Although riding a motorcycle is fun and appealing, accidents unfortunately happen, and they can be devastating. With very little protection involved, motorcyclists end up sustaining life-threatening injuries or even death. The Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that more than 5,000 motorcyclists die in these accidents every year.
If you’ve recently been injured in a motorcycle accident in Lawtell, consider consulting a motorcycle accident lawyer. A legal expert could guide you through the claim process and help you recover the compensation you deserve for any damages and losses incurred.
Why You Need a Lawtell Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcyclists seem to have a reputation for reckless behavior on public roads. As a result, they oftentimes get the blame whenever a motorcycle accident occurs. Even the safest and most responsible motorcyclists will encounter many difficulties when recovering compensation. Insurance companies profit by paying as little as possible to accident victims. Therefore, it’s likely that the defendant’s insurance provider will do everything possible to shift the blame to you or deny your claim.
To better your chances of recovering compensation and getting justice in your case, enlist the services of a Lawtell motorcycle accident lawyer. Depending on your case, a lawyer will do the following:
- Explain your rights and advise you on the most appropriate legal action to take
- Conduct an investigation and gather evidence related to the accident
- Compose and send out a demand letter to the defendant’s insurance provider
- Review your medical records and the police reports
- Interview witnesses present at the scene and record their statements
- Consult accident reconstruction experts to help establish liability in the case
- Handle all communications with the insurance providers on your behalf
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance provider
- Represent you in a court trial if a fair settlement isn’t reached
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer serving Lawtell, call (337) 777-7777
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Determining the cause of the motorcycle accident is undoubtedly one of the main steps towards recovering compensation. Various factors lead to motorcycle accidents in Lawtell. You should be aware of the following factors to keep yourself and other road users safe:
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Dangerous lane changes
- Unsafe turns
- Weaving through traffic
- Distracted driving
- Failing to notice traffic signs
- Not paying attention to other riders and drivers
- Riding without protective gear
- Not yielding when appropriate
- Riding without a valid motorcycle license
- Reckless driving
Lawtell Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Generally, motorcycles do not offer the same degree of protection as vehicles. Occupants in cars are usually protected by an enclosed cabin, seat belts, airbags, and other safety features. Therefore, when an accident happens, the motorcyclists will usually sustain devastating injuries and undergo a lengthy recovery process before returning back to their everyday life.
On the other hand, the vehicle occupants will likely suffer minor injuries or none at all, depending on the impact. The following are the most common injuries associated with motorcycle accidents:
- Spinal Cord Trauma: When a motorcyclist is thrown across the road, they may end up injuring their spinal cord or fracturing their back. Such injuries can easily lead to temporary or permanent disabilities.
- Head Trauma: The motorcyclist may hit their head against the pavement or the oncoming vehicle during a collision and suffer severe brain injuries. These injuries can be life-threatening if the rider is not wearing a protective helmet.
- Road Rash: During a collision with a motor vehicle, a motorcyclist could slide across the road and sustain burn-like injuries to their skin. This is why experts recommend that motorcyclists wear protective gear, such as jackets, kneepads, and jackets, at all times.
- Bone Fractures: Motorcycle accidents can also result in bone fractures, especially if the motorcyclist is not wearing protective gear. Such injuries usually require extensive physical therapy before the victim can regain mobility and proper functioning.
- Facial Injuries: Facial injuries to the nose and eyes are common in motorcycle accidents. If the injuries are severe, they can lead to loss of vision and a broken nose. Experts recommend that motorcyclists wear goggles and adequately fitting helmets to protect their faces against such injuries.
- Internal Injuries: Sometimes, motorcycle accidents can inflict trauma to body organs and result in internal bleeding. These injuries may not be visible right after the accident. Therefore, be sure to seek medical attention immediately after the accident, even if you feel fine.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident in Lawtell due to someone else’s negligence, you could recover both economic and non-economic damages. The compensation you receive is meant to reinstate you back in the financial position you would’ve been if the motorcycle accident had not happened. The economic damages include the following:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Motorcycle repairs or replacement
- Lost benefits
Non-economic damages include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Reduced quality of life
- Temporary or permanent disabilities
- Funeral and burial expenses, if the victim dies as a result of the accident
- Loss of consortium for the victim’s spouse or partner
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Statute of Limitations for Motorcycle Accident Cases
After you’re involved in a motorcycle accident, you should file an insurance claim as soon as possible. Under Louisiana state law CC Art. 3492, claims for motorcycle accidents should be filed within one year from the accident date. This one-year time limit also applies to wrongful death cases related to motorcycle accidents, with it starting from the date that the victim dies. If you don’t file for compensation within this time limit, your claim may be deemed invalid.
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for Free Consultation
Proving liability in a motorcycle accident case is not an easy task. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we are ready to help you build a strong case against the defendant, negotiate with the insurer, litigate if necessary, and ensure you get fair compensation. Contact us today for a free consultation, we require no upfront payments to get started on your case.