Pedestrian accidents are common in the U.S., and the Louisiana Department of Transportation & Development (LDTD) reveals that more than 1,100 pedestrians were injured, and 181 passed away in accidents in 2021. While pedestrians should exercise caution when walking in traffic, drivers must also be cautious and pay attention to their surroundings.
You might be entitled to recover compensation if you’ve been injured while walking or running due to someone else’s fault. Consider hiring a Jeanerette pedestrian accident lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for legal help pursuing your claim.
How a Jeanerette Pedestrian Accident Lawyer at Our Firm Helps
If you were injured or lost a loved one due to a pedestrian accident, you might have grounds for a personal injury or wrongful death case. However, filing such a claim is often a complex process, especially if you have sustained severe injuries or are still grieving the loss of a loved one.
A Jeanerette pedestrian accident lawyer with our firm can go to bat for you, helping you protect your rights and seek compensation by:
- Launching a thorough investigation to determine the pedestrian accident’s cause and those responsible
- Collecting evidence and finding eyewitnesses who were present at the time of the accident
- Analyzing and countering the evidence the defendant’s lawyers present
- Requesting access to your medical records and the police report to validate your claim
- Handling all correspondence and negotiations with insurance companies on your behalf
- Evaluating all the damages you’ve incurred to compute a fair settlement amount
- Representing you in court (if necessary) throughout all phases of litigation, including pretrial hearings and trials
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Jeanerette, call (337) 777-7777
Liable Parties in Pedestrian Accidents
When you’re hit by a car while walking, it can be a traumatic experience. In addition to the physical injuries, you may have to deal with emotional distress and financial hardship.
In such an accident, many parties may be liable for your damages, including:
- The driver of the vehicle who hit you
- The owner of the vehicle involved in the crash
- A part manufacturer if the brakes of the car that hit you malfunctioned
Sometimes, a combination of these parties will be responsible for your damages.
Jeanerette Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
There are many reasons why pedestrian accidents occur, and some of the most common causes are:
Distracted driving is any activity that takes a driver’s attention away from the task at hand—safe driving. Texting while driving is one of the most common distractions that cause car accidents, but other activities like eating or talking on the phone can also be dangerous when behind the wheel.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), alcohol-impaired drivers cause about one-third of all traffic fatalities in the U.S. annually. This means that pedestrians should constantly be checking for drunk drivers when crossing streets or walking near roads.
Drunk drivers often fail to see pedestrians or realize that they don’t have enough time to stop safely before hitting them.
Right turns can be dangerous for everyone, especially when drivers don’t see pedestrians or cyclists crossing in front of them. These types of accidents often occur when someone pulls out of a driveway or parking lot directly into traffic without checking if it’s clear.
Failure to Yield
When a driver fails to yield, they don’t slow down or stop for pedestrians who have the right-of-way, and this can lead to an accident with a pedestrian if they happen to be crossing at that moment.
Drivers might also fail to yield to pedestrians who have entered their lane from another direction.
Bad Weather Conditions
Bad weather conditions, like foggy weather or rain, can also lead to pedestrian accidents, as drivers may have limited visibility while driving. This makes it difficult for drivers to spot pedestrians crossing in front of them or people standing at intersections waiting for traffic lights before crossing over.
Click to contact our Jeanerette Personal Injury Lawyers today
The Compensation You May Get in a Jeanerette Pedestrian Accident Case
If you’ve been hurt in a pedestrian accident, you might be entitled to collect compensation for your injuries and other damages. The amount of compensation is based on the extent of your injuries and how they affect your life.
A Jeanerette pedestrian accident attorney on our team can help you recover the following damages:
- Medical bills and related costs: These include the cost of any medical treatment you receive after the accident, ambulance rides, prescription medication, and transportation to and from medical appointments.
- Lost wages and benefits: If you lose time from work because of your injuries, you should receive compensation for the lost wages and benefits. If the injuries prevent you from working in the same capacity or at all in the future, your attorney could also pursue damages for the future income you’ll lose.
- Pain and suffering: This is a challenging but essential area of compensation that often gets overlooked during injury claims. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may be entitled to receive compensation for pain, suffering, and emotional distress resulting from your accident.
- Loss of life quality: Your ability to live an active life could be affected by your injuries. As such, you may be entitled to recover compensation for loss in quality of life caused by the pedestrian accident.
- Wrongful death damages: If your loved one lost their life in or after a pedestrian accident, you could pursue a wrongful death claim for the funeral and burial costs, loss of companionship, and loss of consortium.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Statute of Limitations for Pedestrian Accident Lawsuits
According to Louisiana’s CC Art. 3492, victims must file a personal injury lawsuit usually within one year of the pedestrian accident date. On the other hand, if a loved one passed away due to the accident, CC Art. 2315.2 states that you also have one year after the death to file a wrongful death lawsuit. You’ll be barred from filing your lawsuit if you miss this deadline.
Let Us Provide Responsive Legal Help After You’re in a Pedestrian Accident
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, it’s crucial to understand your rights; you could be eligible to recover monetary compensation. After a pedestrian accident, you can rely on Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers to provide responsive legal services.
Our Jeanerette pedestrian accident lawyers have the knowledge and experience to help you win. Contact us today for a free consultation. We don’t charge upfront fees and costs to start working on your case.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form