In a matter of seconds, a car crash can turn your life upside down. Your wounds might need treatment and therapy for weeks or months. You might not be able to do the things you enjoy. Your injuries might limit your ability to support yourself and your family through gainful employment.
On top of all these inconveniences, you may find yourself battling with a claims adjuster to get the money you deserve. A Scott car accident lawyer can help you navigate the convoluted maze of the insurance claim process. If the case does not settle out of court, an attorney can be your legal advocate before a judge.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we help people who get injured by the carelessness of others. We are happy to speak with you and let you know if you are eligible for compensation. You can call us today at (337) 777-7777 for a no-cost case evaluation.
How Much Compensation You Can Get for a Scott Car Accident Injury Claim
We cannot determine how much compensation you might be able to collect for your injury claim from a car accident in Scott, Louisiana, until we investigate your situation. Every injury claim is unique. Your damages might be quite different from the other people in the accident, even those who were in the same vehicle as you. Your compensation will depend on the facts of your case.
Here are some examples of the types of damages we have won for our clients:
- Medical expenses. You can go after the cost of the medical care you need to treat your injuries. This category can include things like the ambulance, emergency room, imaging scans, blood work, surgery, and more.
- Lost wages. You might miss work without pay because of your trauma. Whether you get paid hourly, a salary, or have other forms of regular income like self-employment, we can factor in the cost of lost wages to your claim.
- Decreased earning capacity. Severe injuries can cause a person to be unable to meet the demands of working as they did before their accident. If you must cut back your hours or take a lower-paying position because of your injuries, you can seek compensation for this loss.
- Long-term care. After a devastating injury, a person might lose the ability to live independently. If you need daily assistance with medical treatments and personal care tasks, you might have to live in a long-term care facility.
- Non-economic losses. Not every impact from a car crash comes with an invoice or a receipt. These general damages have monetary value, nonetheless. Your claim can include things like disfigurement, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and pain and suffering, depending on the facts of your case.
- Wrongful death. We might be able to seek additional compensation for legal beneficiaries if a close relative died as the result of a car crash in Scott, Louisiana.
Before we can pursue compensation for your injuries, we will have to prove that the defendant is legally responsible for the harm you suffered.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
The Elements of Liability
We cannot act against everyone who happened to be in the accident without any evidence.
We must prove all these factors to hold any at-fault parties accountable for your losses:
Duty of Care
The defendant must have owed you a legal duty to not cause harm. It is generally a simple matter to show this obligation because everyone who operates a motor vehicle on public streets assumes this responsibility.
Breach of Duty
It is negligence when a person’s conduct does not measure up to the legal standard. Let’s say that a driver was texting while behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. As such, they did not devote their full attention to the road. This careless behavior constitutes negligence.
The accident must be the result of the negligent act. If the texting driver caused the collision due to distraction, this fact satisfies the requirement of causation.
You must have quantifiable losses to pursue a personal injury claim for a Scott car accident. Physical and emotional harm meets the requirements of this element.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Pitfalls to Avoid After a Car Accident
Many different things can sabotage your injury claim. You do not want to hinder your ability to receive compensation by factors that could have been easily avoided.
Here are some of the things you might want to consider:
The Claims Adjuster Is Not on Your Side
No matter how friendly or charming the claims adjuster might seem, you should always remember that they are obligated to act in the best interests of their company. Do not volunteer any unnecessary information, as this may work against you.
Do Not Miss the Deadline
Louisiana has one year from the date of your injuries (or loved one’s passing) to file a civil action, according to Louisiana Civil Code Article 3492. Your instance may not be a priority for your insurance company, and they may act slowly in adjusting your claim or offering you a settlement. If you miss any important deadlines, you may lose the right to get compensation for your injuries.
By working with a Scott car accident lawyer from the beginning, you can protect your rights. Working with a legal staff can keep you updated on impending deadlines and timeframes.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 to get started.
Do Not Settle Before You Complete Your Medical Treatment
Make sure that you complete all of your medical treatment and go to a follow-up visit with your doctor before you agree to a settlement amount. People often find out after the initial round of medical interventions that they need additional physical therapy or even surgery to achieve optimal healing.
When you settle your claim, you must sign papers that waive your right to additional compensation for your accident-related losses. If you find out later that you have lingering problems or need more medical care, the insurance company will not pay for those expenses. You might have thousands of dollars in medical bills to pay out of pocket.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
How to Get Legal Help from A Scott Car Accident Lawyer
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, our passion is helping people get their lives back on track after an injury. If you were injured in a car accident in Scott, Louisiana, you can call us today at (337) 777-7777 for a no-obligation, free consultation.