Losing a loved one in a car accident is devastating, no matter the circumstances. On behalf of the team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we are sorry for your loss.
If your loved one’s accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, we may be able to help you pursue compensation for your damages. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers handles wrongful death insurance claims and lawsuits on behalf of our clients. A New Orleans fatal accident lawyer from our firm may be able to handle all aspects of your case when we represent you.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (504) 777-7777.
Negligence in Fatal Car Accidents
Wrongful death compensation may help a person’s relatives pay bills after an accident or compensate them for the loss of their loved one. Unfortunately, the mere fact of your loved one’s passing is not always enough to get you this compensation. You may have to seek corroborating evidence to prove that another party’s negligence caused their fatal accident.
Negligent actions that can cause a fatal car accident may include:
- A negligent driver violating a traffic law, such as speeding, failure to yield, or illegal turn or lane change.
- A negligent driver operating their vehicle while intoxicated, distracted, or while drowsy
- A negligent mechanic failing to safely maintain a vehicle
- A negligent municipality allowing an unsafe or hazardous road condition to persist
Depending on the nature of the accident, evidence of liability may include:
- Police records
- Medical records
- Maintenance records
- Eyewitness statements or recordings
- Surveillance video
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
- And more
A New Orleans fatal accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can investigate the crash, identify the liable party, and collect all possible forms of evidence on your behalf when we represent you.
If you believe another party’s negligence caused your loved one’s fatal accident, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (504) 777-7777. A member of our team will evaluate your case at no cost or obligation to you.
For a free legal consultation with a fatal accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call (337) 777-7777
Laws Regarding Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Louisiana
Louisiana law limits who is allowed to file a wrongful death lawsuit and under what circumstances. As stated in Civil Code (CC) §2315.1, the following individuals may file wrongful death lawsuits:
- The deceased’s spouse and/or children
- The deceased’s parents, if there are no spouse or children
- The deceased’s siblings, if there are no spouse, children, or parents
- The deceased’s grandparents, if there are no spouse, children, parents, or siblings
In addition, there is a strict one-year statute of limitations on wrongful death lawsuits, per CC §3492. Failure to take legal action within one year of your loved one’s death could mean that your lawsuit is dismissed and that you are unable to recover compensation.
New Orleans Fatal Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Recoverable Damages in a Fatal Accident Case
Depending on your relationship with the deceased and how the accident affected you, various damages may be recoverable in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Economic damages are for accident victims who suffered financially. They may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Medical bills: if your loved one received medical care prior to their passing.
- Funeral bills: for the various costs associated with laying your loved one to rest.
- Loss of financial support: such as wages or income your loved one provided prior to their death.
Noneconomic damages are for accident victims who suffered physically and emotionally. They may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Pain and suffering: if your loved one experienced any sort of physical or emotional distress before they passed away.
- Loss of guidance, companionship, and care: because your accident can cost you years’ worth of your loved one’s presence and support.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers understands how to identify and assign a value to wrongful death damages. We can manage this task by producing evidence of your damages when we represent you.
Working with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers
A New Orleans fatal accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can make the legal process less difficult for you to navigate. We can also handle much of the work in your insurance claim and/or lawsuit, giving you time and space from the legal proceeds to focus on your family and your wellbeing.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to assist you by:
- Investigating your case: it is important to have as much evidence as possible to support your story. Your lawyer can look into your case and gather as many documents and materials as they can to build your case.
- Submitting paperwork: we can handle the paperwork in your case, from filing your lawsuit on time to notifying the liable party about your lawsuit.
- Communicating on your behalf: if the liable party, their lawyer, or their insurance company wants to talk to you, they can do so through us.
- Negotiating: we can sit down with the responsible party’s legal representation and fight for your compensation during settlement negotiations.
- Representing you at trial: you do not have to accept an insurance company’s settlement if it is unfair. Instead, we can schedule a trial and try to convince a jury to award you damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
A New Orleans fatal accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can pursue compensation on your behalf when we represent you.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (504) 777-7777 for a free case evaluation with a member of our car accident team. We may be able to offer you representation on a contingency-fee-basis with no upfront payments required to start. In this arrangement, we do not charge attorney fees unless and until you receive a settlement offer or court award.