After losing a loved one, you may have concerns about the future. You may face large medical bills in addition to other related expenses. The cost of your loved one’s funeral alone could jeopardize your financial resources. Yet, you don’t have to manage the legal aftermath of losing a loved one alone.
A Lawtell wrongful death lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can manage the claims process and everything it entails. It costs you nothing up front to partner with our team because we work on a contingency-fee basis. We’re prepared to start advocating for you and your family today.
We Advocate for Wrongful Death Claimants in These Situations
Our team manages a wide array of practice areas, many of which involve wrongful death. Some of these practice areas include:
- Medical malpractice
- Car accidents
- Truck collisions
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Product liability, including fatal injuries involving defective medical devices
- Maritime accidents
- On-the-job accidents
- Premises liability incidents, such as slips and falls
Each of these incidents can involve multiple liable parties, complicating the path to compensation. That’s where our years of experience come in. We will combat uncooperative insurance adjusters, lawyers, and witnesses. We want you to recover everything you need to promote your quality of life and account for your loved one’s passing.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Lawtell, call (337) 777-7777
Compensatory Damages in a Lawtell Wrongful Death Claim
These are some compensatory damages you may recover after filing a wrongful death claim:
- Medical expenses your loved one required before their passing
- Loss of future earnings and benefits
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of inheritance
- Pain and suffering endured by your loved one before their passing
- Funeral and burial expenses
Our years of experience have taught us that every wrongful death case is different. So, you may seek other damages than those listed here. We will use documentation to assert your case’s “value” and account for any projected losses.
Lawtell Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Our Louisiana Injury Team Will Manage Everything Your Case Requires
Your Lawtell wrongful death lawyer will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into what led to your loved one’s passing
- Gather evidence to prove fault and liability
- Interview witnesses present at the accident scene and record their statements
- Evaluate all damages your family has incurred
- Handle all communications between you and the other parties
- Negotiate a full and fair settlement on your behalf
- Take your case to trial
We will also ensure that your wrongful death lawsuit is filed in accordance with Louisiana’s statute of limitations. CC Art. 2315.2 notes that you have one year to file your wrongful death lawsuit. By contacting our team today, you can set your case in motion and protect your right to damages.
We Will Prove That Negligence Led to Your Loved One’s Passing in Lawtell
Many wrongful death cases require us to prove negligence––meaning that because another party acted recklessly, they caused your loved one’s passing. The American Bar Association (ABA) requires your case’s evidence to show:
Duty of Care: Another Party Had To Act with Caution
We must show that another party had a civil and moral obligation to act with reasonable care. For instance, all motorists must obey traffic lights, avoid speeding, and refrain from drunk driving.
Why? Because doing so protects other road users’ safety.
Breach of Duty: Another Party Acted Recklessly
We must prove that, despite their duty of care, the other party violated this obligation. When a motorist speeds, they breach their duty of care.
How have they breached their duty of care? Because they’ve put other road users’ safety in jeopardy.
Causation: A Reckless Act Caused Your Loved One’s Passing
Now, we must establish that because the other party breached their duty of care, they caused your loved one’s passing. Evidence to support causation depends on your situation, such as traffic camera footage, your loved one’s medical records, and eyewitness testimony.
Damages: You Have Various Losses
Finally, we must establish that because your loved one passed away, you have various losses, such as funeral and burial costs. We will use billing statements, estimates, and receipts to establish this factor.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Lawtell, LA?
CC Art. 2315.2 notes that the following people can file a wrongful death claim in Louisiana:
- The decedent’s spouse: The decedent’s spouse has the right to file a wrongful death claim and seek recovery for loss of consortium and other damages.
- The decedent’s children: If you lost a parent, you can seek recovery for your various expenses. Alternatively, if a child under 18 years old wants to file a lawsuit, the statute of limitations may pause until they reach the age of majority. We can examine whether this filing extension applies to your case.
- The decedent’s parents: A parent can also file a wrongful death claim if their child passed away. It does not matter whether the child was a minor or an adult at the time of their passing; their parents could still have the right to take action.
- The decedent’s siblings: In some cases, the decedent’s siblings can file a wrongful death case. This applies if the decedent didn’t have a surviving spouse, child, or parent.
The deceased grandparents can also initiate legal action if the decedent didn’t have a spouse, child, parent, or sibling.
What Do Personal Injury Claimants Have To Share About Our Firm?
We are constantly evaluating client feedback so we can provide quality customer service. Some have disclosed:
- “We met in the curve, and we hit head on. I knew the hospital bill was going to be way more than we could imagine. Digger helped me a lot. If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t be in the position I am right now.” ––Carl
- “I made an appointment with David and it was a real good experience. He worked with me all the way and was like a good friend in a time of need. I don’t think anybody could have done a better job than he did.” ––Keith
- “I felt secure; I felt that he was protecting me and my family, and he was going to get what us what we deserved. He was a great lawyer and went above and beyond.” ––Kelsie
Call Our Team Today To Begin Your Free Case Review
Let our team take the burden of a wrongful death case off your hands. To begin your free case review with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, call now.