In the United States, many roadway fatalities each year affect motorcyclists. A report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in 2019 showed that more than 5,000 people lost their lives in motorcycle-related accidents. Motorcyclists are on average 27 times more likely to lose their lives in traffic accidents.
If you were in a motorcycle accident in Jeanerette, you might be entitled to pursue compensation for any damages and injuries caused. Even if the injuries from the accident were minor and the damages minimal, it might be in your best interest to negotiate for a settlement with legal representation.
Role of a Jeanerette Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If your accident happened in Jeanerette recently, don’t delay hiring a lawyer for help. Hiring a lawyer during your claim can make the difference between a lowball settlement and receiving full compensation for your damages.
After you contact a motorcycle accident lawyer, you’ll get help to build a credible case by collecting evidence, proving liability, offering legal advice, negotiating with the insurer, and filing a lawsuit in court if the insurance company isn’t ready to pay a reasonable settlement. Here are the actions your lawyer will take to assist you in your case:
Build Your Motorcycle Accident Case
Your motorcycle accident lawyer will gather evidence to build a strong case and prove liability. The lawyer will request a police report, take eyewitness statements, collect photos of the accident scene, and obtain medical records.
The aim is to show what led to the accident, who is liable, and the reason the party at fault is responsible for your damages. Your lawyer can also consult experts, such as accident scene reconstruction experts, to improve the credibility of your case.
Negotiate a Fair Settlement
After filing your injury claim, the insurance company will review and respond. The insurance company may respond with a minimum offer to cover your damages. Lawyers know how to handle the insurance company through back-and-forth negotiations. Your lawyer will strive to get a fair settlement amount based on your damages’ value.
Represent You in Court
Most motorcycle injury claims are settled out of court. However, the insurance company might be unwilling to agree on a reasonable settlement. If both parties disagree, your lawyer will advise you on what to do and probably file a lawsuit on your behalf in court. Your lawyer will give you legal representation and guidance in each step of the lawsuit process.
Before proceeding to trial, your lawyer and the insurer will try and reach a fair settlement. Settlements are often agreed upon at this point. Still, if you need to go to trial, your lawyer will safeguard your legal rights and fight on your behalf to receive the amount of settlement you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer serving Jeanerette, call (337) 777-7777
Steps to Follow After a Motorcycle Accident
Accidents on the road can happen suddenly and may lead to significant disorientation in the aftermath. Here are steps to take after a motorcycle accident to protect your health and claim:
- Seek medical treatment and assessment for injuries: Immediately after a motorcycle accident, assess yourself and others for injuries. If someone appears to have sustained injuries, call the paramedics for medical help right away. Even if the injuries seem minor in the beginning, they can worsen without prompt medical care. Head injuries can worsen and even become fatal if not immediately checked by a doctor.
- Collect evidence, personal and insurance information: It’s essential to collect the personal information of all motorists involved in the incident, such as names, phone numbers, license numbers, and insurance information of all drivers. If your injuries are minor, you can also take photos or videos of the accident scene and note eyewitness contacts for future use. Since your lawyer will use this evidence to prove negligence, it can be significant to your case.
- Contact the police: According to the law, you must notify the police after an accident. It’s essential to report accidents that have caused at least $500 in property damage. Also, getting the police at the accident scene as soon as possible helps build a solid legal case. The police will write a report of the accident that you can use when filing your injury claim.
- Take note of your surroundings: Being aware of your location, surroundings, and time can be beneficial to building your case. If possible, take pictures of the accident scene. You can use your cell phone to take photos of all the vehicles involved in the crash, your injuries, and what you see around the scene. Even details that may seem minor can turn out to be useful or relevant to your case.
- Contact a motorcycle accident lawyer: One of the most important calls you can make after a motorcycle accident is contacting a lawyer. Having legal guidance through the claim process increases the chances of receiving the compensation you deserve. The lawyer will collect evidence to build a strong case against the negligent party.
Jeanerette Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Since motorcyclists lack a protective structure like other vehicles, injuries and fatalities are unfortunately much too common in these types of accidents. Here are a few causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Reckless Driving: Many motorcycle accidents happen due to careless driving. When operating a motorcycle, make sure that all of your attention is on the road. Many motorcycle accidents occur at intersections because other motorists fail to see the motorcycle approaching.
- Alcohol Use: It’s illegal to operate any motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. Most motorcycle crashes with reported damages and injuries involve alcohol use and therefore likely could have been avoided.
- Improper or Lack of a License: Before operating a motorcycle, be sure you obtain a motorcycle license. It is unlawful for a motorcyclist to operate a motorcycle without a license. Licensing tests train motorcyclists on how to drive a motorcycle safely and avoid danger on the roads.
Click to contact our Jeanerette Personal Injury Lawyers today
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for a Free Consultation
Hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer after your accident could make all the difference in your injury claim. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we are ready to assist you in filing a claim for motorcycle-related injuries, damages and negotiating a fair settlement. We require no upfront fees or costs to get started on your case, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form