Every day, several motorists sustain minor, severe, and fatal injuries across the United States due to crashes. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 4,985 motorcyclists were killed in 2018. Several others sustained both minor and severe injuries.
If you’re a victim of a motorcycle accident in Baton Rouge, you may have a right to claim damages from the at-fault party. To ensure a fair settlement, you should consider working with a motorcycle accident lawyer in your area. Your lawyer will investigate your case and help you claim compensation.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Baton Rouge
Several motorcycle accidents occur due to negligence. Depending on the cause of the accident, motorcyclists, drivers, motorcycle manufacturers, and other parties can all be held liable. These accidents are commonly caused by:
- Speeding: This is a leading cause of motorcycle accidents. Speeding affects your ability to see or react in time to other drivers’ mistakes or hazards, which may cause you to crash. Furthermore, speeding can result in a head-on collision or other types of accidents, and the higher the speed, the more significant the crash impact and the severity of the effects.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: There are several rules on how to safely changing lanes. However, some motorcyclists fail to adhere to these rules and risk colliding with other road users. It’s always vital to check your blind spots.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting or driving between two lanes is illegal in several states. While this can help you evade traffic jams, it can put you dangerously close to other vehicles. If the vehicles move suddenly, you will not have enough time to react. Lane splitting reduces the amount of space to maneuver and vehicles do not always anticipate that motorcyclists will try to pass them in traffic.
- Left-hand Turns: Left-hand turn accidents occur when a car fails to indicate that it’s making a left-hand turn or when the motorcyclist attempts to overtake a vehicle waiting to make a left-hand turn from behind. These accidents occur when the rider is going straight through an intersection. Although this type of accident is common between two cars, motorcycles are more vulnerable due to their size.
- Unsafe Road Conditions:The presence of potholes, debris, crumbling pavements, and lack of the necessary safety signals can increase the chances of a motorcyclist losing control, resulting in an accident.
- Distractions and Driving While Intoxicated (DWI): Driving while under the influence of alcohol is also a common cause of motorcycle accidents. These accidents mostly occur at stops signs or intersections, drivers guilty of DWI can face strict penalties or jail time.
- Sudden Stops and Car Doors: These are accidents that occur when a driver or a passenger of a car opens a door in a motorcyclist’s path. The motorcyclist driver can slam into the door, resulting in serious injuries. Car door accidents are very common in lane splitting. Following vehicles too closely put motorcyclists at risk of rear-end accidents, especially if the vehicles stop suddenly.
You should consider hiring a lawyer that is familiar with these cases to ensure you file the claim according to state laws. Your lawyer will investigate the cause of the crash, establish negligence, and file a claim or lawsuit.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
What You Should Do After a Motorcycle Accident
The validity and value of your claim depends on the actions you take or what you say after the accident. To protect your legal rights for compensation and ensure you have a strong case, you should:
- Call 911
- Seek medical attention
- Collects witness statements and driver information
- Take pictures of your injuries and property damages
- Take pictures of the crash scene
- Call your motorcycle insurance company
- Hire a motorcycle accident lawyer
It would be wise to contact a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident before you talk to anyone else. Your lawyer will help preserve the evidence you have and advise you on protecting the case. Avoid sharing pictures of your injuries or any information about the accident on your social media pages during the claiming process.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Damages in Motorcycle Accidents
Handling insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you have no experience. In an accident, a motorcyclist can be exposed to severe injuries, fatalities, damages, and financial losses. If you’re a victim of a motorcycle crash, you can claim various economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages and loss of future income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium or loss of enjoyment
- Emotional anguish
- Property damages
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Disability or loss of limb or limbs
- Medical devices and modifications to your home
Note that medical expenses include ambulance services and rehabilitation costs. Your lawyer will consider all expenses and the effects of the accident, value your claim, and negotiate for a settlement with the liable party. If they fail to agree, your lawyer will file a lawsuit and take the case to trial.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
What If your Case Goes to Trial?
If your case goes to trial, the court can also award punitive damages. If the accident was fatal, the victim’s family members can file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit and seek compensation for medical bills, funeral and burial expenses, loss of consortium, or lost income.
Therefore, be sure to keep proper medical records and receipts to ensure you get the best compensation. Accurate documentation, expert testimonies, and other valuable reports are the crucial pieces of evidence that your lawyer will use to defend your case.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Call a Baton Rouge Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you want to claim compensation after a motorcycle accident, it may be best to consult a lawyer as soon as possible. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we can handle the claim process on your behalf and give you time to concentrate on your recovery. If you or a loved one was recently in a motorcycle accident in Baton Rouge, contact us for a free case review.