Catastrophic injuries are defined as those which leave people with serious and permanent disabilities. These injuries could have a long-term impact on your lifestyle and quality of life for many years to come, and in many instances, the disability may be lifelong.
If you or a person you care about is suffering from a catastrophic injury sustained in an accident, you can contact an attorney for help pursuing a claim or lawsuit. A Marksville catastrophic injury lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can explain every step of the claims and legal processes and help you seek a favorable settlement or jury verdict.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
Catastrophic injuries can take various forms, with spinal cord injury, head injury, burns, amputation, scarring, and paralysis being a few examples. An accident victim could sustain catastrophic injuries in a motor vehicle accident, construction accident, workplace accident, through medical malpractice, or even during an intentional criminal act.
When an accident victim makes a claim for a catastrophic personal injury, they must demonstrate a causal connection between their accident and their injuries. The accident, therefore, must be a cause of the catastrophic injury from which the accident victim suffers. In some cases, a medical expert may need to establish this connection and speak to the condition’s permanence.
For a free legal consultation with a catastrophic injury lawyer serving Marksville, call (318) 333-3198
Filing a Catastrophic Injury Claim in Marksville
Victims of catastrophic injuries have the right to file a claim or lawsuit against the at-fault person or entity. In the case of a motor vehicle, pedestrian, or bicycle accident, the accident victim could file a claim against the at-fault driver. For example, if the driver breaks a traffic law, engages in careless or distracted driving, or operates their motor vehicle while intoxicated, they could be considered legally at fault and therefore liable for damages.
If the accident victim sustains their injury while they are on the job and working within the scope of their employment, they might be eligible to file a claim for workers’ compensation.
Additionally, if an accident victim suffers a catastrophic injury because of a defective product, they may file a claim against the product manufacturer. A Marksville catastrophic injury attorney can review specific accident circumstances and help you determine which kind of claim to file and who to file your claim against.
Marksville Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Near Me (318) 333-3198
Potential Recoverable Damages in Catastrophic Injury Cases
By definition, catastrophic injuries sustained in an accident are life-changing ordeals. Although the associated costs for medical treatment can be significant, catastrophic injuries can also warrant compensation for loss of earnings, diminished quality of life, and pain and suffering.
Catastrophic injuries can also have a permanent impact on the nervous system and could preclude you from being able to care for yourself. In such instances, you could be eligible for a compensation package that includes lifetime caregiving services.
You could also seek to recover the anticipated cost of future medical procedures. A catastrophic injury lawyer in Marksville can work with you to identify all recoverable losses and seek appropriate financial restitution for you (or your loved one).
Hiring an Avoyelles Parish Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
We’re here to help after you’ve suffered one or more catastrophic injuries.
Many accident victims find that injuries, paired with emotional and psychological stress, are overwhelming. Handling a legal case on their own is simply out of the question. When injuries are of a catastrophic nature, the decision to hire our firm may be an easy one.
Our firm’s services may allow you to:
- Make sense of the challenges ahead: Catastrophic injuries are truly life-changing. Making sense of your situation will take time. Because we will be dealing with the legal process for you, you and your loved ones will have the necessary time and space to comprehend what has occurred.
- Make recovery the priority: When you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury, medical care becomes a major part of your life. You may need to see doctors, complete rehabilitation, and rest on a regular basis. By handling your case, we will spare more time for you to focus on recovery.
- Remove a significant concern from your mind: You have enough concerns right now. Trying to manage the duties of a lawsuit or insurance claim will add several more challenges to your life. Let us take all case-related worries off of your mind.
We hate to see anyone suffer catastrophic injuries. When these injuries happen, though, we know that lawsuits and insurance claims are often the only forms of justice. Our firm will fight to see justice done for you or your loved one.
Reviews Show How We Fight for Our Clients
Our team strives for complete client satisfaction, as our testimonials show:
- “I’m sure they have hundreds of clients, if not thousands, but they honestly make me feel like the only client they have. They’re very attentive very professional and I wouldn’t want to be on the wrong end of a lawsuit with them.” – Larry Lawrence
- “Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers are some of the most professional and knowledgeable lawyers you will ever find. Their lawyers are considerate and respectful, but most of all, they treat you as family. Outside of their office, they have made a lasting impression on the community through programs such as Bike It Forward and sponsoring at Festival International. You won’t find a group more committed to their clients and the community.” – Mattea Tingle
- “I am very impressed with the service I received. They quickly responded to my request and made the whole process very easy. They really take the time to explain everything to you and discuss your options and expectations. Communication was great and they were always available to answer my questions. They truly fight for you and I’m very happy with how my case was resolved. I would definitely recommend their service to others.” – Charlene Veney
While client reviews mean very much to us, we provide our best effort to each client because it’s the right thing to do. Expect our attorneys to serve you with the empathy and attentiveness that is characteristic of our firm.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What are Catastrophic Injuries?
By most definitions, a catastrophic injury is one that impairs the victim to the extent that they are no longer able to work for a living. These injuries often require extensive medical and long-term life care, as victims may be unable to perform day-to-day tasks. Subsequently, individuals who suffer these types of injuries may have high medical expenses and no way to earn a wage.
Examples of common catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain damage
- Spinal cord damage that results in partial or total paralysis
- Injuries that result in the loss of a limb, vision, or hearing
- Injuries that result in permanent damage to or loss of function of an organ
- Severe burn injuries causing scarring or disfigurement
With the representation of an Avoyelles Parish catastrophic injury attorney, victims may be able to recover compensation to help cover their medical and long-term care expenses, as well as their past and future lost wages and their pain and suffering. Additionally, Louisiana does not cap or limit the amount of compensation a civil plaintiff can receive for either economic or non-economic damages.
Applying Comparative Negligence in Avoyelles Parish
In many civil cases, the defendant will introduce the concept of comparative negligence in an attempt to minimize or avoid liability. When this occurs, the court must consider the possibility that the plaintiff bears some fault in causing their own injuries under CC Art. 2323.
A plaintiff found partially liable for their own accident could still receive damages, but those damages would be reduced by their percentage of liability. For example, if the court finds a plaintiff 30 percent liable, they could only recover 70 percent of their damages at most.
Call a Marksville Catastrophic Injury Attorney Today
If you or a loved one experienced a catastrophic injury in a serious accident, you should not delay in seeking compensation from the at-fault party. There is a limited time to take legal action for injuries in Louisiana, and you want to give your legal team as much time as possible to build a strong case.
A Marksville catastrophic injury lawyer from our firm will be on your side every step of the way. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today to get started.