Getting into a bicycle accident can yield catastrophic outcomes like severe injury and death. Some injuries may require extensive medical treatments that are expensive, even with insurance, and the victim might be unable to work during this downtime. For most people, being out of work means no pay, which triggers financial strain that impacts mortgage payments, car payments, and other obligations.
If you or your loved one is involved in such a circumstance, a Fort Polk bicycle accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers could help you claim compensation from the at-fault party or parties.
Why Hire Our Fort Polk Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
When you’re involved in such an accident, it’s prudent that you retain legal counsel right away to safeguard your rights. Your attorney will:
- Make arrangements to start the medical treatment process
- Take up your case on a contingency basis
- Launch an investigation to understand how the accident happened
- Gather enough evidence to support your claim
- Help you make the right decisions as the legal process unfolds
- Give emotional support during this tumultuous time
- Help you file a personal injury suit within one year after the accident, according to CC Art. 3492
- Negotiate a generous settlement with the insurance adjusters
- Take your case to court if necessary
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer serving Fort Polk, call (337) 777-7777
Leading Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents in cities like Fort Polk occur due to these reasons:
Drivers who choose to operate vehicles while under the influence of drugs or alcohol can cause serious accidents. When their cognitive abilities are impaired, drivers cannot remember traffic rules or follow them efficiently.
When drivers of passenger and commercial vehicles refuse to obey traffic rules, they put cyclists in danger of being struck or run off the road. Sometimes, they could be deliberately ignoring cyclists and therefore refusing to yield.
Merging or Turning Incorrectly
Bicycles lack turning signals, meaning a driver cannot know if the cyclist intends to turn to another lane or street without clear hand signaling. In this accident, the oncoming vehicle crashes into the bike, pushing it on the asphalt and sometimes beneath the car.
Time of the Day
Many bicycle accidents occur at night. This trend could be linked to poor visibility and traffic congestion as people commute from work and other places.
Failure to follow speed guidelines usually leads to accidents. Drivers who travel too fast don’t have much time to react when they encounter changes on the road. A cyclist, for instance, could be approaching from a side street, and a driver fails to stop, hitting them.
Cyclists are prone to accidents, even when vehicles are parked. Without checking the side mirror, a driver opening their car door can send a cyclist flying over the pavement. Such accidents can happen in car parks, residential streets, and shopping malls.
Poor Road Maintenance
Potholes, uneven roads, obstructions, and other problems caused by poor maintenance expose cyclists to accidents. Oversized vehicles may not be badly affected, but a bicycle can go off balance upon striking a pothole. Poor weather can exacerbate things by making it harder to navigate challenging roads.
Fort Polk Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Injuries Linked to Bicycle Accidents
When an accident happens, the cyclist is more likely to sustain bodily harm than the driver and occupants of the vehicle. Some common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal bleeding
- Leg and knee injuries
- Bone fractures
- Soft-tissue injuries
In worse-case scenarios, victims of bicycle accidents die on the spot or succumb to their injuries while undergoing treatment. Our bicycle accident lawyer can help you file a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party or entity when this happens.
Damages You Can Get in a Bicycle Accident Claim
Depending on the extent of your injuries or damages and other relevant factors in your bicycle accident claim, you could recover the following:
- Medical Costs: This covers all expenses related to the accident, including emergency room visits, physical therapy, doctor visits, and prescription medication.
- Property Damage: Your lawyer would pursue this damage if your bicycle and other personal property (such as a phone or laptop) were damaged in the accident.
- Lost Income: If you were severely injured and unable to work after the accident, you could ask for all the income you consequently lost.
- Lost Earning Capacity: Suppose the accident left you hospitalized or maimed, and you can’t perform the same job as before. In that case, you could receive compensation for the lost earning capacity now and in the future.
- Pain and Suffering: This is a non-economic damage that seeks to compensate victims for the physical pain and mental anguish they suffer after an accident.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Safety Measures for Cyclists
As you can see above, there are many reasons for bicycle accidents. As such, you are responsible for protecting yourself and other road users whenever you choose to cycle in Vernon Parish.
Here are some helpful safety measures:
- Wear safety equipment, like helmets and kneepads, and fasten them properly
- Avoid distractions, like using your phone when riding
- Wear reflective clothing when cycling at night
- Maintain a safe distance from vehicles
- Install front and rear lights on your bicycle
- Signal motorists when turning or stopping
- Avoid riding on busy roads and highways if possible
Steps to Take Following a Bicycle Accident
Getting into a crash can leave you disoriented from the ordeal. If you’re lucky to sustain minor injuries, consider taking these steps to protect your rights:
- Report the accident to the police and request an ambulance
- Speak to witnesses and get their contact information
- Document the scene and your injuries
- Seek treatment after initial evaluation
- Refrain from accepting fault or taking any money
- Don’t contact insurance agents without legal counsel
- Hire a bicycle accident attorney from our firm to represent you
Consult Our Legal Team and Get the Compensation You Deserve
Were you involved in a bicycle accident? Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers are adept at helping clients like you get restitution from the at-fault party or parties. You get the most responsive representation, answers to all your questions, and utmost professionalism when you hire us.
Allow us to handle your legal matters as you focus on attaining full recovery. Contact us today for a free case review and more information.