If a car accident caused you physical and emotional anguish, as well as significant financial distress, we may be able to help. You could qualify to hold a negligent driver liable for damages if they are responsible for the accident and your injuries. Our firm can take over your case and fight to recover compensation for you.
A Lake Charles car accident lawyer from our team may be able to assist you in pursuing a fair settlement for your injuries. While automobile accident cases can be complex, a personal injury attorney from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can guide you through the process and work diligently to help you reach a settlement or recover a court award.
How a Lake Charles Car Crash Attorney Can Help with Your Case
Distracted, impaired, or inattentive drivers could make careless errors on the road, even though they have an implicit legal duty to operate their vehicles safely. When drivers make mistakes behind the wheel, they threaten the lives and safety of others on the road. They may be found legally negligent and liable for any accidents that result from their actions.
When you work with a member of our team, we’ll take on your case while you focus on recovering from your injuries and the disruption the crash caused in your life. We handle tasks such as:
- Collecting evidence to support your claim
- Protecting your right to sue
- Documenting your recoverable damages
- Abiding by all deadlines that apply to your case
- Filing your claim and negotiating with the insurer
- Preparing and proceeding with a personal injury lawsuit, if needed
If you or a loved one suffered physical, emotional, and financial harm in a Lake Charles traffic accident, our team is here to review your case and explain how we can help. We may be able to seek compensation for you and your family based on the details of what happened and the losses you sustained.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Works on a Contingency Basis
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we represent our clients with no upfront fees. Our attorneys receive payment based on contingency, so when we pursue a payout on your behalf, our fees come from this financial recovery, never your bank account.
You do not have to go through this alone. We are here to help, starting with a complimentary consultation and case assessment.
For a free legal consultation with a car accident lawyer serving Lake Charles, call (337) 777-7777
Timeline for Pursuing a Lake Charles Personal Injury Civil Action
Most Louisiana car accident cases settle out of court, meaning the victim never needs to go to trial to recover compensation. We can often negotiate an agreement with the insurer to pay our clients’ bills during the claims process. However, this is not true in every case.
If our team needs to take your case to trial, there are time limits we must meet, as follows:
- One year for personal injury suits, per CC Art. 3492
- One year for wrongful death suits, under CC Art. 2315.2
Exceptions exist, and you may have more or less than one year to sue. One of our attorneys can explain this further based on the circumstances of your crash.
Lake Charles Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Liability in Automobile Collisions in Lake Charles
The driver who caused the collision is generally liable for the damages that occur. However, this is somewhat complex in Louisiana because of the state’s pure comparative fault statute. Under this type of comparative fault, determinations of liability are sometimes complicated. Specifically, a claimant in Louisiana can still recover damages even if they are 99 percent at fault.
Per CC Art. 2323, the court can reduce the plaintiff’s damages in proportion to their fault, which means the claimant and the defendant may share the responsibility for the accident. For example, if the court finds the claimant 20 percent liable and the defendant 80 percent responsible for the accident, the claimant could recover only 80 percent of their total damages.
In a truck accident case, liability may be even more complex because the driver’s employer is generally vicariously liable for the injuries that occur. A car accident attorney from our team can walk you through the negligence principles that may apply to your specific personal injury claim.
Common Car Wreck Injuries
While a wide range of injuries could occur, possible injuries in car accidents include:
- Broken bones or fractures
- Head trauma
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cuts and bruises
Accident victims should seek immediate medical care following an accident to:
- Ensure they do not suffer any ill effects from unnoticed injuries
- Document their injuries to support their claim
Injury documentation is a critical component of any civil case. One of our attorneys can help collect the medical documents for use in your injury claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Seeking Medical Treatment and Recovering Damages
Because of the different injuries a person may sustain in an automobile accident, victims may recover several different types of damages depending on their circumstances. Personal injury cases may include compensation for:
- Medical expenses: Including any ongoing and future medical care, rehabilitation, physical therapy, occupational therapy, emergency room visits, ambulance rides, and transportation to medical appointments
- Property damage: Including towing or auto repair costs associated with the accident, as well as vehicle replacement costs.
- Transportation fees: If you had to use a rental car or use a taxi service while waiting for your car to be repaired
- Lost wages: If you had to miss work while recovering from the accident, you could be compensated for that time lost. If you cannot return to work in the same capacity or at all, you could seek damages for lost future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering: This is a non-economic damage for victims whose injuries have caused physical pain.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: If you are no longer able to participate in activities you used to enjoy because of your injuries
- Wrongful death: If a loved one passed away in the accident, you can sue for wrongful death. This could include any medical bills, funeral and burial costs, cremation costs, and loss of income from the decedent.
- Loss of consortium: If you lost your spouse in a car accident
A car accident lawyer from our team can assist you in gathering medical records and bills in support of your personal injury claim in Lake Charles. Your recoverable damages will depend heavily on the severity and type of injuries suffered.
For example, individuals who sustained soft tissue injuries in a car crash may undergo months of physical therapy and strengthening exercises to improve their range of motion and reduce their pain. Those who sustain severe head, neck, or back injuries may face permanent disability and years of treatment.
Since various complications may accompany severe injuries, some victims may require specialized long-term care to manage their condition.
How to Prove Your Damages
You should keep any bills or receipts you receive when pursuing a car accident lawsuit. Make sure to keep the following documentation:
- Receipts for collision repairs, towing, and a rental car
- Medical bills for current and ongoing medical care, emergency room, and ambulance bills
A Lake Charles car accident lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can give you more information on documentation you need to gather.
What to Do After a Car Accident
A car accident is a stressful event that can cause emotional distress. If you are physically able, it is important to document important information immediately following an accident. After you have confirmed the accident scene is safe, do the following:
- Check to see if anyone from the accident has injuries. If so, call for medical attention. Even if there is a small injury, it needs to be documented.
- Call the police and file a police report.
- Take pictures of all damage and injuries. If something looks like it could be pertinent to the case, take a photo.
- Gather information from all parties involved in the accident. This includes their name, contact information, and insurance information.
- Take any notes of how the accident occurred and other relevant information.
Gathering this information directly after an accident can help your attorney build your case.
Our Lawyers Can Help with Your Car Accident Case in Lake Charles
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we have the experience and knowledge to help with your car accident lawsuit. We will work relentlessly to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries. We are always there for our clients in the following ways:
- We are available 24/7. A member of our staff is always available to answer your questions or give you status updates.
- The lawyers at our firm have over 100 years of personal injury law experience.
- We offer free consultations, during which we can review your case and give you an estimate of how much your car accident lawsuit could be worth. During your consultation, we’ll also walk you through the possible timeline for your case so you are aware of what the timeframe looks like.
Get Help from a Lake Charles Car Accident Attorney
You do not have to go through the legal process of seeking financial recovery after a crash in Lake Charles alone. If you were injured in an auto wreck due to another person’s negligence, you may benefit from having a car accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers by your side in the fight for fair compensation.
Call today to schedule a consultation: (337) 777-7777.