Mass tort litigation refers to situations in which hundreds or thousands of people get harmed by a product and file lawsuits. Courts might decide to join a large number of cases together into one massive lawsuit. Mass tort cases follow a different set of procedural rules that can be unique to a given group of cases.
If you got harmed by a product that is the subject of mass tort litigation, a Marksville Mass Torts lawyer could help you navigate this complicated process.
How Much Compensation You Can Get in a Mass Tort Case
Damages you can claim in mass tort cases are the same as for other personal injury cases. Your case could include a demand for compensation for these categories of losses:
If you had to get medical treatment for the harm you suffered from the product, that expense can be part of your claim. For example, if you developed a form of cancer from exposure to the product, your bills from diagnostic procedures, laboratory work, chemotherapy, radiation, and other healthcare services can be included in your case.
A devastating medical condition from a dangerous product may make you too sick to work. Time off of work may be sporadic because of surgery or other medical treatment; however, severe injuries and illness sometimes result in permanent loss of work or reduced ability to earn your pre-injury income. We can claim future income losses, too.
Pain and Suffering
Getting harmed by a defective product can cause a person physical discomfort, emotional distress, and inconvenience. Although these things do not usually come with hard evidence (like receipts) of their monetary value, we can assign a value to them that aims to mitigate these negative effects.
You might have additional out-of-pocket or personal losses that we can pursue on your behalf. Speak with your attorney about all the inconveniences you’ve suffered because of your injuries, so we can be sure to include them in your claim.
Wrongful Death Damages
If you lost a loved one because of a defective product, we hope to convey how sorry we are for your loss. The people we love add so much value to our lives–this loss of value is what we aim to recover in wrongful death cases. If you’ll allow us to take the lead on your case, we can pursue the following damages:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical bills incurred prior to your loved one’s passing
- Loss of financial support
- Loss of companionship
- The suffering of surviving family
For a free legal consultation with a mass torts lawyer serving Marksville, call (318) 310-8922
How We Can Help You Pursue Compensation In a Mass Tort Case
If you know or suspect that your illness or injuries are related to a defective product, our team can help you determine your eligibility to join a mass tort case. Once we take you on, we can offer the following services:
- Compiling evidence to support your case
- Investigating the company responsible for your injuries
- Organizing and filing relevant paperwork
- Meeting legal requirements and deadlines
- Communicating with insurers and at-fault parties
- Negotiating for a settlement or financial award alongside other lawyers in the mass tort
- Representing you in court proceedings
If a defective or dangerous product harmed you, you don’t deserve to suffer the financial and personal consequences on your own. Our firm wants to fight with you for life-improving compensation that can help you move forward.
Marksville Mass Torts Lawyer Near Me (318) 310-8922
Current Mass Tort Cases
Here are some of the mass tort lawsuits underway for defective products:
- Mesothelioma. Usually, asbestos exposure in the workplace is the cause of developing mesothelioma, a type of cancer.
- Roundup. This popular weedkiller is associated with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and other cancers.
- Hip replacement. Some hip replacement devices have failed and caused painful physical damage to bones and muscles.
- Hernia mesh. Surgeons often use hernia mesh to surgically repair hernias and support the affected tissue. Some of these meshes cause infections or damage organs with extreme scar tissue.
- Several prescription drugs cause dangerous side effects. Some well-known prescriptions have ended up in litigation over dangerous side effects. If you suspect your current health condition is linked to your prescription drug, an attorney can help you determine if you have a case.
There are many additional types of mass tort cases ongoing. Our firm can help you determine if you are eligible to join a mass tort lawsuit. We can represent you in your case and help you pursue compensation for your losses.
Click to contact our Marksville Personal Injury Lawyers today
How Long You Have to Join a Mass Tort Case
You do not have the luxury of time when it comes to taking legal action in a mass tort case. You have to file the product liability case within one year of the date of the incident or the date of discovery, according to CC Art. 3492. Under CC Art. 2315.2, you only have one year to file a wrongful death case for the loss of a loved one due to a defective or dangerous product.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Marksville Mass Torts Lawyer?
You will not have to pay any money upfront for us to represent you. We do not charge a deposit or fee to retain our lawyer. We handle mass tort cases on a contingency-fee basis, which means that we get paid a portion of the settlement or jury award at the end of the case. If you do not win, you do not owe us anything.
Three Steps to Prepare for Your First Meeting with a Marksville Mass Torts Lawyer
You will get the most benefit out of the initial meeting with an attorney if you prepare for the consultation. Here are a few things you might consider doing before the meeting:
- Write down a timeline of when you got exposed to the product that harmed you. Include all relevant information like the names and contact information of witnesses who can back up your claims.
- Keep as much of the product as possible in a safe location. For example, the actual bottle of the prescription medication that caused a negative side effect will help establish your eligibility to take legal action.
- Make a list of questions you want to ask the lawyer. It can be less stressful for you if you have a handy “cheat sheet” of things you want to find out from the attorney.
Reach Out Today for Your Free Consultation
You can reach out to Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers to start the process. During your consultation, we can discuss your case and answer any questions you have about the process of pursuing compensation.
Call or text (318) 310-8922 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form