Although bicycles are a popular transportation option, they also present various risks for riders who share the road with motorcycles, cars, and trucks. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cyclists are more likely to suffer severe injuries and fatalities in accidents when compared to vehicle occupants.
Bicycle injuries can also be expensive to treat, leaving victims and their families with a substantial financial burden. If you are in this situation, you could ease this burden by seeking compensation from the at-fault party. In such a case, our Erath bicycle accident lawyer can help you with the matter. You can speak with one of our team members about your case today for free.
How Our Erath Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Help Your Case
After sustaining injuries and other damages in a bicycle accident, you might be able to recover awards that compensate you. However, filing a successful claim and getting the awards you deserve can be complex and challenging. However, you can work with an attorney to help you manage your case.
When you hire our firm to represent you, our Erath bicycle accident lawyer will:
- Investigate to determine the accident’s cause
- Collect sufficient evidence to prove the other party’s liability
- Interview all witnesses at the accident scene and record their statements
- Assess your damages to determine your case’s value
- File a personal injury insurance claim on your behalf
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters for a fair settlement
- Take the matter to trial if we cannot settle your case outside of court
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer serving Erath, call (337) 777-7777
We Can Start on Your Erath Bicycle Case Today for Free
You can start your case against the liable party for free. Our firm works on contingency for our clients. This arrangement means they don’t pay us in advance for us to represent them. If we win their case, we receive a percentage of their settlement or court award as payment. If they don’t, they don’t owe us anything.
Contingency agreements allow clients to hire legal help without worrying about costs. It also allows us to get to work right away to protect their right to sue for their damages.
Erath Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Recoverable Damages in an Erath Bicycle Accident
Depending on your case, an Erath bicycle accident lawyer with our firm could help you pursue compensation for various damages, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages, bonuses, and benefits
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished life quality
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Wrongful Death Damages in an Erath Bicycle Accident
Our lawyer can also manage a wrongful death action if your loved one suffered fatal injuries in a bicycle accident in Erath. Per CC Art. 2315.2, certain surviving family members of the decedent who died because of another’s negligence can secure wrongful death damages.
If you are eligible under state law to recover this compensation, it can help you pay for your loved one’s funeral and burial expenses, medical bills, and more. We can discuss it further during a free case evaluation with our team.
Possible Liable Parties in Bicycle Accidents
Depending on the accident’s case, a driver, bicycle parts manufacturer, a government entity, or any other party can be liable for an accident. In some cases, a cyclist can also be partly responsible. Our lawyer can review your case to decide who should pay for the accident.
To determine liability, our lawyer must prove:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care.
- They breached their duty of care, such as failing to pay attention, deliberately breaking traffic rules, selling poor quality vehicle parts, or failing to maintain the road
- Their breach directly caused your accident.
- You suffered compensatory damages because of the actions of the at-fault party’s breach.
Every road user, including motorists and cyclists, must act responsibly while on the road. Although cyclists should also uphold a duty of care, vehicle drivers are held to a higher standard.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Erath
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), there were 1,089 fatal bicycle accidents in the U.S. in 2019. In populous states like Louisiana, cyclists deal with several motor vehicle drivers who may violate traffic laws, traffic congestion, and other risks.
Bicycle accidents are caused by the negligence of a driver, cyclist, or another party, primarily due to:
- Recklessness or distracted driving
- Weaving through traffic or unsafe lane changes
- Drivers attempting to pass cyclists on the road without enough room
- Following too closely
- Fatigue driving
- Drunk driving
- Mechanical or equipment failure
- Motorists pulling out from an alleyway, street, driveway, or parking lot into the path of a cyclist
- Poor road design or improper maintenance of walkways or sidewalks, leading to large cracks, potholes, or gaps on the pavement
- Road debris and wet pavement cause cyclists to lose control of their bicycles
- Suddenly opening car doors in front of a cyclist and striking them with it or forcing them into the traffic
- Being struck by a motorist in a rear or sideswipe collision
- Merging errors
- Excessive speeding affects the driver’s ability to stop in time
- Poor weather conditions, like poor visibility due to fog, rain, or snow, make cyclists invisible
The cause of a bicycle accident also determines who is at fault or liable for it. We can also work with experts to investigate an accident and gather evidence to prove fault and establish liability. Once we identify who owes you damages, we can seek compensation from them.
Statute of Limitations Deadline in Louisiana for an Erath Accident
As per CC Art. 3492, you only have one year from the accident date to sue to recover your losses in your Erath bicycle accident. This personal injury lawsuit deadline applies to anyone involved in the accident, including cyclists, pedestrians, passengers, drivers, and other road users.
Suppose the accident was fatal. In that case, the surviving dependents also have one year from the decedent’s death date to file a wrongful death action. If you fail to file a claim or suit by the deadline, you will likely lose your right to pursue damages from the liable party.
Common Erath Bicycle Accident Injuries
Like motorcyclists, cyclists are vulnerable and can sustain severe or fatal injuries during an accident. Some of the common injuries include:
- Fractures and dislocations
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Internal organs damage
- Severe injuries in the neck and throat
- Muscular, soft tissue injuries and strains lacerations
- Road rash and other minor injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Rib fractures and lung injury
- Internal bleeding
- Psychological issues, such as anxiety and depression
Despite the accident’s severity, it’s crucial to seek medical attention immediately. The doctor’s report, medical bills, and hospital records are vital evidence when claiming compensation. Also, some injuries can stay hidden and may become severe if they aren’t diagnosed on time.
Call Us Today for Legal Help With Your Erath Bicycle Accident Case
If you or a loved one suffered injury in a bicycle accident in Erath, you may have a right to claim compensation from the at-fault party or parties. An Erath bicycle accident lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can immediately protect your legal rights and help you seek compensation.
Contact us today for a free case review.