If you got injured in a construction truck accident that was not your fault, a lawyer can help you fight to hold the at-fault party accountable for your losses. A New Iberia construction truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is ready to handle your legal case while you focus on recovering.
Recoverable Damages in New Iberia Construction Truck Collisions
We cannot tell you the exact amount of compensation you might be able to pursue after getting injured in a construction truck collision in New Iberia, Louisiana, as determining a fair settlement figure requires a thorough investigation of your losses. However, we can explain some common categories of monetary damages people seek in this situation.
If the accident was not your fault, the party responsible for causing the crash may have to compensate you for these losses:
- Lost wages. You experience a financial loss when you do not get paid for the time you missed at work while recuperating from your wounds from the construction truck collision. If your boss did not pay you the full amount of your wages while you recovered, we can add these lost wages to your injury claim.
- Future lost wages. Construction truck crashes can cause severe injuries and long-term impairment. You might not be able to earn as much money as you could before getting hurt. We can include the difference between your previous earnings and the amount you can make now in your claim.
- Medical expenses. Typically, you can pursue the cost of treatment of your injuries from the construction truck accident. For example, this category can include bills resulting from the ambulance, trauma center, surgery, diagnostic testing, doctors, hospital, physical therapy, and pain management.
- Future medical treatment. Depending on the nature and severity of your injuries, your treating physician might feel that you need ongoing medical care or procedures. For example, a severe leg or arm injury may require long-term physical therapy to reach maximum medical improvement.
- Long-term care. After suffering debilitating wounds in a construction truck accident, you may lose the ability to live independently. If you require daily assistance with medical treatment and personal care, we can add these costs to your requested settlement amount.
- Intangible losses. This category includes compensation for emotional and mental challenges, like disfigurement, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and depression.
We might be able to seek additional compensation for your family if your loved one died because of injuries received in a commercial truck crash. We would handle this situation through a wrongful death claim or lawsuit.
For a free legal consultation with a construction truck accident lawyer serving New Iberia, call (337)-547-2777
How to Hold the At-Fault Party Accountable After a Construction Truck Accident
We must prove these four factors to establish the liability of the party who caused the accident that injured you:
- Duty of care: The person we file a claim or a lawsuit against must have owed you a duty of care under Louisiana law. Everyone operating motor vehicles on public streets has a legal obligation to exercise caution and prevent harm to others.
- Breach of duty: Let’s say that the defendant was arguing with someone on their cell phone instead of focusing on driving the construction truck safely. Failure to pay attention while driving is negligence. Carelessness alone, however, is not enough to hold a person accountable for your losses.
- Causation: The negligent conduct must have directly caused the construction truck accident. In our hypothetical scenario, perhaps the construction truck slammed into the back of your car when you were stopped at a red light. The truck driver did not notice the red light (or your car) because they were focused on their argument on the phone. Therefore, their failure to pay attention to the task of driving caused the collision.
- Damages: To prove negligence, the plaintiff must have quantifiable losses to seek monetary damages in a personal injury case like a construction truck collision. Physical injuries satisfy this element for establishing liability.
We understand that legal issues like liability, negligence, causation, and damages can be confusing. A commercial truck accident lawyer in New Iberia, LA will be happy to talk to you and answer your questions.
New Iberia Construction Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337)-547-2777
Four Steps to Take After a Construction Truck Crash in New Iberia, LA
After being involved in any motor vehicle collision, you should do what makes sense in your situation. We realize that your injuries may be too severe to do much of anything. If that is the case, all you need to do is try to stay calm and wait for help to arrive.
However, here are some steps you should take if you are able:
- Call 9-1-1 to request medical assistance and ask the police to come to the accident scene and document what happened. The other driver might invent a different version of the facts to try to avoid paying for your losses, but a police record may support your story.
- Get medical treatment right away. In addition to wanting to heal well from your wounds, your medical records will be useful in connecting the truck accident to your injuries.
- Collect contact information from other involved motorists and witnesses.
- Talk to a personal injury law firm as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you might no longer have a case for compensation under Louisiana law.
- Complete your medical treatment. Skipping the last few physical therapy sessions, for example, might cause the defendant to argue that they should not have to pay you as much money because you healed quicker than expected.
If you become our client, our New Iberia construction truck accident attorneys will have additional guidance based on your unique circumstances.
Click to contact our New Iberia Truck Accident Lawyers today
How a Commercial Truck Accident Attorney in New Iberia, LA Could Help With Your Injury Claim
After suffering severe injuries in a construction truck collision, you should focus your energy and time on recovering. You cannot devote your attention to healing if you have the stress of trying to handle your injury claim or lawsuit.
Thankfully, you do not have to go through the injury claim or lawsuit process alone. Our New Iberia construction truck accident lawyers can handle your injury claim on your behalf. If appropriate, we can file a lawsuit and be prepared to take the case to trial if necessary. You deserve a law firm that gets significant verdicts and settlements for its clients.
Here are a few examples of cases we have won for our clients:
- $7,000,000.00 – Judgment for an injured 18-wheeler driver
- $5,250,000.00 – Auto accident resulting in brain injury
- $5,000,000.00 – Judgment for a paralyzed driver
- $2,700,000.00 – Settlement for an 18-wheeler accident victim
Every case is different, and the facts of your situation will determine the amount of compensation we could pursue for you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Filing Deadline for an Injury Case After a Commercial Truck Collision in Louisiana
Louisiana has one of the shortest filing deadlines in the country for personal injury or wrongful death claims. You only have one year to file a personal injury lawsuit, according to CC Art. 3492. If your close relative died because of a commercial truck accident, you must file your wrongful death lawsuit within one year, according to CC Art. 2315.2.
Get Legal Help With Your Construction Truck Injury Claim
You can get started on your construction truck accident injury case today. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers offers a free initial consultation. Contact us today to find out if you might have grounds for a claim for your losses and learn how a New Iberia construction truck accident lawyer can help.
Call or text (337)-547-2777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form