Victims of pedestrian accidents have a right to claim compensation from the at-fault party or parties. If you were in a pedestrian accident, consider working with a Jefferson Parish pedestrian accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for legal help pursuing your claim.
We serve accident victims in the Greater New Orleans area and fight for the justice and compensation they deserve.
Why Hire Our Jefferson Parish Pedestrian Accident Lawyer?
If you were involved in a pedestrian accident, you might have sustained severe injuries that may take longer to heal. Such situations leave victims and their families devastated. Fortunately, you could be eligible for monetary compensation.
However, taking legal action alone could prove futile. We recommend hiring our legal team that handles personal injury claims. Your pedestrian accident lawyer will help by:
- Advising you on the legal rights and options available
- Conducting an extensive investigation to determine the accident’s cause
- Gathering sufficient evidence to prove who’s liable
- Reviewing your medical records to establish the extent of your injuries
- Evaluating all the losses you incurred due to the accident and determining your claim’s worth
- Filing a claim and/or lawsuit on your behalf
- Handling all legal paperwork in the case
- Representing you in court if necessary
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Jefferson Parish, call (337) 777-7777
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
What you do immediately after an accident can affect your claim. Therefore, depending on the severity of the accident, here are some of the steps we advise you to take:
- Call the Police: The police play a significant role in determining fault and preserving the accident scene. While at the scene, the police collect crucial evidence and write a report, which is vital to your case.
- Collect the Driver’s Information: Collect the driver’s information, including their name, address, car registration details, and insurance information. In case the accident involves a commercial or company vehicle, ensure you also note the company’s name.
- Collect Witness Information: Witnesses play a key role in accident claims. Their testimony can help prove fault and give a brief of the events leading to the accident. Therefore, collect the contact information of witnesses at the accident scene.
- Take Pictures: Pictures help prove the extent of damages and injuries and provide crucial details about the accident. It’s essential to take as many pictures of the accident scene as possible, including photos of your injuries. If you cannot do this, ask anyone at the scene to help you take detailed pictures.
- Seek Medical Attention: If you’re severely injured, the chances are that you’ll be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. However, you should see a doctor even if you don’t believe you’re hurt, as some injuries stay hidden and can worsen over time. Immediate treatment is critical to your health, while medical reports and hospital bills are vital for proving your damages.
- Connect with Our Firm: Claiming compensation from liable insurance companies is challenging. Without legal help, you can make several mistakes that negatively affect your claim. It would be best to work with us to protect your rights and ensure you file the claim or lawsuit as per the law. Your attorney could liaise with several professionals to build a strong case, ensuring you get fair compensation.
Jefferson Parish Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can be catastrophic since the human body cannot withstand the severe impact or damage caused by a vehicle collision. Additionally, these accidents also contribute to many fatalities in the U.S.
Pedestrian accidents can cause the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and concussions
- Orthopedic injuries, like broken bones or fractures and damage to other parts of the musculoskeletal system
- Deep cuts or lacerations
- Damage to major internal organs
- Muscle strains
- Neck and spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
Click to contact our Jefferson Parish Personal Injury Lawyers today
Damages in Pedestrian Accident Claims
Pedestrian accident victims can claim several economic and non-economic damages, depending on the severity of the injuries and the accident’s impact on their life.
Regardless of who’s liable for the accident, you may be entitled to damages like:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future lost income or wages
- Pain and suffering
- Vehicle and home modification expenses
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Mental therapy, physical therapy, and rehabilitation
If the accident was fatal, the surviving family members could file a wrongful death claim for damages like loss of financial support and funeral and burial expenses.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Liability in Pedestrian Accidents
Drivers have a legal responsibility to be careful while on the road. Suppose a driver is reckless and they cause an accident. In that case, they can be fully liable for the accident. However, some cases involve other liable parties, such as another vehicle or parts manufacturer.
A driver can be liable for actions like:
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
- Speeding or aggressive driving
- Failing to follow traffic laws or signals, such as red lights
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Distracted driving
In some cases, a pedestrian can be partly at fault for jaywalking, running out into the road, ignoring road signs, walking while under the influence, texting, or talking on a phone while walking and crossing the street in the wrong place. If a pedestrian is partly at fault, they’ll also be held liable and can only claim compensation less than their percentage of fault.
Statute of Limitations in Louisiana Pedestrian Accidents
According to CC Art. 3492, if you’re a pedestrian accident victim, you only have one year from the accident date to file a lawsuit. If the accident was fatal, the surviving dependents must file a wrongful death lawsuit within one year from the date of the death.
If you fail to file a lawsuit within the deadline, you risk losing your compensation. Working with our lawyer ensures you meet all applicable deadlines.
Contact Us Today for Responsive Legal Help
If you were recently in a pedestrian accident or lost a loved one in similar circumstances, you may have a right to claim compensation. We recommend working with our pedestrian accident lawyer to protect your rights and help you obtain compensation. Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form