Losing a loved one unexpectedly is always hard, but losing a loved one due to someone else’s preventable negligence can be devastating. You could be dealing with many overwhelming emotions and the stress this has impacted your life, including the financial burdens you may be experiencing.
No amount of money can make the pain and longing for your loved one go away, but receiving fair compensation can help alleviate the financial burdens you may be facing and achieve justice for your loved one. A Marrero fatal truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can walk you through your options and help you fight to hold the negligent party responsible.
How Much Is My Loved One’s Fatal Truck Accident Worth?
The financial award you could receive depends on the specific variables of your loved one’s accident. No two cases are the same, so it wouldn’t be helpful to compare yours to another case to determine your settlement amount. Working with a personal injury lawyer can help you learn about your options.
Eligible Family Members Who Can File a Lawsuit
CC Art. 2315.2 determines which family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit in the event of a fatal injury. Certain family members take priority in being able to file before other family members can. The following people may file a lawsuit:
- The deceased’s surviving spouse or children
- In the absence of surviving spouse and children, the surviving parent(s)
- If there are no surviving parents, then surviving siblings
- If there are no surviving siblings, then surviving grandparents
Once you meet with a fatal truck accident lawyer in Marrero, LA, we can establish who can file a lawsuit and determine the damages you are eligible to recover.
What Types of Compensation Can I Recover?
Wrongful death damages are intended to compensate you for your loved one’s death. Damages in a wrongful death claim fall into two categories: economic and non-economic. Economic losses are specifically measurable and can include:
- Expenses for celebrating the life of your loved one and laying them to rest
- Medical interventions your loved one may have received
- Loss of income and benefits your loved one provided
- The value of certain household services your loved one provided
Non-economic losses are hardships you may be feeling as a result of wrongful death but aren’t evidence-based with bills or receipts. These losses can include compensation for:
- The pain and suffering you are experiencing
- The loss of companionship, love, support, and guidance your loved one provided
Your Marrero fatal truck accident lawyer can help you determine the types of compensation you can receive and a fair financial award once we have reviewed all factors leading to your loved one’s death.
You Must Act Quickly to File a Lawsuit
Louisiana’s statute of limitations states that qualified surviving family members have just one year from the date of their loved one’s death to file a lawsuit. Hiring a lawyer soon after the death of your loved one gives us the time to gather a strong case and meet the time requirements of the statute of limitations.
For a free legal consultation with a fatal truck accident lawyer serving Marrero, call (337) 777-7777
Your Fatal Truck Accident Attorney in Marrero, LA Will Investigate What Happened
Coming to terms with your family’s new reality can be very challenging. It can be hard trying to piece together what might have happened to result in your loved one’s death.
When you work with our Marrero fatal truck accident attorneys, we’ll use our resources to investigate what happened to the best of our abilities. We want to stand beside you to hold the at-fault party responsible for the loss of your loved one.
The Type of Accident Can Provide More Answers
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration states that more than 70% of people killed in large truck crashes are generally occupants of smaller passenger vehicles. Truckers may be a small portion of drivers on the road; however, they can have large impacts. Some different types of truck accidents are:
- Head-on collisions. These accidents occur when large trucks collide with other vehicles head-on. This can be a result of driver error from the truck driver.
- Rear-end collisions. When a large truck drives into the back of another vehicle, it can be incredibly dangerous, as the truck may ride up onto the car or even completely run it over. Large trucks take much longer to stop than other vehicles due to their weight. If the truck isn’t maintained or loaded properly, the trucking company could be liable for the cause of the accident.
- Jackknife collisions. This type of crash can happen when a truck has to brake very quickly and the trailer swings out to a ninety-degree angle, causing roadway danger.
- Blind spot crashes. Large trucks have significant blind spots, which result in drivers being unable to see other vehicles.
- Roll-over crashes. The tractor-trailer can roll over when a truck driver loses control, creating multiple hazards on the road for other drivers.
- Underride crashes. This type of accident can happen if a truck stops abruptly and vehicles approaching the truck get stuck under the tractor-trailer, causing the top of the smaller car to be taken off.
- Multiple-vehicle crashes. As a result of the weight and size of trucks, they may push one vehicle into one or several others.
Other factors and details can also impact the cause of a fatal truck accident in Marrero. A combination of inclement weather, driver error, and proper truck maintenance or other drivers on the road can all be factors in an accident. Through our investigation, we will determine all liable parties and fight to hold them responsible.
Marrero Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Our Marrero Fatal Truck Accident Lawyers Will Aim to Hold the Liable Parties Responsible
Your case could be complicated and overwhelming, making you unsure of what to do next. Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for a free case evaluation, so you have someone on your side fighting for your family’s rights and the memory of your loved one.
During our free consultation, we will answer all your questions and discuss each step of the process. Call today so we can get to know you and learn about your case.