When you reach out to our firm, a Marksville dog bite lawyer can help you or a loved one seek damages for your injuries from a dog bite.
While many dog bites cause only minor injuries, others spread disease and may lead to lasting disabilities or disfigurement. You may deserve compensation to treat these injuries and limit the long-term effects of a dog bite as much as possible. If you are unsure where to begin, our team offers a no-obligation, complimentary case review so you can get all of your questions answered.
Why It May Be in Your Best Interests to Hire a Marksville Dog Bite Lawyer
Each state has procedures for determining legal liability for a dog bite. Whereas some states do not require the plaintiff to prove liability, Louisiana does. Louisiana dog bites fall under personal injury law in Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §2321.
An Avoyelles Parish dog attack attorney from our team can help you or a loved one determine who is liable for your injuries. The owner of the dog is generally liable for their animal’s damages if:
- They were aware or should have been aware that their dog’s behavior could cause harm.
- They could have taken reasonable care to prevent the harm.
- They did not take reasonable care.
- The injured individual did not provoke the dog to attack.
A dog owner who lets their dog out in the yard without a leash or a fence, knowing that their dog could act aggressively, is not taking reasonable care to prevent harm. If a neighbor walks by and does not provoke the dog yet suffers a bite, the dog’s owner will likely be found liable.
This statute covers not only dog bites but also other injuries caused by a dog’s actions. For example, if a dog jumps on someone and knocks them over, the owner could be liable for any injuries the person incurred from their fall.
With the help of a personal injury attorney from our office in Marksville, the injured person could seek compensation under this law for the damage caused by the dog.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Marksville, call (318) 310-8922
What Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Can Do for You After a Dog Bite in Marksville
Our firm’s mission is to help those in need, including dog bite victims. Whether a dog bit you or your loved one is the victim of an attack, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers will prioritize your case.
Our team can assist you by:
- Defending your rights: Defending you will be our priority. Our attorneys will protect you from any party that wants to see your case fail, such as an insurance company, dog owner, or attorney. We will handle all case-related communications so these parties can’t breach your rights.
- Investigating the cause of your dog bite: We must learn how and why your dog bite accident happened. Whether a dog was loose, an owner failed to maintain control of the dog’s leash, or other circumstances led to your dog bite, we will gather all relevant facts of your case.
- Identifying those liable for your damages: At the end of our investigation, we’ll zero in on those who owe you compensation. These are the parties we will name in your insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Preserving evidence: Evidence is a key variable in every dog bite case. Our firm will pursue all useful evidence, which may include witness accounts, video footage, photographs of your injuries, incident reports, and more. Our team will preserve this evidence until it’s time to use it during negotiations or trial.
- Retaining experts: Our firm can hire experts for your case. We will pay the cost of hiring them, and these experts may testify, reconstruct your accident, and assist us in other ways.
Winning your case is our goal. We also want you to be satisfied with the way we represent you. Our team will:
- Speak with you and your loved ones, answer your questions, and learn about the effects of your dog bite
- Respond as quickly as possible to your calls, text messages, and emails
- Handle each interaction with empathy and compassion
- Try to accommodate any requests you have for our team
- Give you case updates as circumstances change
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers has roots in Louisiana, and we fight for those unnecessarily harmed by dog bites in our home state.
Client Testimonials Supporting Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers
Past clients have provided positive feedback for our Marksville office, such as:
- “Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is a great law firm! Wonderful team and extremely knowledgeable paralegals.” -CJ, former client
- “I am very impressed with the service I received. They quickly responded to my request and made the whole process very easy. They really take the time to explain everything to you and discuss your options and expectations. Communication was great and they were always available to answer my questions. They truly fight for you and I’m very happy with how my case was resolved. I would definitely recommend their service to others.” -Charlene, former client
- “I am definitely satisfied and grateful that I have chosen [Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers] as my personal attorneys. They are extremely professional and give me personal attention.” -Michelle, former client
Our team is ready to pursue similar results for you.
Marksville Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me (318) 310-8922
Filing Within the Statute of Limitations
People who suffer from a dog bite generally have only one year from the date of their injury to file a case for damages per CC Art. 3492. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations.
Missing this deadline generally prevents the injured individual from filing a lawsuit and bars them from any possible recovery. Potential plaintiffs should also understand that the sooner an Avoyelles Parish dog bite attorney can collect evidence in their case, such as pictures of the bite and medical records, the stronger their case may be.
How Do You Prove Negligence in a Dog Bite Case?
Dog bite laws in Marksville are based on strict negligence laws. This means that to be awarded damages, the plaintiff in a dog bite case must show that the owner breached their duty of care by failing to control or restrain the dog and prevent a foreseeable injury. This differs from ordinary negligence cases where a plaintiff must also demonstrate they suffered injuries that another negligent party directly caused.
Injured plaintiffs may need to discuss the circumstances surrounding their injury with a Marksville dog bite lawyer to determine if these facts can be proven in a civil court of law. Our team can review your case at no cost to you.
It is important to note that if the injured individual provoked the dog to bite or otherwise injure them, the dog’s owner may not be liable for the plaintiff’s damages. It may be unlikely that a Marksville court will compensate a plaintiff in this instance.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Recoverable Damages After a Dog Attack
When a plaintiff files a lawsuit, their objective is to either receive a fair settlement in the case or go to trial and have the jury award them compensation. The value of settlements or trial verdicts depends on the damages suffered by the dog attack victim. Recoverable damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of a limb or bodily function
- Medical and surgical bills
- Physical or occupational therapy
- Loss of society
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost wages or future earning capacity
When we review your case, our team will account for each damage you have suffered. This includes losses and expenses you have already experienced and those you may experience in the future.
Talk to Our Team Today About Hiring a Marksville Dog Bite Attorney for Your Case
If a dog bite recently injured you, you might benefit from compassionate legal assistance. A Marksville dog bite lawyer can help you pursue compensation for your physical injuries, pain and suffering, and any therapy or future medical expenses you require.
When you choose us to represent you, an attorney from our firm will help you navigate complex Louisiana laws and work to prove the facts of your case. Consult with our team about hiring our attorneys today.