In the maritime industry, hazards and personal risk are something faced everyday by those who work in it. Off-shore accidents can range from minor to catastrophic, but most are the result of human error and negligence. The fact of the matter is that any off-shore accident can result in injury, leaving you wounded and unsure where to turn.
If you’re a maritime worker injured in an off-shore accident, you might be entitled to compensation. An Abbeville off-shore accident lawyer from Laborde Earles can explain all of your legal options and guide you through the process of pursuing compensation.
Off-shore accidents can be painful and traumatic. An off-shore accident attorney can handle the complexities of filing your claim so you can heal.
Common Off-Shore Accidents
The following are some of the more common off-shore accidents and causes of maritime injury:
- Marine collision: If two boats collide, several possible scenarios exist. The collision may cause one ship to sink or capsize. It may also cause both boats to flip over onto their sides. Either situation may result in personal injury or even drowning.
- Shipboard fires: Fires can break out onboard a ship due to lightning strikes, oil leaking into the water, or even faulty electrical equipment.
- Marine explosions: An explosion can happen if a large amount of fuel becomes ignited.
- Toxic substances: Toxic substances can leak from ships, leading to respiratory problems and burns.
An Abbeville off-shore accident lawyer can compare your various medical reports, accident reports, and relevant testimony to help build your case.
For a free legal consultation with a maritime injury lawyer serving Abbeville, call (337) 777-7777
The Jones Act
Our Abbeville off-shore accident lawyers can help you file a claim under the Jones Act. The Jones Act allows seamen to sue the owner of the vessel that caused their injuries for compensation.
Here are some essential things to know about the Jones Act:
- Under the Jones Act, the owner of a vessel has a responsibility to provide a safe and seaworthy vessel
- The Jones Act applies only to seamen, meaning you must work onboard a navigating ship and spend significant time there
- The Jones Act requires that the lawsuit be filed within three years of the date of the accident or the date the injuries surfaced
- The Jones Act requires that the seaman (or his or her lawyer) prove that negligence played a part in the off-shore accident
Abbeville Maritime Injury Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act
The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) benefits injured maritime professionals working on ships, barges, tugs, shipyards, or docks, as long as they are on or adjacent to navigable U.S. waters. The LHWCA covers workers who aren’t considered seamen and would not qualify for the Jones Act.
However, the LHWCA doesn’t cover injuries sustained when working on a non-commercial vessel. So, for example, if someone is injured while working on a private yacht, they wouldn’t benefit from the LHWCA. Under the LHWCA, you must file your legal injury claim within one year of the date of your accident.
How Can an Abbeville Off-Shore Accident Lawyer Help?
Our off-shore accident lawyers in Abbeville can help you understand your legal options and determine whether you qualify for benefits under the LHWCA or The Jones Act. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we can help you file a claim against your employer’s insurer. We can also help you seek compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, disability, disfigurement, and other expenses associated with your injury.
After you’ve been injured, it’s essential to understand your legal options. There are many different ways an Abbeville off-shore accident lawyer can help, including:
- Negotiating with insurance adjusters and your employer’s legal team
- Gathering vital evidence such as photos of the scene, police reports, or surveillance footage
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Working with your doctor to determine how severe your injuries are and how much treatment you might need
- Represent you in court if necessary
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Kinds of Compensation Can I Pursue?
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we can advise and guide you throughout the claim process. An off-shore accident lawyer from our Abbeville firm can look at all of the evidence of your case and calculate potential compensation. This could include coverage of medical bills, lost income, and other costs related to your injuries.
Some common examples of recoverable damages can include:
- Lost wages: This compensation is based upon what you could earn if you worked at your previous job or another comparable position.
- Medical expenses: This could include hospital stays, out-patient care, x-rays, physical therapy, or prescription medications.
- Pain and suffering: These are often difficult to quantify. However, our lawyers can help you estimate how much this type of damage may be worth.
- Disfigurement: If you suffer from permanent scars or physical deformities as a result of your injuries, then you may be able to seek compensation for this type of loss.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: If you are unable to enjoy yourself because of your injuries, you may be entitled to this type of recoverable damages.
- Funeral and burial costs: If you lost a loved one due to their off-shore accident, then you may be able to claim the costs of the funeral and burial.
Can I Afford an Abbeville Off-Shore Accident Lawyer?
We know that hiring a lawyer may seem unaffordable and even unobtainable, especially when you’re facing unexpected medical bills and are too injured to work. You can put those fears to rest.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we operate on a contingency basis. This means we will not charge any legal fees up front, and only get paid if we settle or win your case. If we do win, we will deduct our fees from a percentage of your compensation package.
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we know that off-shore accidents can happen quickly and unexpectedly, blindsiding you and leaving you hurt and vulnerable. Let our attorneys handle your injury claim so you can focus on rest, healing, and recovery. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at our Abbeville branch for a free no-obligation consultation.