The Mississippi River is one of the essential waterways in the United States. Running across Marrero, Louisiana, it provides vital job opportunities to thousands of local workers. Vessels running across Marrero transport everything from food to oil to coal.
Unfortunately, injuries are common among Marrero’s seamen and maritime workers. When maritime accidents do happen, they can cause severe injury or even death. If you or a loved one have suffered any type of injury while working in the maritime industry, a Marrero seaman injury lawyer can help you seek compensation.
What Types of Injuries Affect Seamen in Marrero?
- Sprains and strains:These account for the majority of maritime injuries. They can be caused by slips, trips, and falls on deck, in the engine room, or while working with cargo.
- Cuts and lacerations: Workers can easily cut themselves on ropes, chains, and other sharp objects on board a vessel.
- Burns:Ships’ engines and boilers can cause serious burns. Hot oil or steam also causes burns on ships and oil rigs.
- Fractures:Falls from height are a common cause of fractures among maritime workers, as some oil rigs can be up to 100 feet above the water. Broken bones can also occur as a result of working with heavy objects or machinery.
- Drowning:Mariners who fall overboard or are knocked into the water can drown.
- Asphyxiation:Poor ventilation and exposure to toxic fumes can cause asphyxiation.
- Electric shocks:Maritime workers are at risk of electric shocks from contact with high-voltage equipment and wires.
- Eye injuries:Flying particles and other hazards onboard ships can cause serious eye injuries.
- Hearing loss:Continuous exposure to loud noises, such as engines and machinery, without ear protection can lead to hearing loss.
- Heart attacks:The physical demands of working on a ship can increase maritime workers’ risk of heart attacks.
- Heat exhaustion:Working in hot environments, such as engine rooms, can lead to heat exhaustion.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
What Should I Do After a Seaman Accident?
- Immediately seek medical attention.This is especially true if you suffer from any type of head trauma. Even minor bumps can lead to severe problems.
- File a report with your employer. This is required to pursue legal compensation. Failure to do so within the time limits could mean giving up your right to file an injury claim. If you like, your Marrero personal injury lawyer can be present when you make the report.
- Keep copies of everything. This includes a copy of the accident report, police report, medical documents, and bills. These can be used as evidence for your injury claim. Also take photos of your injuries, before and after treatment.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
The Jones Act
Congress enacted the Jones Act to protect seamen against negligence and unseaworthy conditions. The Jones Act also allows them to seek recovery for personal injuries sustained during their employment. This includes not only physical injuries but also mental anguish and emotional distress. To file a Jones Act lawsuit, you must:
- Be a seaman at the time of your injury.
- Spend at least 30 percent of your working hours onboard the vessel
- Prove that the accident was caused by negligence or the unseaworthiness of the vessel.
First and foremost, you need to determine whether negligence caused your injuries. This means that the responsible party either failed to provide adequate safety measures or failed to use reasonable care.
There are many ways that an employer can be negligent. They include failing to warn employees of potential hazards, failing to maintain equipment properly, failing to properly train crewmembers, or not hiring enough crewmembers for the required tasks. Proving negligence requires collecting evidence and that’s where your lawyer comes in. A Marrero seaman injury lawyer can help determine who was responsible for your accident and how to prove it.
The Statute of Limitations
The deadlines involved in a Jones Act case are taken very seriously. Missing any of them could mean forfeiting your right to seek compensation. Under the Jones Act, you have up to three years from the date of the accident to file your lawsuit, but only seven days to report the accident to your employer.
Waiting too long could result in the statute of limitations running out. If this happens, you will lose your right to sue. It is always better to act quickly than to delay. The longer you wait, the less chance there is of recovering damages. A Marrero seaman injury lawyer can make sure your paperwork is filed on time.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
How Can a Marrero Seaman Injury Lawyer Help Me?
Seamen often face unique challenges when pursuing compensation claims. Many employers operate without insurance coverage. Others refuse to pay out until after litigation begins. Still, others offer inadequate settlements. A Marrero seaman injury attorney can handle all aspects of your case, including:
- Preparing documents and filing the claim
- Negotiating with opposing counsel and the insurance company
- Making sure that you understand how the process works
- Keeping you updated on developments in your case
- Collecting evidence and interviewing witnesses
- Guiding you in accepting settlement offers
- Representing you in court if a settlement can’t be reached
You want someone who cares about your rights. A Marrero seaman injury lawyer from our firm can do all of the above and more, guiding you and providing solid legal counsel every step of the way.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we know that after a seaman injury, all you want is to recover, yet still be in a position where your loved ones can financially depend on you. Hiring an attorney to handle your lawsuit can give you enough room for recovery. It can also give you peace of mind. A Marrero seaman injury lawyer from our firm can handle all of the work of your case so you can focus on rest and healing. Call today to schedule your free case evaluation.