When people get distracted while driving, they may put others at risk of getting injured in a car accident. Distracted drivers often cause accidents, leading to other people getting injured or losing their lives. If you were injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver, you may be personally familiar with the consequences of driving while distracted.
A Meaux distracted driving accident lawyer can help you pursue the financial compensation you need to recover from your losses. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (318) 777-7777 for more details about how we may be able to fight for you after a distracted driving accident.
Distractions Can Come in Many Forms When Driving
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), distracted driving led to 2,841 deaths and about 400,000 injuries in 2018. The Louisiana Department of Insurance (LDI) adds that, while fines were set in place to punish drivers who engaged in distracted driving in Louisiana, distracted driving continued to rise in traffic deaths and insurance costs from 2014 to 2015.
Many behaviors may qualify as distracted driving. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that distracted driving is anything that causes you to take your hands from the wheel, eyes from the road, or attention from the act of driving. This may include:
- Sending or reading text messages
- Posting or interacting with social media
- Adjusting the vehicle’s radio or entertainment system
- Eating food or drinking a beverage
- Using drugs while driving
- Turning your head to interact with others inside or outside of the vehicle
- Interacting with a navigation system
Motorists may engage in distracted driving in a number of different ways, and evidence may exist that documents their distraction as a cause of your accident.
Building an Argument Based on Distraction and Negligence
A distracted driver may also be the driver responsible for causing your accident and any negative outcomes that have resulted from your accident. Your lawyer may aim to prove that the distracted driver was negligent, which the American Bar Association (ABA) explains might make a motorist financially responsible for your losses.
As your lawyer attempts to prove how the motorist was negligent, they may:
- Establish that the motorist owed you a duty of care, meaning that they had a responsibility to act reasonably and not expose you to harm
- Show that the motorist violated their duty of care in some way, perhaps by being distracted while driving
- Establish that the motorist’s breach of duty caused your accident
- Establish that your losses occurred because of the motorist’s breach of duty
If your lawyer is able to prove these points, you may be able to collect compensation covering your accident-related losses.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (318) 777-7777 for more details about how a Meaux distracted driving accident lawyer may serve you.
For a free legal consultation with a distracted driving accident lawyer serving Meaux, call (337) 777-7777
Losses from an Accident Can Be Costly
Being in an accident in Meaux may lead to you or a loved one suffering significant losses. Bringing a lawsuit or insurance claim may be your way to seek compensation for your accident-related losses, and a lawyer can value your losses and manage your claim or lawsuit.
Some of the losses that may come from a distracted driving accident include:
- The cost of taking an ambulance from the accident scene
- The cost of emergency room care
- The cost of hospitalization stays
- The cost of scans and imaging services
- Lost income caused by your injuries
- Damage to your vehicle
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Diminished earning power
Your lawyer may fight to secure compensation for the losses you have already experienced and the losses you might suffer in the future. If you suffered a severe injury, you may experience the effects of your accident indefinitely.
A driver who is distracted may not be able to brake, swerve, or take other actions that could reduce the impact of an accident. Your injuries may be serious, and so too may be the losses that stem from your injuries.
Seeking Compensation for Your Losses
Your lawyer may take several steps to build your personal injury claim or lawsuit. Some services that a lawyer may provide might include:
- Reviewing the facts of your case
- Documenting your accident through evidence
- Recreating your accident, perhaps with help from experts
- Calculating the value of your accident-related losses
- Determining all parties responsible for your accident-related losses
- Filing your insurance claim or lawsuit
- Corresponding with insurance companies, attorneys, and other parties involved in your case for compensation
- Making appearances on your behalf
- Negotiating an insurance settlement or pre-trial settlement
- Completing a trial
- Filing and completing any necessary appeals
Hiring a lawyer may provide you several general benefits. Your lawyer and their team can defend your rights, answer any questions that you have about your case, and handle as much of your claim or lawsuit as possible. Having a lawyer lead your pursuit of compensation may allow you to focus on your recovery or any other responsibilities you have.
Meaux Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Let Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Work on Your Distracted Driving Accident Case
A Meaux distracted driving accident lawyer may help you fight for compensation from the party or parties responsible for your accident. The team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers works on a contingency fee basis, so you do not have to pay any attorney’s fees upfront. This means you only have to pay our fee if we win your case for you.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (318) 777-7777 for more details about our legal services.