Taxi drivers perform an important service, but they and the companies they work for are just as susceptible to mistakes as anyone else. If you or a loved one was injured in an accident involving a taxicab, whether you were the passenger or a separate driver, you might be eligible to win financial awards to compensate you for your damages.
To learn how you might be able to receive compensation after a taxicab accident, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777. You can get help from a Lake Charles taxicab accident lawyer on your case.
How Taxicab Accidents Can Affect You
Getting behind the wheel of a car is always a big responsibility, no matter how far or close your destination is. However, taxi drivers have an additional responsibility to keep themselves and everyone else on the road safe, including their passengers.
People can become victims of taxicab accidents in a variety of ways. They might have been in another vehicle that was struck by a cab, or they might have been a passenger in the cab when it lost control. In some cases, a taxicab hit a pedestrian on the road.
No matter what position you were in during a taxicab accident, you might have suffered:
- Property damage, like the loss of a vehicle
- Physical injuries, like bone fractures, concussions, and back pain
- Psychological injury, like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or depression
- Wrongful death, which is the loss of a loved one who did not survive their accident injuries
Car accidents can have a variety of expensive, traumatizing, and even fatal consequences. You can discuss the damages you experienced with a representative at our law firm, and we can determine how to move forward with your case. We may also help you value your damages so that we can arrive at a monetary goal to pursue during litigation.
For a free legal consultation with a taxicab accident lawyer serving Lake Charles, call (337) 777-7777
There Are Two Categories of Compensatory Damages
Compensation can generally be divided into two main categories: economic damages and non-economic damages. We discuss what each category involves below.
This type of compensation includes any financial losses you experienced due to the accident or your injuries. You may qualify for the following economic damages:
- Medical costs, which can include costs for surgery, medication, physical therapy, and assistive devices
- Funeral costs, which can include costs for burying your loved one or settling their estate
- Income loss due to not being able to work as a result of your injuries
- Reduced earning capacity due to being permanently limited by your injuries
This type of compensation includes any physical, mental, and emotional suffering you went through because of the accident. You might qualify for these damages if you experienced:
- Pain and suffering, which can include physical pain and emotional anguish
- Disability if you lost body parts or functions due to your injuries
- Disfigurement, which can include scars or other marks left by your injuries after healing
- Loss of companionship if you lost a loved one in the accident
Limits on Damages
While you can ask for as many economic damages as you qualify for, noneconomic damages are a bit trickier. The total amount you may ask for in noneconomic damages cannot exceed $500,000. This information can be found in the Louisiana Revised Statutes (RS) § 13:5106.
In addition, you are only entitled to sue for damages for a short while. To ensure you get to seek compensation, contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777 as soon as possible. We can assign you a Lake Charles taxicab accident lawyer to help you navigate the legal process.
Lake Charles Taxicab Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
A Lawyer Can Perform Several Legal Tasks
Lawsuits involve many moving parts that you have to juggle all at once—unless you hire a law firm to do it for you. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers would be glad to assume legal responsibility for your case so that you can concentrate on recovering from your injuries. This responsibility might include taking charge of:
- The accident investigation: We may be able to conduct an independent investigation into how your accident happened and compile evidence that shows why the liable party’s insurance company should pay you compensation.
- Identifying damages: Between your testimony and our investigation, we can figure out what and how much you should ask for in your lawsuit.
- Paperwork: The legal process often involves filling out a lot of forms. We can make sure your lawsuit runs smoothly by submitting paperwork on your behalf in a timely manner.
- Communications: We are happy to serve as the middleman between you and the liable party. If they have anything to say to you, they can say it through your lawyer.
- Negotiations: Your lawyer will work hard and fight vigorously to convince the insurance company to pay you fair compensation.
- A trial: In cases where the insurance company does not offer fair compensation, your lawyer can represent you at trial. This involves scheduling court dates, submitting evidence, lining up witnesses, and preparing oral arguments.
While we do the hard work to build your case, we will never leave you out of the loop. You can expect regular updates about your lawsuit’s progress and honest, compassionate advice about your options.
Taxicab accidents can be traumatizing, potentially life-shattering events. Let a Lake Charles taxicab accident lawyer fight for your rights. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777. You can get a free case assessment and learn more about how we work for a contingency fee, meaning our lawyers do not collect attorney’s fees unless they win their cases.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form