Trucks on our roads are a common sight and are a crucial part of the economy, transporting products such as foodstuff to different regions to meet the needs of the growing population. However, trucks are prone to causing accidents, like any other vehicle. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) outlined that at minimum, one large commercial truck or bus is involved in at least 13% of all fatal accidents on roads in the United States.
A truck accident can be a life-changing experience due to trauma or injuries sustained, especially if they lead to impairment. If you were a victim in a truck accident, you might be entitled to financial compensation due to the injuries, damages, and monetary loss incurred afterward. Although the law allows you to file and pursue such a claim yourself, it would be best to seek legal help.
How a Lawyer Can Help You
You can seek the services of a truck accident lawyer to help with the claim filing process if you’re in this situation. The lawyer will help you pursue compensation for damages and any monetary loss incurred. Depending on your case, a lawyer will usually need to:
- Collect evidence
- Help determine the value of your claim
- File the claim on your behalf
- Negotiate with the insurer for the best settlement
A Scott truck accident lawyer will offer legal advice and safeguard your interests, increasing your chances of receiving a fair settlement from the insurer.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accident lawyer serving Scott, call (337) 777-7777
Steps to Take After a Truck Accident
After a truck accident, consider following these steps to ensure you receive immediate medical care and assist your lawyer to file your claim without any delays:
- Call 911: Immediately after an accident has happened, call 911. The operator will send emergency medical services and inform the police. According to the law, any accident that results in significant property damages and injuries must be reported to the authorities. Also, the police will write an accident report, which is very useful while filing your claim.
- Take videos and photos: After an accident, if you have not suffered severe injuries, it’s advisable to take pictures and videos of damages caused and injuries sustained. If you are in critical condition, you can request a family member or friend to take the videos and photos. The images and footage will serve as an essential part of evidence during your claim.
- Exchange information and contacts with other drivers: After an accident, make sure you exchange information with the other drivers, such as addresses, names, and phone numbers for future use. Your lawyer may need to interview them after the accident.
- Seek medical care: Seek medical treatment after an accident, even if the injuries are minor. Also, make sure to keep a history of all your medical records because your lawyer will use them as evidence when filing your claim.
- Hire a truck accident lawyer: Lawyers will help you collect evidence since they know the leading causes of truck accidents and understand where crucial evidence can be discovered to strengthen your claim.
Scott Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Many safety measures have been put in place for commercial truck drivers, but accidents still happen at an alarming rate. Many factors can lead to a truck accident that results in fatalities or serious injuries. Here are some of the common causes of truck accidents:
- Driver Negligence: This is the primary cause of truck accidents. The driver can cause an accident by driving under the influence or speeding. Truck drivers also experience fatigue due to long hours on the road, which can cause miscalculations or misjudgment, leading to a crash.
- Poor Truck Maintenance:The trucking company should ensure regular truck maintenance. Also, the truck driver should perform pre-trip checks to ensure the truck is in proper working condition. A poorly maintained truck will experience failed brakes or burst tires, leading to catastrophic consequences.
- Truck Overloading: Truck loaders are responsible for loading the trucks and observing specific regulations. Failure to follow these instructions will lead to an unbalanced load and cause the car to lose balance, causing a crash. It’s also the driver’s responsibility to inspect the cargo before starting the trip.
- Bad Weather and Roads: Truck accidents can occur due to poor visibility when the weather is terrible. For example, the roads can be slippery when foggy or heavily snowing. Also, poorly maintained roads can lead to accidents since the driver can quickly lose control.
If you are unsure of the cause of your truck accident, a lawyer could investigate and identify the cause.
Liable Parties in Truck Accidents
Identifying the liable party after a truck accident can be challenging since several individuals and entities can be responsible for the accident. A truck accident lawyer will investigate the accident and collect the necessary evidence to identify the liable party. Here are several parties that can be held responsible:
- Truck Driver:A truck driver can cause an accident due to an error or negligence. A truck accident can happen due to drunk driving or speeding. Also, due to fatigue caused by long hours on the road, the driver can misjudge or miscalculate, causing a crash.
- Truck Manufacturers: Trucks are made with very sophisticated parts and technology essential to the truck’s safe operation. If the vehicle fails due to a manufacturer’s defect or error in installation, the manufacturer will be held liable for the accident.
- Trucking Company: It is the trucking company’s responsibility to ensure their drivers are qualified and properly licensed. The trucking company must also ensure new drivers are adequately trained and conduct background checks and perform random drug tests on the drivers.
- Loading Company: Loaders must follow specific instructions during the loading process. If the loading is done wrongly, it can lead to an accident due to load imbalance. In such a case, the loading company will be held liable.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Us Handle Your Truck Accident Claim
If you’ve been a truck accident victim, hire a truck accident lawyer to guide you through the claim process. Our team of lawyers at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers will strive to ensure you receive the financial compensation you deserve. We require no upfront fees to start working on your case, so don’t hesitate to contact us to schedule a free case review today.