Sadly, Louisiana is no stranger to fatal truck accidents. The Louisiana Department of Transportation & Development reported that in 2021, there were 90 such crashes. If you lost a loved one to a fatal truck accident, you may qualify to file a wrongful death case against the liable party.
A New Iberia fatal truck accident lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can assess your case and fight for fair compensation on your behalf—whether that’s in settlement negotiations or the courtroom before a jury. You can learn more about how our attorneys can assist you when you call for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Recovering Compensation After a Fatal Truck Accident in New Iberia, LA
The sudden death of your loved one can leave you with grief, anguish, and financial upset. Although nothing can fix what happened to your loved one and the rest of your family, compensation may help you work through this difficult time in your life.
You may be entitled to seek the following damages in a wrongful death action:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of financial support
- End-of-life medical care bills
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of household services
- Loss of consortium, care, and companionship
When your fatal truck accident attorney reviews your case, they may find that you can recover other damages we haven’t mentioned in this list.
For a free legal consultation with a fatal truck accident lawyer serving New Iberia, call (337) 777-7777
Having Our Fatal Truck Accident Lawyers in New Iberia Fight for You
You should focus on working through your grief and spending time with your family, not figuring out how to file a claim and evaluate your damages. Instead, leave that and other associated tasks to one of our fatal truck accident attorneys in New Iberia, LA.
They offer these services:
- Analyzing, collecting, and presenting evidence
- Identifying the negligent and liable parties
- Interacting with other involved parties
- Entering into settlement negotiations
- Taking your case before a jury, if we cannot resolve your case in negotiations
- Keeping you up to date on the status of your case
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we have more than 250 years of combined experience, and we intend to put all of it behind your case.
New Iberia Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
How Much It Costs to Hire Our Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer in New Iberia, LA
We understand that this may be a financially difficult time for you. Allow us to take some of that stress away, as our attorneys can take your case on a contingency-fee basis, meaning:
- We cover all expenses related to your case from start to finish.
- We don’t take hourly, out-of-pocket, or upfront payments.
Your lawyer only receives a payment if and when they procure compensation for you. Our working under a contingency-fee arrangement allows us to start working on your case right away while reducing any financial risk you may take.
Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit After a Fatal Truck Accident in New Iberia, LA
Louisiana’s statute of limitations restricts how long you have to file a wrongful death lawsuit after an accident. In most cases, the statute of limitations is one year, according to CC Art. 2315.2. It’s important that you file before this deadline because you may not be eligible to receive compensation if you wait too long.
If you give our team enough notice, we can work to comply with the deadline and protect your right to collect compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Ways a Fatal Truck Accident Can Happen
Various factors can contribute to a fatal truck accident, such as:
- Bad weather conditions
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Speeding and other types of aggressive driving
- Following too closely
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Vehicle defects
- Poor roadway conditions
- Road rage
- Disregarding other road users
- Failure to yield
Your fatal truck accident attorney can gather different forms of evidence to figure out what caused the incident. This evidence may include the following:
- Dashcam footage
- Photos of the crash scene and damaged vehicles at different angles
- Truck maintenance records
- Medical bills and records
- Black box data
- Traffic camera footage
- The truck driver’s employment information
- The police report
If you have any other information that you think could bolster the validity of your case, bring it to your lawyer.
Potential Liable Parties in a Fatal Truck Crash Case
The aforementioned evidence can also direct us to who bears liability. The following parties may be on the hook for your damages:
- The trucking company: This party usually takes financial responsibility for their trucker’s negligent actions. However, the trucking company might have been negligent if they disregarded safety protocols, which led to an accident.
- The truck driver: Although rare, the truck driver may be liable if they caused the crash as a private contractor.
- A government municipality: Fatal truck crashes can transpire if a government agency in charge of keeping the roads in good condition fails to uphold this duty.
- A cargo company: The employees may have failed to secure and load the cargo onto the truck properly.
- A truck parts manufacturer: It could have produced or designed a defective part. As a result, the trucker might have lost control of the truck and struck your vehicle.
Sometimes, more than one party may be liable for your damages, and your lawyer can hold them to account accordingly.
Our Fatal Truck Accident Lawyers in New Iberia Want to Help You
After you lose a family member to a fatal truck accident, you may not know where to turn. Luckily, the New Iberia fatal truck accident lawyers can help you navigate the legal process while you mourn your loved one.
We offer free consultations and won’t take a dime from you unless and until we secure compensation for you. Connect with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today to begin your pursuit of justice.