Child safety on the road is a serious matter in Louisiana, and the state imposes strict laws about when a child must be in a car seat. The state also mandates the age and weight at which a child can graduate from a car seat.
As a parent, if you were conscientious about car seat laws in Louisiana and made sure your child was safely restrained, our legal team can help you seek financial compensation if your child was injured in a car accident. Your recoverable damages can include medical care and pain and suffering.
Car Seat Age and Weight Restrictions in Louisiana
As a Louisiana driver, any time you have a child in your car, the state requires them to be in a car seat. Even minors up to 18 years old are required to wear seat belts in your vehicle. According to RS 32:295:
- Children younger than two years old must be in a rear-facing car seat specifically manufactured for their weight and height
- Children older than two years old must be in a car seat equipped with a harness
- Children up to four years old must be in a booster seat and restrained by a lap-shoulder seat belt
Additional restrictions apply as children grow and age. Our car accident lawyers take car seat safety seriously. If your child was injured in a traffic accident because of another driver’s negligence, we could help you seek compensation.
Car Seats Reduce Injuries and Save Lives
Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) research cites car accidents as the cause of more than 91,000 injuries and 600 fatalities of children aged 12 and younger in 2019. As many as 38% of children who suffered fatalities were not properly restrained. Right-sized car seats are recommended because they seriously reduce the risk of injury.
You can take all the proper safety precautions and drive carefully, and another driver’s action can still lead to a collision. If this happened to you, we would pursue the at-fault driver for your injuries and any injuries or trauma to your child.
For a free legal consultation, call 337-221-9907
Types of Damages Injured Victims of Car Accidents Can Pursue
If you or your son or daughter was injured in a car crash, you could request the following types of recoverable damages for you and your child:
- Medical bills
- Income loss
- Property damage
- Physical impairment
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
If applicable to your car accident case, we also request specific wrongful death damages. When we represent you, we fight hard for the financial outcome you deserve. We ensure your case is accurately assessed and negotiate an appropriate settlement with the at-fault driver’s insurer.
Louisiana Law Limits Your Time to Take Legal Action Against the at-Fault Driver
The statute of limitations relevant to your car accident can be complicated. In fact, even though you and your child were involved in the same accident, the statute of limitations can vary. In general:
- CC Art. 3492 entitles you to one year to file a personal injury lawsuit
- CC Art. 2315.2 entitles you to one year to file a wrongful death lawsuit
Depending on your child’s age at the time of the accident, the statute of limitations for their recoverable damages could be different. When one of our car accident attorneys manages your compensation request, we ensure each part of your case meets the appropriate filing deadline.
A Few Words From Our Satisfied Clients
When we represent injured clients, we take each case seriously and fight for our client’s financial recovery. Clients we represented in the past said:
- “I cannot recommend this law firm enough! They are highly efficient, professional, knowledgeable, and most importantly, personable. The staff does their best to make every client feel welcome and cared for while working with them…I will be referring any friends in need to them in the future.” – Auzita Sajjadi
- “They answer your questions directly, treat you as an equal, as a friend, are definitely affordable, and absolutely provide you with the reassurance and peace-of-mind that any great injury law firm should be known for. Thanks, Laborde Earles!” – Ryan Fontenot
- “Laborde Earles went above and beyond my expectations. Great experience overall, they understand their clients and my needs were put first. I can’t say enough about them…I would highly recommend this firm.” – Brenda Lott
Our team never treats you like a case file or treats your compensation request like a one-size-fits-all case. When we represent you, we leave no stone unturned in seeking compensation for your or your child’s injuries.
Learn About Your Rights to Compensation for Injuries Suffered in a Car Accident
Louisiana car seat laws are designed to keep children safe on the road. If your child was injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you seek financial compensation. Complete and submit our contact form or call one of our team members at (337) 777-7777 today.