The workers’ compensation process is complicated and sometimes slow. Unfortunately, many claims go unfunded or are received after the claimant has already incurred a significant amount of out-of-pocket expenses.
If you were hurt on the job, our Abbeville workers’ compensation lawyers can help you file a claim.
What Is Workers’ Compensation?
Workers’ compensation is available to employees with injuries, illnesses, and fatalities that occur during or because of their occupation. State laws affect who can claim workers’ compensation. Ineligible workers usually include independent contractors, business owners, real estate agents, insurance agents, farmhands, employees that were intoxicated when the injury occurred, or workers that hurt themselves intentionally.
Workers’ compensation claims are settled out of an insurance policy purchased by the employer.
For a free legal consultation with a workers' compensation lawyer serving Abbeville, call (337) 777-7777
What Events Qualify an Employee for Workers’ Compensation?
Under Louisiana Revised Statutes 23:1021(1), an accident is defined as “an unexpected or unforeseen actual, identifiable, precipitous event happening suddenly or violently, with or without human fault, and directly producing at the time objective findings of an injury which is more than simply a gradual deterioration or progressive degeneration.” An accident qualifies for workers’ compensation when it occurs during or as a result of an employee’s work.
Some accidents and injuries that can occur in the workplace include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries, including brain damage
- Broken or fractured bones
- Muscle damage due to repeated strain or the lifting of heavy objects
- Loss of hearing
- Exposure to chemicals or other substances that are known to result in long-term illness, such as cancer
- Injuries derived from falling from an elevated surface
- Injuries sustained from or while in an automobile
- Injuries due to equipment malfunction
Employees should report the accident to their employer immediately so they can meet any deadlines for filing a workers’ compensation claim.
Abbeville Workers' Compensation Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
What Expenses Are Covered by Workers’ Compensation?
In the state of Louisiana, expenses covered by workers’ compensation include:
- Emergency and ongoing medical treatment costs, as provided by the injured parties’ physician of choice
- 66% of wages lost due to the inability to work, for up to 100 weeks
- Rehabilitation required to support the injured party’s return to work
- Catastrophic losses, such as funeral services, in the form of a lump-sum payment or extended lost wage compensation
Once the claims process is initiated, the employer may ignore, refute, deny, or delay compensation for the employee’s claim. Our Abbeville workers’ compensation lawyers can help when this happens.
Click to contact our Abbeville Personal Injury Lawyers today
What Abbeville Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Can Do for You
Workers’ compensation claims involve copious amounts of paperwork. You deserve to rest and focus on your health after a workplace injury. You have a right to work with an attorney who can handle the various steps of the filing process for you.
An Abbeville workers’ compensation lawyer can:
- Guide you through the workers’ compensation process
- Compile proof that the injury/illness/fatality was derived in the course of the injured parties’ occupation and that all expenses claimed are about said injury/illness/fatality. This may include interviewing your doctors or other medical experts in a related field and collecting an employee’s medical records.
- Conduct legal research on the applicable laws and recent developments specific to your case
- Represent you during the trial or other legal proceedings, and prepare any related legal documents
- Monitor the status of your claim
- Settle the claim on your behalf
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much does a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Cost?
Our workers’ compensation lawyers do not charge by the hour. We work on a contingency fee basis to help accident victims afford legal representation. This means that you only pay if we win your case. You do not have to risk further financial losses to access legal support. You also know we will work hard to secure the compensation you deserve.
We also offer free consultations to help you understand the workers’ compensation process and get an idea of how we can help you. We can handle your claim or appeal from start to finish while you rest and recuperate.
Our Case Results
It’s important to feel confident when choosing a lawyer. Take a look at a couple of our case results involving workplace accidents:
- $200,000 for a deckhand who hurt his back while unloading cargo
- $5,500,000 for a maritime worker who was injured on the job
We have helped workers claim the benefits they needed to get their lives back on track. Now, we want to help you with your workers’ compensation claim. To get a better idea of what it is like working with our firm, you can also take a look at our client testimonials.
Work With Our Legal Team After a Workplace Accident in Abbeville
An Abbeville workers’ compensation lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you file a workers’ compensation claim. We can also help you appeal a denial. We are here to help, and we offer free consultations.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form