If you have suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, a Jefferson Parish motorcycle accident lawyer may be able to help you investigate your crash, negotiate for a fair settlement, and much more. Please call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777 today. We can evaluate your case at no charge and no obligation to you.
It is important to follow all rules and regulations to be safe while driving a motorcycle. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) states that good ways to keep yourself (and everyone around you) safe on the road include:
- Wearing a helmet and bright, protective clothing
- Acquiring all necessary licenses
- Not drinking and driving
- Checking your motorcycle before heading out
Unfortunately, even motorcyclists who follow all the road rules and take adequate steps to protect themselves can fall victim to less conscientious drivers. Louisiana State University reports that 1,193 people were injured or killed in motorcycle crashes in 2019 alone.
If you or someone you love was injured while riding a motorcycle, a Jefferson Parish motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation for the injuries and losses. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777 today, so you can schedule your free case review whenever it is most convenient.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer serving Jefferson Parish, call 337-221-9907
There Are Two Types of Damages
Your injuries could entitle you to noneconomic damages, economic damages, or a mix of both.
Coping with physical and psychological injuries is hard enough. If your injuries also leave you facing more bills and less income, you may be entitled to economic damages, which are specifically designed to cover your financial losses. Compensable losses include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Medical expenses: You had to see a doctor, have medical tests done, renovate your house to accommodate your injuries, etc.
- Repair expenses: You had to get your motorcycle fixed, or you had to replace it.
- Loss of wages: While you stayed home to let your injuries heal, you could not work or support your family.
- Loss of employment: Your accident or your injuries cost you your job.
Motorcycle accidents are especially dangerous for the motorcyclist, who is more exposed than car drivers or passengers and therefore more vulnerable to injury. These non-monetary losses include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pain and suffering: Your injuries caused you either short-term or long-term physical and/or emotional distress.
- Reduced quality of life: Your injuries have forced you to radically alter your lifestyle or sacrifice certain activities.
- Disability: Your injuries have limited your physical or mental capabilities.
Jefferson Parish Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 337-221-9907
Wrongful Death Lawsuits
So far, we have only discussed damages in terms of personal injury lawsuits, where you sue for compensation for your own injuries. However, you may also be able to sue if you lost a loved one in a motorcycle crash. You would then have grounds to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Many of the damages listed above can also be applied to wrongful death cases. For instance, if your loved one needed medical treatment before they passed away, you may be able to recover those expenses. In addition, you may seek damages, such as the following.
- Loss of companionship: Your deceased loved one was an invaluable source of support, guidance, and affection.
- Funeral expenses: You covered your loved one’s burial and other related services expenses.
- Loss of financial support: Trying to get by without your loved one’s income might be a challenge if you were financially dependent on them.
Hiring a Lawyer to Fight for You
A lawyer can make your lawsuit easier on you by shouldering all legal responsibilities. Those responsibilities usually involve the tasks listed below.
Gathering Documentary Evidence
Some evidence could include:
- Your medical treatment after the accident
- Police report
- Photo and video surveillance of the accidents
- Witness testimony
All of the above scenarios create evidence that your lawyer can use to help you prove that you deserve compensation from the entity or entities you are suing.
Keep Your Case Running Smoothly
To officially begin your lawsuit, your lawyer will notify all liable parties about your suit. They will also:
- File all necessary paperwork
- Handle all communications between you and the other side
- Help you make important decisions regarding your case
You do not have to deal with any aspect of your lawsuit alone. We will be there for you every step of the way.
Dealing with the Insurance Company
Convincing the liable party’s insurance company to pay what you have asked for is not always easy. In addition to showing them evidence found during the investigation stage, your lawyer will present oral arguments in support of your claim. If the insurance company offers a satisfactory settlement, we can review the settlement before you sign it to make sure that you are not signing away your rights.
If, however, the insurance company refuses to offer the money you need and deserve, your lawyer can continue the fight in the courtroom.
Lawsuits are often complicated and confusing, especially if you are not familiar with the law. Your lawyer can make the process less scary by explaining how it all works and telling you what your options are at each step.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers wants to help you with your case. To find out if a Jefferson Parish motorcycle accident lawyer can be of assistance, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777. You will pay nothing for our services unless and until you are awarded compensation.