Louisiana has some of the busiest harbors and off-shore industries in the country. Many maritime workers make their living on oil rigs, tugboats, barges, and maritime vessels. However, this work can come to an abrupt halt for workers when serious off-shore accidents happen and they sustain injuries.
If you’re a maritime worker and have been hurt in an off-shore accident, a Marrero off-shore accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation and guide you every step of the way.
What Should I do After an Off-Shore Accident?
The decisions you make right after an offshore accident can have a big impact on your compensation claim. Some steps to take could include:
- Get medical attention: Ensure that you get yourself checked out at the nearest hospital. If you’re at sea when the accident occurs, this could take some time. You should always seek medical attention as it will help you know the full extent of your injuries.
- Report the incident: Inform your employer, supervisor, or your captain. You should make an accident report and record what happened. Your Marrero personal injury lawyer can be present if you wish.
- Take photos: Take photos of your injuries before and after treatment. If you are able, take photos of the accident site. If your injuries are too severe, your lawyer can photograph the scene for you.
- Keep copies of everything: Keep copies of the incident report, police report, medical bills, and all documentation. Your lawyer can use these as evidence in your case.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Causes of Off-Shore Accidents in Marrero
There are many causes of offshore accidents. Some of the most common can include:
- Poor safety conditions: Each port in Louisiana gets to determine its own safety and security plans to protect personnel, maritime vessels, and facilities. However, many employers or vessel owners fail to adhere to the safety plans set by their ports. Poor safety protocols on maritime vessels can often lead to off-shore accidents. For instance, failing to remove or safeguard hazardous materials could lead to spillage. This may expose maritime employees to hazardous materials causing injuries or illness.
- Poor hiring and training practices: Maritime workers have to be properly vetted and trained before they begin working.
- Unseaworthy vessel: The employer or vessel owner must ensure that the vessel and equipment are reasonably safe.
- Explosions and fires: It is common for offshore accidents to occur due to fire as many maritime vessels carry flammable substances on board. An explosion or fire may occur when the combustible materials are negligently handled.
A Marrero off-shore accident lawyer can determine the cause of the accident you suffered. Your lawyer can protect your interests and help you take on your employer or any liable third party.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
How Can a Marrero Off-Shore Accident Lawyer Help?
A Marrero off-shore accident lawyer could ensure you make the right decisions in your claim for damages after the off-shore accident. Your lawyer could also:
- Gather evidence by conducting their own investigation into the accident
- Talk to any witnesses and record their statements
- Find out the status of the vessel at the time of the accident
- Negotiate with the insurers and your employer’s attorneys
- Determine how you can make a claim for damages
- Review employment records and determine if your employer has been involved in a similar accident in the past
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
What Damages Can I Pursue?
You have the right to recover the medical expenses you have incurred due to the accident. The court will consider current and future costs depending on how long your injuries could last. Off-shore accidents often result in severe injuries that can take months or even years to heal. The medical costs associated with treating such injuries could financially impair your family.
The second type of damage you can recover is lost earnings. You could recover some of your pay during the period you are unable to work. You could also pursue future loss of wages may count if you are unable to work due to impairments caused by the accident. You can also recover damages for loss in earning capacity. Depending on your situation, your lawyer could also pursue the following types of damages:
- Costs of physical therapy
- Payment for vocational rehabilitation
- Pain and suffering
- Partial to complete disability
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
The Jones Act
The Jones Act allows injured seamen to sue their employers directly for compensation after an off-shore accident. To qualify, you must work onboard a navigating vessel and spend at least 30 percent of your time on the vessel. Under the Jones Act, some negligence must have been involved. Your Marrero off-shore accident lawyer can help with this. There are many ways to prove negligence when it has occurred.
The Longshore Harbor Worker’s Compensation Act
If you’re a maritime worker who wouldn’t fit the criteria of a Jones Act seaman, you can file under the Longshore Harbor Worker’s Compensation Act (LHWCA). The LHWCA covers dockworkers, harbor workers, shipping terminal employees, shipbuilders, and more. The LHWCA doesn’t require proof of negligence.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
If you’ve been injured in an off-shore accident at work, a Marrero off-shore accident lawyer from our firm can help you navigate the complex maritime laws involved in seeking compensation. Our attorneys can review your case and come up with a course of action to hold the liable parties accountable. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation.