The death of a loved one is devastating enough, but the experience is made worse when you know the actions or negligence of someone else are to blame for this loss. If your family member passed away due to injuries suffered in a car accident, you may have legal options. A Duson fatal car accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can assist you and your family as you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Whether your loved one was a pedestrian, cyclist, or in a vehicle, they deserve justice. The person or parties who caused this accident must be held accountable, and an attorney from our firm is ready to help make this happen.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
If you are driving a car, you must do everything in your power to share the road with others responsibly. A driver who does not do that must be held accountable for the harm they cause.
Fatal car accidents can have several causes. Cases we work on frequently involve:
- A driver operating their vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- A driver distracted by a cell phone call, their car’s infotainment system, or a conversation with passengers
- A driver speeding or acting recklessly
- A driver who is drowsy or falling asleep behind the wheel
No matter what the cause of the accident was, we can help you and your family fight for wrongful death damages.
For a free legal consultation with a fatal car accident lawyer serving Duson, call (337) 777-7777
What You Should Do After a Fatal Car Accident
After your loved one passes away in an accident, you should ensure you are protected and keep records that can help you make your case for wrongful death later. This can be a stressful time, and it might be tempting to take the first settlement offer, but that is unlikely to adequately cover your family’s needs. Instead, try to stay levelheaded and take the following steps:
- Keep copies of your loved one’s medical bills
- Keep records pertaining to funeral costs
- Gather information relating to your loved one’s income and contributions to the household
- Avoid making statements to lawyers, insurers, or other parties that could be involved in your suit
Then, it may be time to pursue compensation and talk to a fatal car accident lawyer serving Duson. They can handle settlement negotiations and filing a lawsuit, if necessary.
Duson Fatal Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Pursuing Compensation After a Fatal Car Accident
Wrongful death damages are meant to compensate you in two ways. You should be awarded both economic and non-economic damages.
These are meant to reimburse you for the economic costs of the accident. Economic damages in a wrongful death case can include compensation for:
- End-of-life medical care for your loved one
- Burial and funeral costs
- The loss of your loved one’s income
These are not the only costs of a fatal car accident, though, and that is where the next category of damages come in.
These help reimburse you and your family for the anguish and pain you experienced as a result of this accident. Non-economic damages can help compensate you for:
- A loss of companionship
- A loss of guidance
- Emotional anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Any past and future pain and suffering caused by the accident and the loss of your loved one
A fair settlement offer considers both the economic and non-economic costs of the accident and what your family experienced.
Who Can Pursue Wrongful Death Damages
Certain family members have priority when it comes to pursuing wrongful death damages. The state statute CC Art. 2315.2 lists eligible family members in this order:
- The surviving spouse and child or children of the deceased
- The surviving father and mother of the deceased
- The surviving brothers and sisters of the deceased
- The surviving grandfathers and grandmothers of the deceased
This means if the deceased has a spouse or child, they get the chance to pursue wrongful death damages. If there is no spouse or child, the parents can sue for wrongful death, and so on. If you are unsure about whether you can pursue a wrongful death case, you can contact our law firm to learn more about your legal options.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How a Duson Fatal Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
Hiring an attorney can be beneficial in several ways. A fatal car accident attorney from our firm is ready to help you in the following ways:
- Filing your case before the statute of limitations expires
- Gathering evidence about your accident
- Talking to eyewitnesses
- Holding all liable parties accountable
- Communicating on your behalf
- Fielding settlement offers
- Calculating fair compensation
- Preparing you for testimony or depositions
- Protecting your loved one from accusations of wrongdoing
The insurance companies and other parties involved in your case are likely to have attorneys of their own. Let us lend you our knowledge and resources.
Affording an Attorney
If you are looking at a pile of bills and wondering how your household is going to keep running without your loved one’s income, you may be thinking an attorney’s fee is just one more bill you cannot afford. We understand.
That is why we work on contingency in cases like these. What that means is we will not charge you and your family a fee when we take on your case. We will collect our fee if and when you win the compensation you deserve, and the fee will come from your earnings, not your pocket.
Contact Us for Your Free Case Consultation
We know you are going through a hard time right now, but you do not have to go through it alone. A fatal car accident attorney serving Duson is ready to assist you and fight for the compensation you and your family deserve.
If you want to learn more about your legal options in either Acadia or Lafayette Parish, contact us today. There is no obligation, and a case consultation is free. So, contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers now for invaluable legal help.