior. While you focus on your recovery, a Jefferson Parish distracted driving accident lawyer from our firm may be able to handle all of the legal work in your case.
Keep in mind that there is a general one-year statute of limitations, or legal deadline, for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Louisiana, per Civil Code (CC) § 3492. Because of this law, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers encourages you to get started on your case as soon as possible.
For a free case review with a member of our team, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777.