Large trucks are heavier than passenger cars, which is why these vehicles can cause catastrophic or fatal injuries in collisions. To complicate matters, these trucking companies always have accident lawyers ready to defend them against liability claims. It can help if you work with an experienced Abbeville truck accident lawyer before entering the legal process.
To get your free consultation, call the Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777. We can evaluate your injury claim at no charge, and there is no obligation.
Litigation Differences Between a Car Wreck and Truck Wreck
If you have been in a previous motor vehicle accident, you may think that you can handle your personal injury claim without a lawyer.
Truck crashes are different from other motor vehicle accidents in three ways:
- Trucks are much more massive than standard passenger cars, so consequently, a collision with a truck can cause more devastating personal injuries. The more liability the insurer faces, the more likely the company is to play hardball.
- You might have to juggle more than one defendant and insurance carrier. Your claim might be against both the truck driver and the trucking company. Both parties may have separate liability insurance policies. If so, the insurers might deny liability or try to pin the blame on each other. If you think that it is frustrating to deal with one insurer, imagine negotiating with two of them.
- Large trucks must follow different rules than other motorists. If the driver or trucking company broke any of the federal laws that govern them, and that breach led to the truck wreck, knowing those laws and proving the violations could help to win your case.
You do not have to fight the insurance companies on your own. We can help.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Types of Compensatory Damages Awarded in Truck Accidents
The amount of compensation you can pursue for your losses will depend on the facts of your case. There is no cap on the money you can receive for truck accidents. Every person’s claim is different. We will need to speak with you and investigate your situation to determine the value of your personal injury lawsuit.
Some examples of economic losses you may be able to recover include:
- Medical expenses. This category consists of the reasonable cost of medical treatment you need for your personal bodily injuries, like the ambulance, emergency room, doctors, x-rays, diagnostic procedures, lab tests, surgery, hospitalization, prescription drugs, and ongoing physical therapy.
- Specialized treatment. People who sustain severe injuries might need care at a facility that focuses on their specific condition, like a spinal cord injury.
- Long-term care. Catastrophic injuries can leave a person in need of daily assistance with medical treatments and personal care, as in the case of a person who gets a traumatic brain injury in a trucking accident and requires in-home assistance.
- Lost wages. People with significant injuries typically must take some time off from work for medical treatments and recuperation. If you lost some or all your pay while you could not work because of your conditions, we can add that amount to your claim. This category can include missed wages, salary, self-employment, and other types of regular income.
- Diminished earning capacity. You might have to work at a lower-paying job or work fewer hours after a severe injury. This loss can be compensable.
- Disability. Some people cannot work at all to support themselves after a devastating injury from a truck crash. Your loss of income can be part of your damages.
Examples of noneconomic losses you may be able to recover include:
- Pain and suffering. Although it is not a financial loss easily measured in dollars, sometimes people can collect money damages for the physical discomfort and emotional anguish that they experienced from the wreck.
- Diminished quality of life. Should you find yourself unable to perform your usual activities, hobbies, or pursuits, you may be able to collect monetary recovery based on your reduced enjoyment of life.
- Wrongful death. If a close relative died because of an accident with a truck, we can help the legal beneficiaries pursue additional compensation for their losses.
This is not a complete list of economic and noneconomic damages you can seek after an injury accident. Speaking with an Abbeville truck accident lawyer can provide you with more information regarding what additional losses for which you may be eligible. Call us today at (337) 777-7777.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Actions to Avoid After Being Involved in an Injury Accident
The actions you take after getting injured in a truck accident in Abbeville can impact the amount of compensation you can collect.
Here are a few of the things you should avoid after a collision with a commercial truck:
- Do not apologize or make small talk. We understand your desire to express sympathy and concern, but the defendant’s insurance company could twist your good manners into an admission of fault. You should avoid conversation with bystanders or those involved in the wreck. After exchanging insurance information and cooperating with the police, say as little as possible.
- Do not settle your injury claim until you complete all of your medical treatment and know whether you will have any lingering problems. You might think that you are about to be released from treatment by your doctor, and then find out at a follow-up appointment that you will not achieve complete recovery of function without surgery. If you already settled your claim, you may have to pay for the additional treatment yourself.
- Do not accept a settlement offer without legal advice. Most people do not know how much their personal injury claim is worth. Claims adjusters are notorious for making lowball offers that do not even cover the incurred medical bills. Many people find out later that they should have gotten much more money for their losses.
It is a wise strategy to work with a personal injury attorney from the beginning. You can call Laborde Earles Law Injury Lawyers to find out how much your case could be worth.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Get Legal Help from a Truck Accident Attorney in Abbeville Today
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we help injured people rebuild their lives. We work tirelessly to get you the compensation that you deserve.
You do not have to pay any upfront legal fees for us to help you. Our payment comes out of the settlement proceeds or awards at the end. You can focus on getting better while we take care of your legal matters.
You can call our personal injury attorneys today at (337) 777-7777 to get started.