Iberia Parish saw 11 fatalities from motor vehicle accidents in 2021, according to the Louisiana Department of Transportation & Development. If your loved one died from injuries in a crash due to another party’s negligence, consider consulting a Jeanerette fatal car accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers.
You and other family members might be eligible for compensation for your damages. Let’s take a look at who might be responsible for paying compensation for a wrongful death claim or lawsuit arising out of a deadly car accident.
Who You Can Hold Accountable for a Fatal Car Crash in Jeanerette, LA
Holding someone accountable in a wrongful death case that arises out of a motor vehicle collision means figuring out whose mistake caused the accident. Let’s say that two friends were racing each other down the street. One of the cars spun out of control and crashed into a third vehicle, killing the passenger. The driver of the out-of-control car may be on the hook for the resulting wrongful death damages.
In some situations, careless acts of multiple people combined to cause the accident. For example, one driver ran a red light and crashed into a speeding driver. If a third vehicle got caught up in the collision and someone suffered injuries in that car, they could sue both of the negligent drivers. A fatal car accident lawyer in Jeanerette, LA, on our team can help you sort out the liability issues in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a fatal car accident lawyer serving Jeanerette, call (337) 777-7777
Types of Damages in Wrongful Death Cases from Car Crashes in Jeanerette, LA
Compensation in fatal car accident cases in Louisiana can include out-of-pocket costs, like the funeral, burial, and cremation, as well as the final medical bills of the deceased person. Those bills can start with the ambulance and emergency room and continue for the treatment of the decedent’s injuries until they pass away.
The legal beneficiaries can seek compensation for these losses:
- Loss of the income the decedent earned that helped to support the family
- Loss of benefits the family previously received through the deceased individual, like health insurance from the decedent’s job
- No longer having the companionship, advice, education, and guidance of the deceased person
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Final medical care costs
You do not have to figure out all of the possible losses you and your eligible relatives have suffered because of the untimely death of your loved one. Our fatal car accident attorney in Jeanerette, LA, can talk to you about the kinds of damages you can recover.
Jeanerette Fatal Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Services Our Fatal Car Accident Lawyers Can Provide in Your Case
Here at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we work on your fatal car accident case so that you do not have to do those tasks. You get to focus on your well-being and family while we take care of legal matters.
Here are just a handful of the services we can provide in wrongful death claims:
- Exchanging information with the insurance company so that they have the facts they need to assess the financial value of your case. This information can include things like the police report, medical records, employment records, receipts from the funeral, cremation, burial, and other relevant items.
- Calculating the settlement value of your claim and negotiating directly with the insurance company to try to resolve your case out of court.
- Keeping you up-to-date on the status of your case. We stay in close communication with our clients and let them know about developments.
- We take the time to listen to your concerns, explain the process, and answer your questions. We treat our clients with respect and compassion, understanding that they are going through a stressful grieving phase.
- We draft the court papers and pleadings and file a lawsuit if appropriate. The negotiations can continue after we file the lawsuit. Only filing a lawsuit will satisfy the statute of limitations if we haven’t settled your case and the deadline is approaching.
- If the case does go to trial, we handle the proceedings on your behalf. Most cases eventually settle, though.
Every case is different. Your situation might require additional or different services. We tailor our handling of fatal car accident claims to the needs of the client.
An Overview of Contingency Fee Arrangements for Fatal Car Accident Cases
You might worry about the expense of hiring a lawyer to represent you in a case. When you need to hire our fatal car accident attorneys, however, the legal fees should be your last worry. You will not have to pay a fee deposit at the beginning of your case to receive our help on your wrongful death claim or lawsuit.
We use a legal fee arrangement called contingency fees, which means that we only collect attorney’s fees if we secure a financial award for you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Fatal Car Accident Lawsuit Filing Deadlines in Louisiana
You have to act quickly to protect your right to pursue compensation following a fatal car accident in Louisiana. Generally, the wrongful death statute of limitations, also called the filing deadline, is only one year from the date of death, under CC Art. 2315.2.
In a crash involving fatalities, there may be people who are injured but not fatally. Those people usually need to file their personal injury lawsuit within one year, according to CC Art. 3492.
If you do not file a lawsuit before the corresponding deadline, the state can bar you from seeking compensation in your wrongful death or personal injury case. The insurance company will no longer owe you any money, so they will stop negotiating with you.
Get Help From Our Jeanerette Fatal Car Accident Lawyers Today
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers stands ready to help those who have lost a loved one to a fatal car accident in Jeanerette, LA. Get in touch with our firm today to learn more in a free consultation.